• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Jamming (Merged Yet Again)

First if there is already weapon jamming ignore this post.

Second if there isn't what I would think it would be is a .5%-1% chance that when you fire your weapon jams. Meaning you would have to go through a lengthy (7-16 seconds) unjamming procedure this can be very critical. if for instance (real story of what happened to my grandfather) you open/knock down a door and there is a enemy there; with a grenade you of course shoot and your weapon jams forcing you to use the butt of your gun in a close combat to defeat the enemy.

i'd be rather reluctend to add anything that has that much impact but that you have absolutly no controle over.
it'll probalby be more frustrating then anything else (althou im sure it was frustrating in WW2 aswell ;) ) and so i think it shouldn't be in a game.

if your going to add it thou, the frequentie of that happening should vary per weapon, as every weapon has a different reliability, and not just some default value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For once I agree with Countess ;)

As much as I like the realism presented in RO I think that jamming would just kill the gameplay. You just arent alive for long enough for it to matter, you also dont need any extra anxiety since being shot at is quite enough thanks. Also jamming sorta hammpers teamplay which is already hurting from lack of good in-game communication (hint hint). So weapon jamming needs to stay out.

I can see the russian firing his ppsh41 right now and then seeing him look down at it and start cursing. *pulls trigger* *silence* *(*&%^*D$#$*

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
i'd be rather reluctend to add anything that has that much impact but that you have absolutly no controle over.
it'll probalby be more frustrating then anything else (althou im sure it was frustrating in WW2 aswell ;) ) and so i think it shouldn't be in a game.

if your going to add it thou, the frequentie of that happening should vary per weapon, as every weapon has a different reliability, and not just some default value.

It's called realism and with around 1% chance (or what ever that'd be), would be very rare.

There were many elements you didn't have control over, this is one of those sensible ones that add to game instead of taking away from it.

It's like saying that there shouldn't be sound of artillery on the background because you don't have control over it but impact to gameplay can be big because it prevents you from hearing enemy's footsteps.

You are playing 'realistic' game but you don't want it to be realistic, not very logical.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Well do you want to have a "clean your weapon" button to use before the start of every game. Seems like that would have to be in there if weapon jamming was, and cleaning would reduce the likelyhood of a jam to say .1% seems logical and realisitic right? But it sure as hell would suck for gameplay.

Considering that dirty weapon is just 1 of many reasons why gun can jam: no.

Suck for what kind of gameplay? For run-and-gun: yes, for more tactical: not so much. Former we already have way too much on servers so anything to reduce that is a good thing, if you want any kind of realism in game, that is.

Upvote 0
Spade said:
Suck for what kind of gameplay? For run-and-gun: yes, for more tactical: not so much.
it would suck just as much for either.

you do everything right, you circal around your enamys, you're quiet, you get behind them and.... nothing you gun dusnt fire. one of the enamys sees you and hoses you down.
even when you did everything right you still dont get the kills because of something you have absolutly no controle over.

or how about 2 enamy are capping a point, your in the cap zone too and they almost have it.
you see one of the enamys and he's got his back turn toward you.
you bring up your gun, you think to yourself : there is no way i can miss, you hit the trigger... and nothing!, enemy caps and wins the map... or maybe even the match if it was a clanwar.
wouldn't you feel extreamly cheated if something like that happend?

not hearing footsteps you can compensate by looking around more, by having your back coverd, by either building or your teammate ect ect.
something like this with a direct impact on your preformance and not have any controle over it whatsoever would just suck... big time.
as i sayed befor it would just be annoying.

and this will in no way reduce run and gun. dont even try and tie these two issues togheter they got nothing to do with eachother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
not hearing footsteps you can compensate by looking around more, by having your back coverd, by either building or your teammate ect ect.
something like this with a direct impackt on your preformace and not have any controle over it whatsoever would just suck... big time.
as i sayed befor it would just be annoying.

Just as you can compensate chances to get screwed because of weapon jam by playing as a team, not going alone (hey, just like in real life, wicked innit!).

