• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts about a certain video

Cyper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
Sweden
I may be disliked for telling the truth but I cannot hold this to myself without sharing it with other people here. I may probably offend some of you but to be honest it doesn't matter. It's hard to deny this.

I just felt that I had to share this video to those who have doubts and say that the weapon handling is fine as it is in RO2 at the moment. For people that wonder why they don't enjoy the game.. This video is far from the whole explanation to that but it certainly cover a great deal of it. This

This video kinda demostrate something I absolutely not expected to be implemented in a sequel to RO OST. Anyone that claims that this is a great way to portray realistic firefights in a videogame are simply wrong. It isn't realistic in any sense - however - there is no doubt that this kind of gameplay attracts a wider audience - but then, what about the whole point of Red Orchestra?

I don't know if this will be fixed by TWI or us. And of course - should it be fixed? And how? I am not quite sure since I've seen a a few of people here that seems to like this kind of gameplay. And there is nothing wrong with it. But the question for me is it if suitable in a game like RO2. IMO It's not. It kinda removes the whole point of playing RO2 for me. It's depressing somehow - that's how I see it personally - so much potential ruined by simple game mechanics that makes the gameplay like this.  

Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad MG-34 gameplay - YouTube

Last edited:
What can be fixed? This is what this game is, a generic shooter just like all the other ones where making it easy is all that matters

The weapon handling would do a great deal of it, removing the lockdowntimer and increase the timelimit on each server would make it even better, aswell as maybe removing these skillpoints in Hardcore mode at least.

The funny thing is that RO2 isn't easy in terms of surviving on the battlefield. I bet must of the people that this game tries to attract will leave the game in pure frustation simply because It's to hard for them. Put anyone that only play generic shooters into this game and they will probably be bored to death. That said, probably at least 70% of all gamers. I strongly doubt casual gamers believe It's a piece of cake.. while most of the orginal RO fans thinks quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I may be disliked for telling the truth but I cannot hold this to myself without sharing it with other people here. I may probably offend some of you but to be honest it doesn't matter. It's hard to deny this.

I just felt that I had to share this video to those who have doubts and say that the weapon handling is fine as it is in RO2 at the moment. For people that wonder why they don't enjoy the game.. This video is far from the whole explanation to that but it certainly cover a great deal of it. This

This video kinda demostrate something I absolutely not expected to be implemented in a sequel to RO OST. Anyone that claims that this is a great way to portray realistic firefights in a videogame are simply wrong. It isn't realistic in any sense - however - there is no doubt that this kind of gameplay attracts a wider audience - but then, what about the whole point of Red Orchestra?

I don't know if this will be fixed by TWI or us. And of course - should it be fixed? And how? I am not quite sure since I've seen a a few of people here that seems to like this kind of gameplay. And there is nothing wrong with it. But the question for me is it if suitable in a game like RO2. IMO It's not. It kinda removes the whole point of playing RO2 for me. It's depressing somehow - that's how I see it personally - so much potential ruined by simple game mechanics that makes the gameplay like this.  

Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad MG-34 gameplay - YouTube

What on earth are the Russians doing in this video? Do they even shoot?

Upvote 0
The funny thing is that RO2 isn't easy in terms of surviving on the battlefield. I bet must of the people that this game tries to attract will leave the game in pure frustation simply because It's to hard for them. Put anyone that only play generic shooters into this game and they will probably be bored to death. That said, probably at least 70% of all gamers. I strongly doubt casual gamers believe It's a piece of cake.. while most of the orginal RO fans thinks quite the opposite.
That's the entire problem with this game. i've already said it a couple of times.

Offcourse I don't know the behind the scenes story but it just feels like they tried to sell the game to as many different "groups" as possible which barely ends up good since it will probably turn out, as I said, a generic shooter made to make as much money as possible instead of trying to deliver the best game in the genre.
Yes I understand every company wants to make money but there are some whom stick to their principles (for example Arma) and still can deliver AWESOME games.

Upvote 0
I and a few guys in our clan are pretty good with an MG in RO2. But I'll tell you this: Neither I or he has ever gone on a spree quite like this without being cut off at the knees in short order. If you are on an RO map and you are up against experienced people who know the map, you might enjoy a free for all like this once, but after that... You make this much noise in a building complex for even 15 seconds and everyone in the area will go to earth and wait to catch you flying by.

Reactions: SCandChives
Upvote 0
I think we originally talked about this in this thread

And i think if you're playing on Pub server, you could achieve this with fairly great success at ease. Which is sad.
As i've said earlier in another post: Try doing this with DP..

This whole thing is especially funny considering threads like this Where people believe that MG34 is underpowered.

I say, I say, exchange the MG34 for MG42, and make it how it was - a buzzsaw. Good luck hipfiring or sniping with its insane ROF

Upvote 0
The weapon handling would do a great deal of it, removing the lockdowntimer and increase the timelimit on each server would make it even better, aswell as maybe removing these skillpoints in Hardcore mode at least.

I bought a copy of the game for a friend of mine. He doesn't play because it is too hard. LOL...I deride him for it of course.

Upvote 0
The quality is off because the video has been compressed.

and what that guy did was far from "easy". However, it is quite different from what we had in RO1.

The 250 round belt that sort of magically floats under his machine gun, and the 2 second reloading certainly makes it a lot easier for him.

I mean, he can almost continuously fire 500 rounds non stop.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry are you saying that you in real life you wouldn't be able to hit a man at 1-10 yards with a gun that fires at 900 rounds a minute?

It weights 30 pounds man... Your not holding a rottweiler that spits out bullets (avg 80 pounds by the way)

For you consideration and debunking - A yahoo playing around with an MG34... Games seems right to me in the hands of a MG-34 gunner.

MG-34 Madness Standing Fire - YouTube

Upvote 0