• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

AKA

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/18/games-for-windows-vista-how-a-new-brand-and-os-will-change-pc-gam/

"For console gamers, especially Xbox 360 owners, the most intriguing aspect of gaming on Vista is 'Live Anywhere.' Unfortunately, Xbox Live awareness won't be built into the initial release of Vista. Instead, it will gradually be tested on the Windows platform via launch titles like Shadowrun and Halo 2. Both these games will be fully integrated into Xbox Live -- Shadowrun will feature cross-platform multiplayer, while Halo 2 will be limited to cross-platform communication (messaging, invites, voice-chat, etc.) -- and will include achievement points (added to your pre-existing Gamerscore); we should note that achievements points can't be doubled for cross-platform titles. If you own Shadowrun for Xbox 360 and PC, you can only unlock any given achievement once (per Gamertag) between the two versions. To enhance cross-platform mingling, certain elements of 360's GUI will be included in Live-enabled PC games, like a version of the 'Guide-button' interface, but the hope is that eventually the core elements of 360's GUI will be offered as a free Windows application, capable of running without a game (

But you were just barely getting started! ;)

Possibly the most aggravating item is "Compatablility with the Xbox 360 controller." If I'm playing a game at my computer, I want a game that is designed from the ground up to be able to utilize all the wonderful customization that is available with a 104 key keyboard and a mouse that has at least 3 buttons and a scroll wheel, plus any other peripherals that I choose to plug in. A game that must be playable on a game pad will be crippled when compared to a keyboard/mouse combo. To say nothing of all the various joysticks and driving wheels and pedals out there.

I've got until 2011 to get familiar with linux, looks like. Wish me luck ;)

Upvote 0
The "Games for Windows" is just a branding. You'll still be able to play other games that don't meet the requirements to get this branding.

By employing marketing strategies used by console makers, namely platform-branding, Microsoft hopes that PC gaming (under the 'Games for Windows' banner) will become less intimidating to mainstream consumers -- no longer will the PC games isle be a cluttered mess of disparate titles.

I think the idea is marketing for Vista. Microsoft wants the consumer to know if they see the GFW branding and are running Vista, the game will be easy to install.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. Microsoft has been branding games for years. Honestly, the PC gaming comunity isn't going to change much once Vista is released. DX10 games are a year away.

Upvote 0
The world would be such a better place if we all used Linux. Looks better, runs better, it's FREE, and pretty much all the MS equivalent software is free.

Only thing that keeps me using windows is the games :(
Yeah right... the truth is linux is far from perfect and there are some ****house things about it that make it unsuitablle as an OS for the masses;

- Poor support for latest hardware, generally linux is several months to a year behind in hardware support. Though hardware vendors are starting to provide linux driver packages.
- Complex (and quite confusing to newbies) package management system and standards.
- Too much editing of random little files needed to set up your system for the average user (operative word being average). Joe PC user is going to have difficullty understanding how to initialise and configure daemons etc.
- Not nearly enough commercial support.
- Like you said, next to zero game support.
- Poor API support, ie. there's no real equivalent to DX for linux, it really can't use your 7800 to it's full extent, same with your SB X-Fi.

The only great thing about linux is that you can use it to set up a business network (including servers and work stations) on the cheap by really skimping on software costs. Also security wise it is pretty bullet proof, but that's really about it.

It's been said before and I agree with it, linux is basically an OS for linux enthusiasts, your average PC owner will find it overly complicated and confusing, and that's why I think it will never gain mainstream acceptance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok here we go.

Yeah right... the truth is linux is far from perfect and there are some ****house things about it that make it unsuitablle as an OS for the masses;
The same goes for Windows OS, it's what you are used to or what has been taught at school what makes an OS suitable for the masses. In fact windows has proved itself that it's not suited for the masses.

- Poor support for latest hardware, generally linux is several months to a year behind in hardware support. Though hardware vendors are starting to provide linux driver packages.
That's not the mistake of the OS but the hardware vendors. If you would have used the latest versions of debian/ubuntu or kubuntu you would have experienced that the hardware which is supported does that effortless. In fact the windows-way is even more time-consuming then the linuxway at those moments.

- Complex (and quite confusing to newbies) package management system and standards.
Again, it's what you are used to. If you would have used linux from day 1 you would feel at a total loss with windows because hundreds of design-choices in windows are far from logical.

- Too much editing of random little files needed to set up your system for the average user (operative word being average). Joe PC user is going to have difficullty understanding how to initialise and configure daemons etc.
The beauty of it all is: nowadays editing of "little files" (one of the excellent points of linux by the way) is not necessary any more. It's also possible with the GUI. Did you know that Vista is copying this very professional 2-way :p

- Not nearly enough commercial support.
Not needed, most linux users will help you for FREE.

- Like you said, next to zero game support.
True, gamecompanies have some things to do.

The only great thing about linux is that you can use it to set up a business network (including servers and work stations) on the cheap by really skimping on software costs. Also security wise it is pretty bullet proof, but that's really about it.
Strange thing is that Microsoft has been TRYING to built vista around these 2 main issues. So in short linux is still ahead of windows in these areas IMO.

I do agree with you that it will take many years if not forever to break the monopoly of Microsoft. Tho I'm very glad that Microsoft itself strengthens this development by it's owns choices. Just give them time enough and they will push everyone to linux :)

Monk.

ps I choose linux because I really care about my personal freedom

Upvote 0