And following your example about not hearing enemy's footsteps, you look behind yourself, see nothing and turn back, an artillery shell goes off just at the time when enemy who crawled behind you under cover jumps up and rushes at you and stabs you - sucks because you had no control over the random sound that covered his footsteps. So, based on your reasoning, any non-player generated sound should be removed as well because you don't have control over it and that sucks.

Biggest impact it would have is to run-and-gun players who shouldn't even exist on a game that tries to be realistic.

As I said before, it'd bring bit more much needed realism to the game.

Upvote 0
First off the 7-14 second business that was me pulling numbers out of my head when I just did an actual count in my head that is FAR to long for most guns, like the smg and rifles (4-6 seconds would be better) but I do feel it is a good number for the mg. Also in regards to the points The_Countess and Hyperion2010 have raised this would mean you have them in front of you it jams and... like in my example in my first post that is when you properly worship your bayonet the way you should. :p

Again with what The_Countess and Hyperion2010 have said I don't think that jammingwould make much sound so the chances of them turning around because you walked up arn't very high. (I think this was what you were getting at, as well as the end of the match business which all I can say to is use that bayonet.)

To get around this if you don't like close, dirty and personel just lean and shoot from behind some cover and if it jams unlean stay still fix it then kill them and put some bullets into their bodies as they die as revenge for the gun jamming.

One final thing is if you have played America's Army and have experianced a weapon jam there it isn't so bad. Admitadly(sp?) however the gameplay is much more caustios chucking grenades through doorways and such.

(there was somthing else I wanted to say but I don't remember and you probally don't care:D)

Upvote 0
Shadow2Lead said:
Additionaly perhaps also have how much you are firing effect jamming chance, meaning if you are firing all your shots in a constant stream on auto the chance of it happening would be higher then if you fire in bursts.

Except firing a long burst is not necessarily more likely to make a weapon jam. The question is, do you really want the feature for realism, or do you want it to force people to play the way you like to play? If you get a dud or a jam on occasion (which would have to be well under 1% of shots if your weapons are assumed to be clean and fully functional), then that's realistic, but if someone starts blasting away with a ppsh in a room and their gun just decides to jam because they've decided to 'spray' a bit too long then that's not about realism anymore.

Upvote 0
Whilst I like the idea of jamming, I am of the opinion that jamming is caused by things that cannot be coded into the game, like dust, dirt and mud, not taking care of your weapon etc. The only possible acceptable jam condition I could see is a random dud round, but that would be rather rare in my book. I haven't heard much in the way of large quantities of faulty small arms ammunition.

If RO had a RP side to it where you could clean your weapons and such, then it would be awesome to have jamming (punishment for those who don't!), but that's not the kind of game RO is.

Upvote 0
Did weapons jam? Sure they did.

Hell, I managed to jam my Mosin Nagant once - and it's about the simplest weapon imaginable. When I ran the bolt forward, the round stovepiped and the rim (the "R" in 7.62x54R) got stuck in the narrower, forward part of the magazine. I had to get tools to maneuver the round backward to its appropriate slot (a hammer would have worked but... well... do the math :p)

Why do I mention this? Because this is not something I'd like to experience in any shape or form inside the scope of a game. Leave jamming out.

Upvote 0
Spade said:
It's called realism and with around 1% chance (or what ever that'd be), would be very rare.

There were many elements you didn't have control over, this is one of those sensible ones that add to game instead of taking away from it.

It's like saying that there shouldn't be sound of artillery on the background because you don't have control over it but impact to gameplay can be big because it prevents you from hearing enemy's footsteps.

You are playing 'realistic' game but you don't want it to be realistic, not very logical.

Oh thank you. Someone on these forums who actually argues like I do. I couldnt have said that better.

Im not for jamming being more prevalent in prone position though. Soldiers dont go prone and slam their weapon into the dirt. This would just make players less likely to go prone and promote running and gunning. But hell yeah for jamming.

Since when did this community start craving easier gameplay? RO is all about realism and getting as close to the real thing as possible. Jamming is part of that. It adds more depth to the game and makes for more interesting situations. All you people who want to leave stuff like this out and make RO as generic as possible can go play CoD. Im sure those developers will gladly cater to your simplistic needs.

Upvote 0