• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This game is AWESOME!!

First of all, welcome to the forums, and the game! :D

Since when?

I have to agree on this. I don't really get the "steep learning curve" thing, I mean this is a game that takes skill and practice, yes. However, the gameplay is pretty basic when you look at it, and you understand it in like an hour or so.

To become a great player, you need practice as in everything, but I wouldn't call the learning curve "steep", no way. :)

Play Arma, now that's a steep curve, I mean it's not even steep, it's vertical. RO's easy to learn, and hard to master IMO.

Upvote 0
it has potential i'll give it that.

i'd probably rate it a 6.5-7/10 in its current form. As of now it has nothing going for it.

though i wouldnt agree it has a steep learning curve. this is one of the easiest FPS' i've ever played. my first game i was in 2nd place, and have continually been in the top 3. Interestingly enough i tend to suck at FPS'...

Upvote 0
1. play the tutorial to learn the controls
2. get to know the maps
3. ????
4. profit!

the first days it's a lot of "argh! i'm dead!" and "where the hell did that come from?"-situations. knowing the popular spots where the enemies usually are is the key to dying less and being able to safely reach capzones. there is definitely a learning curve, but it's not that steep compared to other games.
like the op, i too think this game is awesome!

Upvote 0
I think the steepness of the learning curve is rather related to the player's critical thinking, problem solving, and tactical planning abilities.

The basic controls are a little clunky to get your head around your first few games, but they're not that bad. I think the hard part some people have is simply the maps and positioning of players. If all you have played before were mindless shooters, and have no idea of military movements, then I'm sure it is going to be very hard to understand how you always get killed when you try to get in behind enemy lines, while some player on the other team always seems to have no trouble getting to where he can shoot you in the back.

Upvote 0
This ro2 tried too hard to be more accessible to younger generation by easing most things up became a product that is generally rejected by serious game crowds user contents aside.

Steep learning curve is a more suitable term for ARMA series or A10c warthog, or Falcon 4.0 if you get to know more about the games.

RO2 was one of the easiest among tactical shooters that are GRAW2 pc mp, ARMA2 pr, AA3, RSV2
which might be good for beginners, but very very disappointing to experienced gamers in general.

You might not know this but most old ro series vets are long gone from the game, so that explains it too well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This ro2 tried too hard to be more accessible to younger generation by easing most things up became a product that is generally rejected by serious game crowds user contents aside.

Steep learning curve is a more suitable term for ARMA series or A10c warthog, or Falcon 4.0 if you get to know more about the games.

RO2 was one of the easiest among tactical shooters that are GRAW2 pc mp, ARMA2 pr, AA3, RSV2
which might be good for beginners, but very very disappointing to experienced gamers in general.

You might not know this but most old ro series vets are long gone from the game, so that explains it too well.

I wouldn't necessarily say 'experienced gamers'.
I think we're along the lines of 'mature gamers' or something like that.
There are many experienced 1337 gamers that typ3 laik dis

Upvote 0
Welcome to RO2, been playing RO1/DH for over 6 years now and really enjoying RO2 even with the really minor bugs here and there that people seem to forget were in RO1 as well back in the day. Yes it has a steep learning curve compared to the other FPS's out there due to teamwork being a must on any map. Wait till the SDK comes out and a whole slew of maps start popping up. Then this game will get really good.

Upvote 0

Ro2 isn't a simulator, and since you mention Ro2 is disappointing to experienced "gamers", clearly you have no idea what your talking about. None of those games you mentioned is built for multiplayer.

Secondly, you don't have to stick with a old idea that something that's hard to do-even if the real world task your simulating is actually easy to do in real life- is the the way to go when it comes to shooters. There's too many subtle features, game-play mechanics, for someone with your knowledge or idea of what makes a good FPS to appreciate whats been done here.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
If any knowlegeable gamer countered my opinion with proper reaon I would be surprised.

But you too...are just..

I already did numerous times, you just seem to ignore it. :cool:

And don't you mean "Two?"

btw: I see you got another red block added to your name.... interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: TT33
Upvote 0
Ro2 isn't a simulator, and since you mention Ro2 is disappointing to experienced "gamers", clearly you have no idea what your talking about. None of those games you mentioned is built for multiplayer. .

What are you trying to say?
Your claims don't have reasoning behind them.

Secondly, you don't have to stick with a old idea that something that's hard to do-even if the real world task your simulating is actually easy to do in real life- is the the way to go when it comes to shooters. There's too many subtle features, game-play mechanics, for someone with your knowledge or idea of what makes a good FPS to appreciate whats been done here.

It's just tiring to explain more, most vets except few here left ro2.
Let's leave it at that.

Upvote 0
...... It's just tiring to explain more, most vets except few here left ro2.
Let's leave it at that.

