• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on my PS2.

I think I've clocked 20 hours in the last couple days. I'm determined to beat it this time. Now that I finally understand how to fuse demons for maximum effectiveness, I'm tearing the game up trying to get 100% demons registered before I finish. Between my two save files I have almost 100 hours clocked up, and I've never even beaten it.

Seriously one of the best JRPGs I've played since FF7, specifically because it's all the best parts about Japanese RPGs, the non-Western thinking and the love of the occult and mythology, without all the parts I hate. The cuteness, goofiness, romance and teen-inspired drama. I generally don't dig very deep into the heavily Japanese games out there, but this is one I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My brother instantly bought the pre-order since it was a load of fun. TB also stated something like that. I am still not convinced that it is a game for me (not 'the game is bad wise', just how long till I am fed up with it).

I am playing the Nuclear dawn demo at the moment, which surprised me when I saw how solid it was. So gonna play that alongside RO2 for the chaos gameplay.

I am going to format my whole computer and reinstall windows, there are some issues I can't get solved and I better do it now before the RO2 beta:)

Upvote 0
finished Far cry 2 - technically it's excellent, good setting, adult theme / dialogue and a decent idea.
However the makers don't seem to know how to build a decent game on top of this - the stealth mechanic is poor, no lean+prone , missions are repetitive with enemies that are all the same.

What really doesn't help is fact that everyone in either faction automatically opens fire on you, but they don't seem to interact with each other.
In free-roaming semi rpg story type games this is poor as it breaks the idea that you are in a part of a living world which you can affect as and when you wish.
Haven't they played STALKER to see how it's done?

Inevitably i started crysis after that - much better really so far, more interesting and using stealth and different assault tactics is great.
visuals don't impress me as much as i expected thou..

Upvote 0
Started Killzone 3 today... not exactly blown away so far. Played for about 1h(the part where you're still fighting in the nuked town). Shooting and movement mechanics are solid as usual with very much weight to it. Still it didn't feel great to me yet. Maybe it's just this first level. The cutscene after that was very nice and promises an interesting story with charismatic antagonists. Graphics were kinda weird too, so much heavy tearing. Maybe it's my TVs fault.

Upvote 0
finished Far cry 2 - technically it's excellent, good setting, adult theme / dialogue and a decent idea.
However the makers don't seem to know how to build a decent game on top of this - the stealth mechanic is poor, no lean+prone , missions are repetitive with enemies that are all the same.

What really doesn't help is fact that everyone in either faction automatically opens fire on you, but they don't seem to interact with each other.
In free-roaming semi rpg story type games this is poor as it breaks the idea that you are in a part of a living world which you can affect as and when you wish.
Haven't they played STALKER to see how it's done?

Inevitably i started crysis after that - much better really so far, more interesting and using stealth and different assault tactics is great.
visuals don't impress me as much as i expected thou..

Crysis 1 and especially Warhead have really good graphics, even for current games. Keep in mind Crysis 1 came out in 2007. :)

Farcry 2 is just an open world shooter. Don't think of it as an RPG. Overall it was a good game, but some minor tweaks could have made the game much better. Adding some more RPG features would have been great to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Crysis 1 and especially Warhead have really good graphics, even for current games. Keep in mind Crysis 1 came out in 2007. :)

Farcry 2 is just an open world shooter. Don't think of it as an RPG. Overall it was a good game, but some minor tweaks could have made the game much better. Adding some more RPG features would have been great to.

sorry i didn't mean RPG, i did mean open world story fps.
It did need more rpg elements as it stood, and interesting side quests that were more distinct from the main missions. ( i used to just park the battle truck on the edge of >wherever< and shell the crap out of it)

It kind of fits between crysis (multiple approaches to essentially linear missions) and STALKER (what i would call a 'light' RPG shooter - nothing like real RPGs but for me the perfect amount of RPGness if you are going to have any at all in a shooter - if that makes sense. like deus-ex 1 too)

anyway whatever farcry2 is, it could have been better.
whatever crysis is, it does have the mark of quality all over it.

Upvote 0