• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ummm....you should play the RO Classic beta

I played some rounds of Classic mode over the weekend and I must say I really liked it. The TWB server EU was filled up and though mostly Mamayev was played it developed into very good matches. I agree that it is a bit harder for the attackers because of less running speed etc. but you could see that soon the German team learned to adapt quickly to this situation and moved in small teams forward, slowly but steadily supported by artillery and smoke and good cover from the flanks allowing the assault troops to go into the trenches. Several rounds were won this way and without spawn on SL a front was created and the sound of an enemy rifle meant that it is an enemy 99% of the time. It felt better than RO1. It still needs some tweaks but the strategic assault I was part of in the game had not been seen by me in RO2 so far. And there was actually little to no communication going on within the team. Everyone knew what to do.

-I think that slow sprint should be kept and therefore your running distance will improve a bit. So once stamina is exhausted then you can still jog for some more seconds.

-SL should be given a sidearm. Bolt rifle only is better than semi and autos but with a sidearm it seems like a perfect compromise to me.

So lads join the beta servers and let us get some epic battles going. It is possible now!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haven't played RO2 much since release. Decided to download the beta client as soon as I heard about classic mode and oh man, am I happy that I did. TWI, you out did yourself here. I finally feel like I got the game I was promised and paid for! :D New map is fantastic also, though I would like to see a daytime version. My faith is close to restored!

Upvote 0
Haven't played RO2 much since release. Decided to download the beta client as soon as I heard about classic mode and oh man, am I happy that I did. TWI, you out did yourself here. I finally feel like I got the game I was promised and paid for! :D New map is fantastic also, though I would like to see a daytime version. My faith is close to restored!

This encourages me. I hope the word gets out and more players return to give the beta a proper shake-down. Now is the time. Playing beats posting!

Upvote 0
Hi,
I played RO1 until Friday. Then I decided to install RO2 by steam just to see how the new version looks like and if my "old" pc can handle RO2. I confirmed the payment of 44€ and steam started the download: 8,x GB for RO2 and 5,x GB for RO2 beta. I asked myself: why do I still get a download for a beta version although the game has already been released? I visited this forum seeking for information. I read that the beta version is a classic version. I played the beta version on Saturday and Sunday for hours.

I noticed that something has been changed and as a senior player, I always try to be flexible and open minded for new things. Honestly I like the new version with its extensions and excellent graphic, but the zoom-in feature for every weapon when aiming at something frustrates me a bit. The first hours I had almost no chance. Each time I come close to a capzone I got killed, mostly by a headshot. I made the same movements as in RO1, along housewalls, from object to object (e.g tree, bush, ...), using shadows to be no lamp in the moon/sun. No chance, seems that snipers were around with wrong weapons. It must be the zoom-in feature for every weapon, that obviously stimulated a lot of discussions here in the last month. I like zoom-in but in RO1 it was intended for the sniper, who covers the area from behind to help out the assaults getting into capzone if there s a mg-gunner or another sniper in good position. This zoom-in changes the complete gameplay. The next days will show me, if I m going to like or not. I know that it takes some time to change gambling behavior after such a long time. I played RO1 since 2006. But as an RO1 veteran I miss the old weapon style.

lastman

well put seeing as you have come from RO1 to RO2 recently, great example, its like everyone is mini snipers, zoom is a massive factor to why the gameplay has changed.

going to try beta soon, if classic isnt like RO1 theres no point me personally continuing to bother with this game, currently having alot of fun on dota 2 and natural selection 2, both of which strongly held to the original gameplay...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This zoom-in changes the complete gameplay. The next days will show me, if I m going to like or not. I know that it takes some time to change gambling behavior after such a long time. I played RO1 since 2006. But as an RO1 veteran I miss the old weapon style.

lastman

Please go to the beta forums and vote about zoom, there are many polls about it. You can still have no or limited zoom in Classic, devs are listening to the feedbacks.

Upvote 0
You most certainly entitled to your opinion...

After experiencing the problems encountered in RO1 with body collision, I adamantly stick to my conclusion that putting it in use serves no real benefit to RO2 in any iteration. Literally, it was a nightmare in RO1 because of intentionally blocked doors, trenches and passages.

In RO1 body contact wasn't (really, isn't) a problem. I played maps with trenches and 50 people and in any moment I felt uncomfortable of it.
And the most important, IT'S REAL. Like they said before, we're not ghosts. And if I'm in a trenches and there are too people on it, it's logic and normal that the movement of troops to be slower and tedious. We're in a battlefield xd. People like you only thinks: me, me, me, me and after me. You don't have to think that the player who was hit in a trenche and causes that your movement will be slower can affect negatively the gampeplay, no. This affect possitive the experience of realism and simulation of a battlefield.

About the beta. Good step TWI, but you have to work more in this points.

- body contact on
- weapon shot out of hand
-less accurate smg and mg
-bigger maps (like in RO1)

and like you made in past. keep listen this feedbacks and keep going well :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You most certainly entitled to your opinion...

After experiencing the problems encountered in RO1 with body collision, I adamantly stick to my conclusion that putting it in use serves no real benefit to RO2 in any iteration. Literally, it was a nightmare in RO1 because of intentionally blocked doors, trenches and passages.

That's why we have weapons. people learn quick not to block

Upvote 0
True...... but TK kills usually result in session bans. :eek:

Too true, especially once DH introduced the lovely bunker spawning system, hardly a game seemed to go by without some asshat blocking one of the spawn doors, accidentally or not.

Non body collision is unrealistic, but so is the idea that two people can't squeeze througha door at the same time. The body detection is so stupidly rigid (in every game, I'm not advocating anyone spends time trying to sort that out right now) that tbh it feels as unrealistic as having no body contact.

So for ease of play and lack of TK I'd vote for the lesser of the two evils and have no contact.

Upvote 0