• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

Actually I'm the opposite, if I want to play a game I can't play the prequels because I figure with each sequel the devs polish up the gameplay and since I see games as challenges I have to play the most valid challenge which means the latest and most polished version. The story doesn't mean anything to me mostly, its mostly an unrealistic mediocre plothole infested fairytale. Like Max Payne 3, they try to make the game realistic and the cutscenes succeed at it somewhat but as soon as you start playing you kill people by the dozens, no way would that ever be possible without reaching global media attention. You leave such a huge trail of bodies max payne would be in a mental instituation irl.
I just happend to have played MP 1 and 2 when they came out but if i didn't I would've just skipped to MP3.

Ofcourse there are exceptions, Rome total war has always been my favorite TW, also played C&C 3 while C&C 4 was already out because C&C 4 got really bad scores. Also been playing Bioshock 2, realized the story is more important in that game so I was thinking about playing Bioshock 1 first so I stopped playing BS2 with the idea I will reinstall BS1 at one point but I didn't and now I have no idea anymore what I had on my mind when I was playing bs2.

Upvote 0
After that I'm going to give a go at Far Cry 2. Never played that one and I heard it was a horrible console port so guess I'm looking forward to it. :rolleyes:

Certainly wasn't a console port. Graphics were great, the controls worked, featured quick saves and it had a map editor.

I don't replay games if I am playing a sequel. And often times I will play a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th game in the series without ever playing the previous games.

Upvote 0
Certainly wasn't a console port. Graphics were great, the controls worked, featured quick saves and it had a map editor.

Yeah, I foolishly went off by what others had told me instead of doing my homework. Apparently it was developed on PC and ported to the consoles, not the other way around. Hence why Far Cry 3 lacks the environmental physics and details Far Cry 2 has, because that iteration was actually the console port.

Sorry Comrade, you are complaining about Far Cry already and haven't touched Far Cry 2 yet?

Haha, can you please give me a notification when you have 5 hours logged into FC 2? I want to hear about your mental disabilities then.

FC 2 was the biggest disappointment for a long time when it came out. And it can cause mental disabilities.

I got 30 hours with the game so far and surprisingly I'm enjoying it (and mentally stable). To be fair though I did indeed go against my usual doctrine of playing straight vanilla the first time through any game. I installed Dylan's Realism Mod and went to town on FC2 with SweetFX, it's like a whole new game quite honestly. Improves a good deal of flaws, but unfortunately not all of them.

Have fun with the malaria.

I'm at "Sickness Level 3" and it didn't take long to get there either. I can sprint about as much as I can in Ostfront lol. I don't mind, it's enough to move when I need to and the Malaria only kicks in every 30 minutes or so. Nothing major.

Upvote 0
I finished The Regiment. It is a SWAT/R6 style tactical shooter based around the SAS. Not as good as either of those titles as it lacks customizable loadouts, AI commands are very limited, AI can't throw grenades, AI isn't that smart, team AI blocks you frequently and the maps tend to go in straight forward paths, but it is still rather good. Worth a try if you like SWAT/R6.

Upvote 0
Finished Spec Ops: The Line.

I have mixed feelings. It was like watching a pretty good, dystopian military flick, ala Apocalypse Now. I enjoyed it more in that sense than as a game.

There's an artistry to the design and visuals and story elements that made it more than "just" a man-shooting game. Some of it was overbearing, and sets up some non-sensical choices/plot movements that only make sense later in the game...but overall it was a different take on Manshooter Storylines than most other FPSs do. Scratch that, other FPS games have had stories akin to this. But they only make a token gesture to the themes while Spec Ops is a game built around them.

At $10, I think I got my money's worth, if only to see what it was about the game that got people talking. It's not game of the year, but it's definitely a conversation starter for everything from American military culture, to player agency to what it actually means to play a game. It gets meta in a way that no FPS really ever does, and only a handful of other games attempt. I guess what's most surprising is that the game ever got green-lit by a traditional publisher.

While mechanically it wasn't a great game, the shooting sufficed and even manages to get challenging/immersive after a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finished Spec Ops: The Line.

I have mixed feelings. It was like watching a pretty good, dystopian military flick, ala Apocalypse Now. I enjoyed it more in that sense than as a game.

As did I. The shooting mechanics were lame and unimpressive, and the movement was downright horrible. A lot of the shooting sections got very tedious and repetitive. But the story and setting made the game interesting. Graphics get the job done, but some of the weapons and other objects look very ugly for a 2012 game.

Upvote 0
I read Heart of Darknessa a little after first playing DOOM. I think I watched Apocalypse Now after reading Heart of Darkness. So yeah, I was aware that it's twice derivative and as soon as they mentioned Konrad (oh so subtle) it was pretty clear what their inspiration was.

But that all just speaks to how ****ing metal the themes in Heart of Darkness are.

And yeah, the movement especially was not my cup of tea. Nothing like sprinting and cutting a corner only to suddenly LOLSLIDE into cover. Or hitting a piece of cover the wrong way and ending up crouched in front of a wall with 20 guys shooting you. Or desperately needing what looks like a position you can vault over....and you can't do **** to it, and get shot in the back and die. I got shot in the back a lot playing on normal. That's not a good way to die in a game ><

The times where the shooting falls flatest to me was the beginning, because the enemies are easy and they just throw wave...after wave....after wave at you.

