• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We need a Flag.

kathmandu

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Hi there..

Im here to suggest that TW make us a regular Flag to each team.
So players can grab it and put it wherever they want. I didnt think about any other meaning to it or some special function in the game but it will be already good to have one flag for each side just for fun or to signify something during the battle.

Thanks.

USSROfficerTT33.JPG

Soviet soldiers don't follow silly flags, they follow TT33's! :p

Upvote 0
Were you thinking about the famous "raising the flag on Iwo Jima" photo or monument when you made this thread? That sort of thing in WWII happened only AFTER the conflict in an area was over and one side was decisively defeated. The most historically accurate way to implement this would be for the after-match screen to show the flag of the winning side planted in a suitably dramatic place in the level.

Still, it might be an interesting gameplay mechanic in the following way. If a side is starting to run low on tickets, they may plant a flag of defiance (for the defending side) or a flag of conquest (for the attacking side) in a suitable part of the level and defend the flag against enemy players for a short time. Once this patriotic thing is done, you hear a lot of soldiers of the side that planted the flag screaming patriotically, and the side that successfully planted their flag receives a moderate increase to their ticket pool. However, doing this means that all commander powers other than force respawn will have their cooldowns frozen for as long as it takes to defend the flag, and once the ticket increase takes effect, the cooldowns for those powers get reset.

Upvote 0
Were you thinking about the famous "raising the flag on Iwo Jima" photo or monument when you made this thread? That sort of thing in WWII happened only AFTER the conflict in an area was over and one side was decisively defeated.

Actually, it didn't only happen after the conflicts. For instance, the Iwo Jima flag was raised while there were still hundreds of Japanese soldiers on the island. Three of the soldiers that raised the flag died later, on Iwo Jima.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Think OP means something like the opening to this.

Sure, but there aren't enough players on servers for human wave attacks to work. Matches where more players play on one side than the other might work, but that could be ill-received by players.

Still, RS is going to feature a Banzai charge for the IJA, so maybe they could transplant the code for that to form a "flag rush" for the Red Army. Then we might give a couple players the Soviet flag so they give their fellow flag rushers increased resistance to suppression and injury.

But yes, my previous idea (which is to plant a flag to rally the forces an increase morale/ticket pool size) would also be rooted in historical reality, such as at Iwo Jima.

What we really need is women soldiers and partisans. Bikinis and a mud pit.

Female Soviet snipers (based on the real ones) could be included, maybe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure, but there aren't enough players on servers for human wave attacks to work. Matches where more players play on one side than the other might work, but that could be ill-received by players.

Still, RS is going to feature a Banzai charge for the IJA, so maybe they could transplant the code for that to form a "flag rush" for the Red Army. Then we might give a couple players the Soviet flag so they give their fellow flag rushers increased resistance to suppression and injury.

But yes, my previous idea (which is to plant a flag to rally the forces an increase morale/ticket pool size) would also be rooted in historical reality, such as at Iwo Jima.

Female Soviet snipers (based on the real ones) could be included, maybe.
Having a flag carrier is pointless, obviously its not really going to work out to well. It just doesn't fit in a Red Orchestra game. First thing that did come to mind when I saw this thread was that video.

Upvote 0
Having a flag carrier is pointless, obviously its not really going to work out to well. It just doesn't fit in a Red Orchestra game. First thing that did come to mind when I saw this thread was that video.
It's not pointless, there would be some moderate effects/etc. behind it. And considering RO is a game rooted in realism, I don't see why not (as there is historical context to it).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not pointless, there would be some moderate effects/etc. behind it. And considering RO is a game rooted in realism, I don't see why not (as there is historical context to it).
I just don't see it working out practically in this game. This game's realism is rooted more in its gameplay mechanics and eye to historical detail. I can see what you mean with it's historical context, but it really just isn't practical. An extra rifleman would be more useful than a flag bearer that would lose its novelty quickly.

Upvote 0