• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Model Issues

Trotskygrad;n2278568 said:
paying attention to little details in modeling and simulation are what can mkake a good game "great"

Great mechanics and fun, consistent, well-thought out gameplay are what make a game great IMO, not the matter of a millimeter detail on weapons. Again, not defending or attacking your stance, just saying that to some people, it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't mind them polishing up the guns to look spot-on, but it doesn't break my immersion.

It's not like they're toy guns or something...

Upvote 0
Skyrilla;n2278654 said:
Great mechanics and fun, consistent, well-thought out gameplay are what make a game great IMO, not the matter of a millimeter detail on weapons. Again, not defending or attacking your stance, just saying that to some people, it really doesn't matter. I wouldn't mind them polishing up the guns to look spot-on, but it doesn't break my immersion.

The only talk of a couple millimeters was on the M16's barrel. The discrepancies in the AK and M14 models are going to be more noticeable by more people.

The game's focus is on authenticity, so yes, the models should be as accurate as possible to give as much nuance to their design as possible. As such I think you are really downplaying the importance of visual and auditory feedback when it comes to making a "good" game "great." Good weapon models, animations, and sound design are much more important to an FPS's experience than you seem to realize.

Upvote 0
Jagdwyre;n2278658 said:
The only talk of a couple millimeters was on the M16's barrel. The discrepancies in the AK and M14 models are going to be more noticeable by more people.

The game's focus is on authenticity, so yes, the models should be as accurate as possible to give as much nuance to their design as possible. As such I think you are really downplaying the importance of visual and auditory feedback when it comes to making a "good" game "great." Good weapon models, animations, and sound design are much more important to an FPS's experience than you seem to realize.

not a small issue. They are using the M16A2 barrel, which is .750 inches, but the M16A1 uses a .675 barrel. Very important visually.

Upvote 0
Skyrilla;n2278654 said:

That millimeter difference can factor into gameplay if the simulation is deep enough.

Upvote 0
Trotskygrad;n2278204 said:
M14

M14's barrel to flash hider ratio is off. Flash Hider is too long, and barrel is too short from between the gas block and the front sight. Should be a simple fix
eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vcHV1LnNoL3NsR3p5LzNkMzNjNjZlMTAuanBnIn0.e-UwSNX2eZlqclgSFhwypt54sLA

fEL1vT5.png

.eJwNxcsRwiAQANBeKIBd_pAevGgFDEHCDAkMrF4ce9d3eR_2mo1t7CAaawPY60p97nxRn7FkXnovLcdRF0_9hEgU03HmixYIZ1F5a1ErY9EZI0FqHyRiwOCVUE4GhJvQEh95vmvKEu_12f6Nmvi4Cvv-AG2dJ6E.AudUa8VQBjGeDp5QHfetl5oQnhc

M16A1

M16A1's barrel profile is too thick
WEOys3J.png

h3jFmzq.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_nmrorzF1oo1s57vgxo6_1280.jpg

it lacks the stepping behind the flash hider and the diameter is probably 2-3mm too big.

In addition, the rear peep sight is anti-glare beveled as on the A2 peep, it should be flat like on the A1 peep (thanks exhausted)

AK and Type 56

Weird proportions. Stock looks totally messed up. Magazine is too small.

"AK-47" is a weird mishmash of AKM and AK parts. It has the ported gas tube of the AK, the stamped reciever and dust cover of the AKM, the curved and totally misshaped stock of the AK, and the slant brake and the bayonet lug of the AKM.

I'd just put a straight inline stock on it and remove the ports on the gas tube to make it a straight up AKM and change the name accordingly.
o7w7kwF.jpg

mKTzyXk.png

type56.jpg

SVD

Pistol grip and stock proportions are off. Too fat and not enough of a finger shelf.
Gos1pZu.jpg

sovdrag.gif
Did US actually issue the standard M16A1 we have in RS:V or they have only the 3 prong flash hider model in that black and white photo?
i m no expert in Vietnam War

Upvote 0
Misutoraru;n2279252 said:
Did US actually issue the standard M16A1 we have in RS:V or they have only the 3 prong flash hider model in that black and white photo?
i m no expert in Vietnam War

Yes, the XM16E1 (experimental M16 that was widely used) was produced up until 1967. The three pong flash hider was put on the XM16E1 til mid 1966. Then they switched to bird cage on military rifles. If you go waaaaay back in time to when advisors had the early 1961ish rifles they even had duckbill three prongs.

Upvote 0
Perun58;n2278402 said:
Very nice post, I agree.
I would also like to add that the AK sights have an icorrect model:
ak_sights.png

Rear sights are a little bit too small, but mainly the rear sight elevating slide is HUGE, much bigger than the sights.

yeah the sights are looking odd, and the apperture is too big

P.S. The sight on the right isnt correctly aligned :p, it should be aligned on the top

Upvote 0
The AK47's definitely look odd in many ways, esp. the small magazine and odd retractable stock stick out like a sore thumb, as does the M14's elongated flashhider.

As for the AK47's sights, they could use a little work too, but it's nothing like as bad as with the US peep sights which really need an overhaul as they're way to obstructive atm.

Hopefully all this will be fixed in the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The big one I noticed is that the M3A1 Grease Gun in game clearly has the skin of an M3 where you can see that someone was trying to skin on the cocking handle that was there on earlier models.

Cwivey;n2278456 said:
I'll be honest; when you mentioned 2mm-3mm difference I nearly thought you were being jokingly pedantic. But I guess that now you've got your rulers out, it's a case of what has been seen cannot be unseen. Although I ask if a number of these issues posted here are related to the Icons, or the actual view model as viewed from First-Person?

At least nothing has as plumb coloured reciever!

The menu icons are just pictures of the models so any inaccuracy present on the model is reflected in game.

Trotskygrad, actually, the plum bolt on the SVT-40 was a post-war Soviet restoration effort which is why it was so complained about. The bolts never turned plum, it was a poor bluing job that caused them to come out that color and that is it is inaccurate to WWII.

Misutoraru The M16 went through multiple iterations during the Vietnam war. It originally entered service as the 601/602 and then went through the mess of variations that were the XM16 and XM16E1 (there are a ton more than that in the XM16 tree but I don't have the infrographic available to me at this time) to become the M16A1. Basically There were a ton of three prongs and three prong duckbills in service alongside the A1 birdcage so having a mix would be a pretty interesting little feature. It would also cause a sound variance because three prong flash hiders tend to let out a high pitched ring like a tuning fork when shot.

Upvote 0