• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Toggle zoom player side option

VariousNames

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Based on this offscreen video from this thread:

RO2 looks like it has automatic zoom on aiming... there is no way for the player to aim without zooming.

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

Add a player side option to set zoom to a toggle apart from the aiming button, like in ArmA. Automatic zoom, like in Call of Duty, makes ironsight mode clunky in close quarters, because it takes longer to get a sight picture, is mildly disorienting, and gives you a smaller field of view. You can see this effect in close quarters battles in the latest Darkest Hour patch which added a similar automatic iron sight zoom.

However, in ArmA, you can change your zoom level based on a toggle or alt button function, so that you can sight in normal FOV and zoom FOV. This is more utilitarian in my opinion, and options don't hurt anybody! Some people prefer wide FOV even for long distance shooting, myself included.

A player side option to change choose a preference for automatic zoom or toggle zoom would be bizzazzle badass.

Video enclosed (see 0:28 seconds in for demonstration):

YouTube - ‪Arma 2: Blizzard Gameplay‬‏

Personally I'm not a big fan of ArmA's system. Especially as the ArmA system forces you to toggle your iron sight, as holding it down makes you zoom. Although ArmA's system is one of the least intruisive and most user friendly methods of utilizing zoom, I think it can still be made better.

Quite some people like the ability to only look through their iron sights while they hold down the right mouse button, which would be impossible with said system. As I've got 3 spare thumb buttons I'd probably prefer to bind one of my thumb mouse buttons to something like zoom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But recorded player is shown aiming multiple times without zooming in...

And IIRC the zoom is part of the controlled breathing feature.

I must have missed that, I just rewatched the video, carefully, and it seemed that every time the player toggled into ironsights mode there was an immediate FOV zoom.

I was under the impression that the FOV zoom would be part of the controlled breathing feature, but I didn't see evidence that you would be able to use ironsights without affecting the FOV in the video I linked in the OP. Can you point out where this takes place?

Personally I'm not a big fan of ArmA's system. Especially as the ArmA system forces you to toggle your iron sight, as holding it down makes you zoom. Although ArmA's system is one of the least intruisive and most user friendly methods of utilizing zoom, I think it can still be made better.

Quite some people like the ability to only look through their iron sights while they hold down the right mouse button, which would be impossible with said system. As I've got 3 spare thumb buttons I'd probably prefer to bind one of my thumb mouse buttons to something like zoom.

To be clear, what I'm suggesting is a system wherein a toggle or shift zoom can be modified in the config or control options menu and mapped to a given custom key. I'm also suggesting that that zoom itself be an option. So I generally agree that ArmA II's system could be better.

For instance the option in the menu could look something like this:

A) FOV zoom? Yes/No
--- b) Toggle/hold
B) Ironsights Toggle/Hold

Plus a keybind on the controls menu e.g.

Zoom toggle/hold --- numpad + / Mouse 3
Ironsights ---------- Mouse 2 / I

etc

Feel free to comment on that

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that the FOV zoom would be part of the controlled breathing feature, but I didn't see evidence that you would be able to use ironsights without affecting the FOV in the video I linked in the OP. Can you point out where this takes place?

I see what you're looking at now, it's pretty subtle.

Probably has something to do with the fact that the weapons are more accurately modeled and the sights just don't look clear enough without that minor boost. Not sure I'd want to disable it even if given the option.

Upvote 0