• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon In Progress - M249 SAW

We encountered another problem, in that no-one quite seems to know what the receiver looks like when u lift that panel to reload XD

It might not be much, but here is a US army field manual for the weapon, there are some figures in the first three chapters that might be of some help in getting an idea of what to do with that part of the model.

Upvote 0
The M249 is the military designation of a modified FN MINIMI in use with US armed forces. You want the the pure Fabrique National version
the_more_you_know2.jpg

Upvote 0
CandleJack - I'll have a look at that, i think i see what you mean :)

C_Gibby, I'm gonna try and create a new class for this, though that's gonna be a process all in itself :p The gun itself will then weigh 15 blocks - only support and this class would be able to use it then, which should limit its ability - no SS using their build in headshot perkage or the commando getting reload bonus's. On perk its recoil should be manageable, but offperk its gonna be more like that PPSH mutator where you simply can't point it straight when you're holding the trigger down. Also, when you reload, you're gonna get rid of the extra ammo, so that people can't run around with 80 (max ammo wit perk) in the box. You'll have maybe 300 ammo total. Damage will be a variable we'll have to play with.

When it comes to balance, i'm going to try and balance it for Suicidal, maybe even have it a little weak there and have it feel a tad OP on Hard. I don't wanna see a gun like this wreck HoE for people, and that way it'll still be fun to use on normal/hard and strategic to use on Suicidal.

The cust. perk will have all sorts of nitpicky things for balance, also i want to try and make them able to drop ammo boxes (on a long recharge, a good minute or so at least) just to be interesting. Though if that becomes a problem where 6 people are dropping ammo for eachother's SAW or AA12 i'll take it out :/

Upvote 0
Jolly good, I say. Just a reminder though, you always start with 1/15 weight and not 0/15, so you'd want to change the actual weapon weight to 14 and not 15. I'm just saying this just because if you get some sort of bug that stops you picking it out of the trader, you know where it lies. :p

Anyhoo, to make the ammo box thing a lot more "perky" I suggest that consider having "ammo" for the ammo boxes and make it so you can't refill the boxes with other boxes (the pipebombs have something similar going on) and I guess that you could perhaps level up and be able to carry +1 extra box of ammo with a bit of a discount? Maybe something like 1 box at level 0 and 6/7 boxes at level 6! :) I personally feel that it'd work a bit better than a recharge.

Just my two cents. :p

Upvote 0
The weight thing - I want it at 15 - the machine gunner perk (i need names for it :/) will have a slight weight boost- i think i want it to end up at 20, to allow for a secondar, but i'm not sure (afterwords i might start an SMG to complement it and hook the mac10/mp7 in as a secondary. no-one likes a one-gun perk :) )

As for the ammo box, i was gonna rig it to a timer like the syringe, so it has to charge up. that way you can't solo an FP and drop yourself 2 boxes of ammo. higher perk level would obviously charge faster.

Upvote 0
The weight thing - I want it at 15 - the machine gunner perk (i need names for it :/) will have a slight weight boost- i think i want it to end up at 20, to allow for a secondar, but i'm not sure (afterwords i might start an SMG to complement it and hook the mac10/mp7 in as a secondary. no-one likes a one-gun perk :) )

As for the ammo box, i was gonna rig it to a timer like the syringe, so it has to charge up. that way you can't solo an FP and drop yourself 2 boxes of ammo. higher perk level would obviously charge faster.

Ooh, weight boost! I must have missed that somewhere... And yeah, recharge/"ammo" counter. I guess you should just try it out with a nice fat group when it's ready and see which works out best in the end.

Upvote 0