• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Time zone change resets some config files

®omano

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
France
www.hellsoldiers.tk
Category: Code/Engine

Reproducibility: Always after a time zone change

Summary: Each time there is a time zone change, restarting the game or the server resets some config files

Description: A few days ago, we had a time zone change (went from summer time to winter time), and this creates a bug in both client and server. It resets the KFInput.ini file for client and also the KFWeb.ini file for server. This issue is well known on Red Orchestra 2 and seems to be also on Killing Floor 2. There is no way to avoid the problem, if the computer or dedicated server changes time zone, restarting game or server resets the configuration file.

The thing I noticed is the section called [iniversion] changes after restarting game or server after a time zone change, the game/server may detect an issue and resets the configuration file.

example with my KFInput.ini file for killing Floor 2

before
[IniVersion]
0=1440547774.000000
1=1440551058.000000

after
[IniVersion]
0=1440544174.000000
1=1440547458.000000

example with my ROInput.ini file for Red Orchestra 2

before
[IniVersion]
0=1337899029.000000
1=1411499399.000000

after
[IniVersion]
0=1337895429.000000
1=1411495799.000000

it is the same with the KFWeb.ini file for server, but I did not have a backup before the automatic restart, but it is same thing..

It may be an engine issue, but this is really a problem, I'm thinking about GSP who may have to configure again all the servers, but even if we forget GSP, we, the players, are really irritated by this, and not a lot of people will understand that they have to rebind all the key twice a year, for no reason.

Online/Offline: Online/Offline

I would appreciate any official statement on this issue.

EDIT:
Not a timezone change, but DAYLIGHT SAVINGS reset my .ini as well.

I guess I'll be redoing my settings twice a year?

Last edited:
Posted in another thread by the author of this thread...

"The tip for this issue is to backup you KFInput.ini file, start and then close game, then open the reseted KFInput.ini file, only keep the last section called [INI VERSION] blablabla and paste your old backup ini file content after removing the old section [INI VERSION] blablabla"

After the first time, I made a copy of the ini file and this time I just followed the above quoted directions and have had no problems. [INI VERSION] is the last entry in the files.

Upvote 0
This is indeed a very annoying bug (RO2 has it too).

There is a way to work around it. If KF2 (or RO2) decides that it has to default your settings, then it will do that by replacing your kfxxx.ini file with the corresponding defaultxxx.ini file (and it will add the version info in the result). So what you can do is delete the defaultxxx.ini file and copy your current kfxxx.ini and rename it to defaultxxx.ini (and remove the version info block from the file). Then the next time it loads defaults, then it will simply load your defaults :D
Drawback is that almost each kf2 update will replace the defaultxxx.ini file. Evenso will a "Verify integrity of game cache.." replace it. :(

I always do this before the DST change kicks in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We never got a response back from TWI about this or if they've attempted to fix this issue and with Shuu gone, the issue may not even be on any of their minds. It is literally one of the most frustrating things to happen with the game and the lack of any responses on it from the devs just makes it even more frustrating.

If they can't fix it but they tell us that, ok. As long as they state that it's impossible to stop it from happening I know that they've tried, but don't be silent about it for seven months. It's not on the trello boards and I've checked here and on reddit, not a word at all about the issue from anyone working at TWI except for that single post from Shuu. This doesn't just affect certain people, it affects everyone twice a year, 100% guaranteed. After the first reports of resetting ini's flooded in the issue should have been dealt with if it was fixable yet we're here almost at release time and DST is ending here on Nov 6 and I DO NOT look forward to another reset.

I'm gonna try your solution Ducky, but it's going to be a mess once the opt in beta is out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DotS;n2290725 said:
Oh f..ing sh*t, not AGAIN for f.cking christs sake................. :mad:

This is so awfully goddamn annoying, I mean come on.. It's not EA anymore, one could fix a resetting config twice a year at some point, rather than add hats.

I guess i'm the lucky one that had nothing changed (then again i've renamed my kfinput into defaultinput and i no longer need to stress out about time zone bug that plagues ro2 as well)

Upvote 0
DotS;n2290729 said:
Just to explain that little outbreak: Last patch reverted my gfx settings to a way earlier state (some months old), a couple games later my perks got reset (AGAIN) and now my entire config was lost (...AGAIN).

All of this happens regularly.

That sounds more like game losing connection to steam's backend again, while you play the game and game loses connection to it, it will reset settings due to the lack of savefile unfortunately..... Which makes me question. Why the hell do we have a local ini files that have all settings applied and saved and yet get reset because steam's api poops itself and just messes your cfgs while you're in-game (when not playing ofc will nothing change).

Last edited:
Upvote 0