• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design The winter revenge.... [Preview]

Drecks

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
The Netherlands
On the morning of 3 November 1943, the 4th Panzer Army awoke to a massive Soviet bombardment.
The German forces screening the bridgehead were smashed, and Kiev was liberated in short order.
1st Ukrainian Front's objectives were to drive quickly westwards to take the
towns of Zhitomir, Korosten, Berdichev, and Fastov. This would cut the rail
link to Army Group Center and would be the first step towards the encirclement
of Army Group South.

The plan was ambitious, but nonetheless was proceeding very well for Vatutin.

Zhitomir was taken by the 38th Army. The 60th Army was at the gates of Korosten.
40th Army was moving south from Kiev. The only break that the Germans caught was
that 27th Army burned itself out and went over to the defensive in the Bukrin bend.

========================================================

Zhitomir 1943 is the winterversion of the 1941 summer map.
This version is siutated november 1943. More then two years has passed
and the tide turned. The Red Army started a fierce offensive to hunt the fascist
out of Russia.

In this version the Soviets has to attack and hunt the Germans out of the city of
Zhitomir. The map has more destruction and a different capsequence.
Was planning to release it today but i ran out of time....

Need to add more destruction and cover so work to be done....

The overhead with Nikolai Fyodorovich Vatutin

zit1943.jpg

z1943.jpg

z1943a.jpg

z1943b.jpg

z1943c.jpg

z1943d.jpg

z1943e.jpg

Nice way to maximize your time investment, Drecks. That snow certainly looks dirty--I like to see my snow pure white, like the cocaine I do off of Lindsey Lohan's butt--but I know what you're going for. I assume the buildings show more damage in this version, since it takes place after the first battle? Perhaps you could add thousands of bullet holes on the building textures (even the indoor ones), to show more old battle damage?

Something else that would make it look and feel different from the summer Zhitomir would be to add falling snowflakes, since the summer version doesn't have anything falling, other than bodies.

Upvote 0
OK, here I begin my nitpicking. :)
Русская армия
Немецкая армия / or if you wanted to say "germans" without "army", then "Немцы"
Немецкие войска

You have "мина" written all over the place. This means "mine", not plural. Should say "мины"
Then Pavlov's prospect is Павловский проспект. Also, please tell, what did you want to say with "Житомир карта"? Is it "Zhitomir's map/Map of Zhitomir" or just "Zhitomir map"? If first, then write "Карта Житомира"
Also, not "Киев проспект" but "Киевский проспект".
But all in all - looking good. :)

PS I hope you can read cyrillic on your PC..

Upvote 0
In this version the Soviets has to attack and hunt the Germans out of the city of Zhitomir. The map has more destruction and a different capsequence.
Was planning to release it today but i ran out of time....

Need to add more destruction and cover so work to be done....

Love to quote myself.

The last three objective might be without a recap. Not sure about the 1917 park tho. That's the open field. And hard to defend.

Upvote 0
Speaking of cold, why hasn't anyone come up with a way to show avatars' breath in cold weather? There must be a way of making it into a mutator.

Drecks, maybe this map could start off a new contest "How cold does your map feel?" First person to make a map that causes the actual players at their computers to wear blankets wins.

Upvote 0
"Fluffy White Stuff on the Ground and It Gets Squishy in My Boots Amid the Ruins of Some City in Russia: Strategic_no_Tanks_v1.0.a.3.c.67d.1_GermansExtraSalty".

That's my suggestion.

Or you could go with "Anna'l'piki-ovka'ka-in-er-grad"
But that's a mouth full compared to my first suggestion.

OOOO. How about "Zhitomer-1943"??? But you know, that's sort of boring.

Nice work Drecks. I personally prefer '41 but this is certainly an interesting twist on a map and will certainly prolong your hard work.

Upvote 0
Maybe you can use the Winter camo skins from Fennich? I don't think that it will be a TK fest because the 2 camo's doesn't look like eachother (the Russian one is totally white while the German one only has one thing in white).

That would be a nice finnishing touch ;)

Trust me I've been bothering him to add this since he told me he was doing a winter version. He pushed me off for a while because of the zombie bug but he has no excuse now. I probably bug him about it at least once a day for the past few weeks now. So thanks for the support :p

Upvote 0
Trust me I've been bothering him to add this since he told me he was doing a winter version. He pushed me off for a while because of the zombie bug but he has no excuse now. I probably bug him about it at least once a day for the past few weeks now. So thanks for the support :p

I've fixed the zombie bug on my FJ & snow camo skins - see here:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15334&page=3

I'd love to see either the SS or Heer winter camo skins used in this version of Zhitomir.

Upvote 0
OK, here I begin my nitpicking. :)
Русская армия
Немецкая армия / or if you wanted to say "germans" without "army", then "Немцы"
Немецкие войска

You have "мина" written all over the place. This means "mine", not plural. Should say "мины"
Then Pavlov's prospect is Павловский проспект. Also, please tell, what did you want to say with "Житомир карта"? Is it "Zhitomir's map/Map of Zhitomir" or just "Zhitomir map"? If first, then write "Карта Житомира"
Also, not "Киев проспект" but "Киевский проспект".
But all in all - looking good. :)

PS I hope you can read cyrillic on your PC..

At first i wanted to write everything right but the history channel showed
me last week most maps overthere where made by the Bratok company.
This company was notorious for the man who finalized these maps.
This man was Sergey Vratikov and he suffers from severe dyslexia.

So in order not to dwell away from the path of historical righteousness and
not want people like you to have sleepless nights i thought i better used
these misspelled Sergey Vratikov maps instead of nice correct but inaccurate stuff.
I wanted to keep it accurate.

I'm amazed you never heard of the man.

More on Sergey Vratikov you can find here at this website

Upvote 0