• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 The ultimate red orchestra realism destructible environment

Bunny monster

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Whoever has played games with destructible environment knows what I'm talking about, walls that crush when you go with tanks into them buildings that go down when you use explosives, things like that. I hope red orchestra will somehow do the same in the future or maybe a mod but till then I love playing what we currently have now. :D

I really don't see the point in not implementing it just add limited artillery support and satchel charges so that you won't be able to destroy everything its just easy I mean why not make it like battlefield. Battlefield has a lot of gizmo for destroying buildings though not everybody abuses it. Why not the same with red orchestra I would love to see newly shaped maps by the destruction of environment.

Upvote 0
The Battlefield series kinda sucks IMO, I wouldn't want RO2 to be anything like it.

If you want to add more destruction, it has to add enough to gameplay to make a difference, not be a distraction to gameplay, and it has to be worth all the time, money, resources for creating and bug testing such destruction while not taking away from other things that might add more to the game.

At this point, I'm sure that TWI budget isn't even remotely close to that of EA/DICE and even if they had more money, I could think of many other things that would be nice for the game. Destruction like the Battlefield series wouldn't even be on the list.

Upvote 0
The Battlefield series kinda sucks IMO, I wouldn't want RO2 to be anything like it.

If you want to add more destruction, it has to add enough to gameplay to make a difference, not be a distraction to gameplay, and it has to be worth all the time, money, resources for creating and bug testing such destruction while not taking away from other things that might add more to the game.

At this point, I'm sure that TWI budget isn't even remotely close to that of EA/DICE and even if they had more money, I could think of many other things that would be nice for the game. Destruction like the Battlefield series wouldn't even be on the list.
Yeah...

But I would want Battlefield to be more like RO. :D

Upvote 0
Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing more strategically important items being destructible by direct tank fire and pretty much anything on the ground/short walls crushable by a tank.

Nothing silly like BF3 though.

It's more work for modders, I'd rather they spend their time on new content.

Upvote 0
Destructible environments could be done, eventually. I'm for the idea in concept but right now most games don't do it very well. If you shoot a shell at a reinforced concrete wall in most games it either magically explodes into dust and a number of preset lumps bounce about or it has the Crysis style "house is made of cardboard" issue. If anything there would be a hole in the wall and the shell would have to react to the metal in the structure, but it would also depend on how many times the wall has been shot and what shells are being used. Also bunkers would have to have wear and chip damage to them as opposed to the old "this target has 7000 health, at zero it explodes" logic.
Even if the tech does improve where such things are doable on a computer smaller than a house you would need one hell of an SDK for map makers to ever adopt the idea.

So maybe in 15 years. Now? No, most certainly not.

Upvote 0
Agree with this, big time. Tanks should be able to run over a lot of the indestructible clutter on the maps.

Agreed, a drive in the park on Fallen Fighters is any but.

Making destructible more mapping friendly would be a good place to start. For one, the desructible replication actor shouldn't be needed, compiling the map should automatically clear/populate the list.

Destructibles with states and damage types/ammount need to be included straight from the content browser, with the ability to edit the advanced properties once the asset is in the level.

Blowing up roofs allowing arty to penetrate into cover, first hit destroys roof section, next hit lands inside. Currently no destructible roof meshes.

Make Cover nodes that use destructibles assign themeselve to the destrucible during compiling, just as cover nodes populate objectives do currently.

Add stock fractured meshes for simple walls/fences. Crushing parts or blowing them up in sections. Right now, it's all or nothing.

All the above would take a lot of time and coding to implement. Down to return on investment, cost versus revenue. At this point, more vehicles are more likey to generate sales than destructible fluff and streamlining the SDK.

Upvote 0
All the above would take a lot of time and coding to implement. Down to return on investment, cost versus revenue. At this point, more vehicles are more likely to generate sales than destructible fluff and streamlining the SDK.

if only you could convince them to implement it into kf2 as well, to make demomen more useful than blowing themselves up :D

Upvote 0