What would you know? you joined the forums only a month ago.

I only see 2-3 so-called vets in here complaining about RO2 and recycling the same garbage over and over again, while supplying the same two videos that apparently prove their case.... over and over again.

Even if the old RO Vets did decide to leave..... who really gives a crap?

A business can not survive as a business if they only cater to the same small group of customers all the time without trying to bring in new customers..... eventually that old group of customers will either lose interest & move onto something else.... or die and eventually the developer won't have enough money coming in to stay in buesiness.....

I'm not speaking for Tripwire here, but making the game more interesting to thousands more customers is worth losing a small handful of so-called Vets who gave them a few bucks in the past who now think they're entitled to dictating how the game should be.... simply because "They're Experienced Gamers"..... regardless if their demands would destroy hundreds/thousands of man hours and development into something new, as if their 20-30 bucks in the past would magically cover it.

Sucks but it's true.

Upvote 0
my main purpose was to show there are many gamers like myself who didn't like the way ro2 took.

You say you're ro vets but how many of them are left now unlike the expectation?

Don't know and don't really care.... that isn't any means of measurement on how good or how successful a video game is.

I played TFC and DoD for years and loved them a lot, yet didn't get too far into TF2 or DoD:Source.... not because they're crappy games or because they changed things to something I don't like..... I have my own reasons why I stopped playing those games which don't attribute to how good I think they are.

Maybe I'm a huge fan of RO...... maybe I love RO2 a lot and play it piles.... yet then some other game comes along that sucks me away from RO2 and I find myself playing it more...... that's not to say RO2 sucks or has things in it I don't like, or that it's too realistic or unrealistic, I just prefer another game more.

That's exactly what happened to me with Unreal Tournament 2004 when Red Orchestra Combined Arms came out. I was playing UT2004 constantly since the free demo was available.... then RO came along and I was sucked into it and hardly played UT2004 since.

There was nothing wrong with UT2004 and it was/is still a fun game, but I just ended up playing RO more.

^ this, among hundreds of other possible reasons can be attributed to why some RO Vets may no longer play RO.... including not liking the game at all. Saying fewer RO Vets play RO2 doesn't tell or prove anything to anybody except fewer RO Vets play RO2. (Keep in mind that this claim isn't even proven yet and all hypothetical at this stage)

At the same time, one could ask the question: How many RO:CA Vets stopped playing RO when RO1 came out?

I'd count myself as one of those, as I have played RO2/Beta more in the last two months then I have played RO1 since its release up until now.... hell, I've played the Mod more in one year than I played RO1 since 2005.

Yet, I'm not going to start making claims that RO1 was a failure and turned off more RO:CA Vets, because I don't have the numbers to crunch to confirm that..... but based on my personal observations, I remember seeing more servers and more players playing more often in the mod than what I saw in RO1.

Reactions: TT33
Upvote 0
Cpt-Praxius

I joined the Forums in 2009, does that make me a veteran or not? I played the Ro mod some time before tanks were implemented, no idea which version though. Does that make me a veteran?
And anyway, what's all this garbage about being a veteran or not?
I had a timeout of RO for about a year, because of studies not allowing me to play anymore (going to the US for one semester without my gaming rig) and right afterwards going to China for half a year, again without my PC. So would you count me as a newcomer, veteran or returning veteran, or what? I am really interested. not.

Anyway, all my steam friends, except my brother, I do know through RO, as RO is the only multiplayer game I play. There is 60 of it. Every single one of them purchased RO 2. While even half a year ago, I would see 10-15 of them playing RO/DH, I now can hardly see more than 3 playing the game at the same time. Many of them did not touch RO 2 for several weeks already.

Now I know that this is no valid research material, but it still shows me that sth is wrong when mad RO fans who all awaited this game are not playing it. This cannot be denied and shouldn't be ignored. And certainly, the game has a problem, when it's playerbase is declining as fast as it did with RO 2. I might be forgetting teh 20,000 players that are constantly switching servers and so are not showing up on the steamgraphs as others wanted to tell us a couple of weeks ago. But do you think it's realistic?

What I don't understand from you, Cpt-Praxius, is that you are constantly trying to make the "RO-vets" (hate this word) looking like a bunch of whiners. I am checking the forums every day, for about an hour and most I can see is valid criticism. Well-structured, well-presented and most of all: PRODUCTIVE CRITICISM.

If you have a problem with people posting their concerns, then I think sth is wrong with you. I think in the end, you are sitting in the same boat as many others here. They all want to have an enjoyable RO 2. If you find it enjoyable already, good for you. Go on, play the game, but let others say what they dislike, because maybe that will make TWI change some of the criticized points so that they jump into the game again.
And guess what? Maybe the result will be, that next year, you have still somebody to shoot in your "perfect game".

Peace.

Upvote 0