By mid/late game when there are RPGs, the enemy is throwing grenades and you're fighting from a shoebox worth of cover, the game gets a bit spicier. Still nothing to write a lot home about, but this is a FPS where their focus was NOT on the shooting mechanics and it made for a decent experience. (At $10. No ****ing way I would have ever paid full price for it.)

I'm still not sure if I enjoyed it in any true sense as a game though, or whether it ultimately managed to say something profound, or was just a lot of navel-gazing punctuated by railroading the player into what eventually happened.

(Seriously, if you entertain even the slightest notion of playing the game, don't read the spoiler.)

Spoiler!

I mean, I have to give it props because so many games try to make an overt moral/political point and do it really poorly. Then a rare game comes along that doesn't try to make an overt moral/political point, but manages to ask the questions in the right way, in a way that ends up sticking in your craw a little. Or maybe their point is layered under so many contradictions and plausible explanations that they can get away with acting like they had no point at all.

TLDR; Good story, cool detail elements that really make you feel the story! Could take or leave the rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just finished Warcraft 3 RoC on hard... Damn, the last mission took me all night, but it was damn worth it! Too bad I had to basically spam one unit instead of going for the bit-of-everything army, but if it works it works. Nevertheless, amazing game overall, no wonder it was so popular in the mod community (and still is considering its age)

Ever thought how blizzard does it? I mean, every single game of theirs has been a hit. Especially thinking now how they started from a good strategy to go and make the all around best mmo based on the same setting. Not to mention Starctaft.

Upvote 0
I've been looking at everyone's assessment of Far Cry 3 lately and decided I want to give it a try regardless of my utter disdain for everything Ubisoft.

Problem is I have a compulsive disorder when gaming in that I must play a series chronologically and start on the very first title even if the iterations aren't related. I know, I'm nuts.

So I'm playing through Far Cry (the Crytek game not the weird console one), and while it brings back some good memories... man, it feels so dated functionality wise. It isn't as open-ended as I remembered and I'm having a grueling time slogging through the campaign (not because of difficulty but because of outdated mechanics). About six more levels to go until I'm done and I'm counting the days so to speak.

After that I'm going to give a go at Far Cry 2. Never played that one and I heard it was a horrible console port so guess I'm looking forward to it. :rolleyes:

Far Cry 2 seems to be a love-and-hate game for many people. It's not like the game is bad. It is just that there are some things that makes the game a pain to play, such as gaurd posts everywhere, spawnins enemies, and the constant hunt to find medicine to treat your malaria. And the repetetive missions. It is more freeroam than FC1 though. FC3 is way better than FC2, even though I miss some things from FC2 such as the watch which you can change time with.

Upvote 0
Been playing KOTOR2. Got it as a gift from a giveaway on GOG (the user community there does tons of them). I'm very impressed so far, and enjoying it much more than KOTOR1. Apart from small but significant interface improvements, the writing is on another level entirely. I was somewhat disappointed with KOTOR1 as I thought a lot of the dialogue was uninteresting, Bastila was the only remotely interesting character to me and she was still kinda meh.

Kreia though... wow.

Also been playing Conquest of the Aegean again lately. I can't stress how much anyone who likes wargaming needs to check this game out now!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nox said:
Been playing KOTOR2.

Are you using the latest restored content mod? [url]http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm[/URL]

I haven't played KOTOR 2 yet, but I really enjoyed the first one. I'll get around to it :p

I've been playing a lot of DH lately. Last night I got a hair up my butt and I downloaded the latest Fistful of Frags; havent played this one since like version 1.4 or so. Apparently he's added a dueling game mode with free aim (?). I'll fire it up later tonight.

Upvote 0
just finished a single player game on civilization v. Great fun , won "ze germans" by 15 points, via end of rounds victory, on the year 2050. right now im installing the goty edition ans see if gods and kings expansion pack is any good. Seems like in the expansion you can`t conquer that many cities as your citizens are getting unhappy, because of number of enemy citys conquered, which should be good thing, because now there should be more than two super civs left the time you enter the modern era.

overall great game, my first game was the first civ and the fifth felt and played like the first one, but luxury resources and city states gives the game more possibilities. I feel though that it should be abit easier to have diplomatic relations with the city states. In the vanilla civ V, its too expensive to give money to become friends, and the task seems akward allso so the best seems to be just to conquer them and get they`re luxury resources. another annoyance is allso, that the game runs very sluggish when the whole map starts to reveal. My 4 year old laptop is partly to blame allso, but seems to me like there`s some memory leakage somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you using the latest restored content mod? [url]http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm[/URL]

I haven't played KOTOR 2 yet, but I really enjoyed the first one. I'll get around to it :p

I've been playing a lot of DH lately. Last night I got a hair up my butt and I downloaded the latest Fistful of Frags; havent played this one since like version 1.4 or so. Apparently he's added a dueling game mode with free aim (?). I'll fire it up later tonight.

Ya I am, that and the droid planet thing too.

Upvote 0