• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI Classic Servers

They set up many Action servers and I think they do not like the Classic mode themselves so much.
RO3 might only have Action mode :(...I still hope we won't be forgotten completely...

Oh and I did play action mode once when it was in beta and I did blowtorch my nipples afterwards just to numb the pain in my head!:D

No seriously I guess Action helps the transition from other games but it gets me shaking my head in disbelief. As long as the players make the evolution to Realism or some even to the higher beings of Classic mode then the concept works.
And Cyper there can only be a few higher beings the rest is the mob and the underclass.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They have 7 TWI Action Servers.

Action does not generally have many players. Neither does Classic compared to Realism. Do they shovel **** in the face of the Vets while giving the golden spoon to the casuals?

Or maybe I have misunderstood this?

Not a very good post for further constructive discussion, but this seriously bothers me and it would be interesting to know why Action Mode have official servers and not Classic. Realism Mode I can understand due to it's high amount of players compared to the other modes (progression system contribute a lot to this since it brings RO closer to CoD).

Upvote 0
There should definitely be more of a variety of classic servers, the only classic server that i go on is the 40-1 server but even then its difficult because of the timezone difference. I live in the U.S, i am optimistic that more people will slowly but surely migrate to Classic.Although I guess people are intimidated because Ro2 is already an difficult game for newcomers and classic mode accentuates the difficulty.

Upvote 0
I genuinely am puzzled by the notion that Classic is somehow more difficult. It isn't, if anything it is far more survivable than realism.

Slower, no chance of insta-sniping, more time to think, and people seem to seek more safety in numbers. Realism is a speed game; fast movement, fast mechanics; In this respect I think it is much harder if one prefers the RO1 pace. I think to get competent at realism is to use a different mindset; personally I really notice this when I switch between the two.

For instance on a competitive realism server, If I don't know the map well, I am usually in for an immediately frustrating experience; being careful doesn't matter. If you don't know the layout and traffic areas you lose a critical edge because you have to think about where you are going, and that affects readyness and reaction time - the determining factors in realism - because players very rarely miss; aiming is so easy you simply need to be faster than the other guy. This has strong offensive potential because with negligible sway there is only a minor chance one will miss so if you are quick and accurate with your hand-to-eye you are going to run and gun, because it works.

In contrast on a Classic server if one takes their time on a new map they can usually contribute and have some fun, even if you don't top the table
I suspect the inverse is true - a fast player probably finds RO1/Classic infuriatingly slow, and because setting up shots takes a little longer, there's much less advantage in being innately quick.

To get on topic, the writing is on the wall which mode TWI prefer; look at the naming convention. It's a shame but Classic is only wanted by the small number that know its strengths.

I think it is time that RO1/DH vets accepted that this game is not and never was for them. Either accept 'realism' (I personally find it rather unfulfilling) or organise better. Classic mode is hardly helped by the fact it is characterised by griping.

I see it another way. If you want something beyond speed with a little more depth, Classic is very attractive, and it should be sold as such.

Us Classic folk are hardly good ambassadors for it.

Upvote 0
I think it is time that RO1/DH vets accepted that this game is not and never was for them. Either accept 'realism' (I personally find it rather unfulfilling) or organise better. Classic mode is hardly helped by the fact it is characterised by griping.

Maybe you're right.

I played Classic yesterday for a few hours and I had a blast. It is not a solid mode. But its still fun despite all the flaws.

But I guess you're right: TWI have abandoned their old fans, and there is probably no chance of a proper Red Orchestra/Hardcore/Authentic mode. Rising Storm will probably be the same story. So I am going to keep my dignity and stop playing again. There is barely no players anyway. I am only worth horse poo anyway.. why else was never classic mode considered and properly developed in the beginning? I will never get what I am looking for anyway so why support the game? I thought about buying Killing Floor but why? Why give TWI money for Action and Realism Mode.

As long as there is fast paced combat and progression system very few people is going to be interested in ro2 classic mode. Especially if its called Classic instead of realism mode. Its like with custom servers with no progression... people wont ''waste'' their time playing it just for fun. Because then others progress and they dont. And unlocks is here to stay and so is fast-paced combat.

So I believe you.

Next ROgame will probably only have Action Mode and Realism Mode.

Original RO formula is going to die. If all this just could be confirmed to the handfull of players playing classic mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ooooh, so that's why TWI made black on white promises that they wouldnt let RO1 vets down and that RO2 would include the RO1 quality and authenticity :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I think it is time that RO1/DH vets accepted that this game is not and never was for them. Either accept 'realism' (I personally find it rather unfulfilling) or organise better.
HELL NO:mad:
this **** also heppened to BF3....bla bla Battlefield evolved...bla bla...new target audience...not a console port...nailed it...bla bla big maps...bla bla...true sequel to bf2...lies and more lies:mad:

we the veterans made DICE and Battlefied BIG and now they say:
BF veterans!?!...meh go **** yourself...we want the money from CoD kids

and for RO2 i rather don't play the game,
if the only mode is CoD mode(realism) or kindergarten mode (action)

Upvote 0
Well I have always seriously thought that they grudgingly added Classic mode due to the dwindling player base. When they finally did add it they also added the action mode, and now looking at that amount of action servers vs Classic servers... Well, one can't help but wonder.
"Grudgingly" is indeed the right word. TWI fought the community TOOTH AND NAIL for MONTHS before finally caving on Classic mode (despite cries for the mode pre-release). It's hardly a surprise to me that they wouldn't host servers to run a mode that they themselves hated to make in the first place...

And their lack of hosted servers has certainly played its part in keeping me from playing Classic (the only mode in which I can tolerate RO2). TWI is from the US and the main reason I haven't played Classic is a lack of populated, good-pinged US servers. In the RO1 days I relied on TWI US servers to get good ping. If they decided to actually support their new game mode by hosting a US server that people populate, I would certainly consider giving the game another go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made a thread about it too. When they did the free weekend I looked for CD servers by twi and all I found was Action CD. I was very disgusted. Sure during free weekend those servers fill up, but that is not what this game is about. Those servers will never last. That mode was made with spare time and is "not in ro's best interest" imo. Why would you want players to buy the game thinking that's what ro is about.

Also every other server by twi was Action mode. I would expect it to be split evenly. 2 server action, 2 servers classic, and 2 servers realism. Obviously that is just what I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0