• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI Please Please Please Please Please PLEASE fix weapon priority. Come on now

nutterbutter

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
On any weapon key the priority should be

1) Perked weapon with ammo
2) Unperked weapon with ammo
3) Empty perked weapon
4) Empty unperked weapon

Ok, if that isn't possible, then the priority should be

1) PERKED weapon
2) Everything else

If I'm playing support, I shouldn't have to worry about '3' bringing up a grenade launcher before the shotgun.

Oh, sorry for that, I misjudged OP. Still, I'm fine with the current system, since I always reload a weapon before I switch to another. TWI needs to work on major bugs like dual pistols accuracy and invisible walls on Mac/Linux server, and then they can focus on these minors things.
My 2 cents

Upvote 0
Prioritizing weapons by empty/non-empty isn't so easy. It would require to rebuild inventory chains every time weapon shot last ammo or ammo box is picked up. A lot of work and kindda useless. It is much easier to drop empty weapons on the ground and pick them up at the end of the wave.

But selecting perked weapons first is logical and would require only a couple of code lines to implement.

Upvote 0
Just curious, would it be difficult to implement a manual inventory organization?

Something like this: press <randomkey> to display your inventory cells and your mouse cursor on the screen. Then just drag&drop your weapons from cells to cells with your mouse, press <randomkey> again to apply the changes you've made.

Upvote 0
Prioritizing weapons by empty/non-empty isn't so easy. It would require to rebuild inventory chains every time weapon shot last ammo or ammo box is picked up. A lot of work and kindda useless. It is much easier to drop empty weapons on the ground and pick them up at the end of the wave.

But selecting perked weapons first is logical and would require only a couple of code lines to implement.
Don't think that complicated. You should not rebuild the inventory at all, but a smart filter. :)
But indeed a bit of code is needed, as the inventory is an unsorted linked-list.
I created some code back then for TWI that improves it, but it needs a function that decides whether a weapon is perked or not first of all.

It is not perfect so far, some refinement might be needed:
- Only first weapon you switch to will definately be perked
- Perked weapons are handelled the same (M32 and M79 have same "weight")
+ Skips all empty weapons

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Every dev's most hated phrase is "that shouldn't be too hard to implement."

Just curious, would it be difficult to implement a manual inventory organization?

Something like this: press <randomkey> to display your inventory cells and your mouse cursor on the screen. Then just drag&drop your weapons from cells to cells with your mouse, press <randomkey> again to apply the changes you've made.
Would it be difficult? Yes, since it requires an entirely new interface. It would also be a lot of item management to be doing in the middle of a game, much too distracting. But if it was to be done in the settings menu without having to be in a game to do it, that would be much more reasonable. On the other hand, the only way I can see this working is as a fan-made mutator, which would mean either players would have to manage items during a game or would have to accept what the server admin set the item slots to. Still, it's possible -- I don't think it would be implemented by TWI though.

Upvote 0