• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The interface makes the game way more frustrating than it should be

120 hours and never seen the colours?

You blind? Or sitting 3 inches away from a 27 inch screen?

It's literally something you can work out in an hour of playtime lol. It appears every single time you get hurt by anything. The fact that it appears out of no where means it should naturally draw your eyes to it.

First of all - I am agreeing with you. I think the colors are a great way to point out the bleeding - I just think there needs to be an indication. I don't know why you are belittling me over this.

Secondly - bleeding out is reasonably rare. It doesn't happen every time you get shot, most of the time you die immediately. This does not give you a consistent pattern to be able to figure things out.

Thirdly, I assumed the color of the body part was the severity of the injury, not the rate at which I am bleeding out. This is because it persists after I bandage - and again, the game never explains this. I always thought bleeding showed up in red, - I never noticed that there are different colors while you are bleeding. This is because when I am bleeding out in-game, I am paying attention to my surroundings and the only thing on my mind is either shooting any bad guys or finding a place to bandage.

But enough about bleeding out. I just seriously think it needs some hint text in the game at this point.

I revised my original post to remove redundant ideas or make things more clear. Would you mind re-reading everything not in the "controversial" section and letting me know if you still think those suggestions are babying?

Upvote 0
I believe the spawn point that Auto will choose for you will be selected (red) in the spawn-select map.

Ah - this is another thing I forgot to mention. I don't know if others share this sentiment, but I find the spawn-circles really hard to see on the map - I think there should be more contrast.

I think it would be so much better if you could click the points on the map directly (and if your squad leader showed up as a clickable point on the map)

Upvote 0
There is an indication lol. Do you want another indication pointing out the first indication?

Poor wording on my part, by "indication" I meant some text / hint indicating and pointing this out, so that I am aware of it.

I don't know why you're so concerned with pointing out the colors. I explained the reasons why I missed this in the previous post, which you ignored.

Let me ask you a question - without looking, can you name which letters have which colors in the Google logo? It's something you see fairly often, but just because you see it often doesn't mean it's something you pay attention to.

Upvote 0
Thinking about it now there is text lol. Bottom of the screen. Telling you that you are bleeding slowly and what button to push to bandage.

There's about 3 indications that you have been shot and action should be taken. A quick glance tells you how bad it is.

Google has more than 3 colours and the colours don't mean anything.

Upvote 0
Thinking about it now there is text lol. Bottom of the screen. Telling you that you are bleeding slowly and what button to push to bandage.

Yes, I know there is text there. It says "you are bleeding slowly". I am saying that nowhere does the game ever explain roughly what "slowly' means.

I am also saying that you are never told that the colors indicate the level of injury AND the speed that you are bleeding out. Is this too much to ask?

Regarding Google colors not meaning anything - this is precisely what I'm talking about. You don't pay attention to something if you don't know it is meaningful. So it would be cool if the game contained some sort of way to indicate that the bleeding-meter is meaningful as both a level-of-injury meter ("my aim will be affected by X% by this hit to my arm") and a bleeding-meter ("I have X amount of time before I need to think about bandaging").

Even then, what I am left with is "The game says I'm bleeding slowly, and I have a yellow-colored hit to my arm". OK, great. Does "slowly" mean 5 seconds? 20 seconds? There is never any explanations of how long you should expect. Do you think this is good design? Do you think this is intuitive to new players?

Ultimately this is a small issue and I don't know why you keep coming back to this.

I am going to ask you again: I have revised the original post. Would you mind reading over all of the non-controversial suggestions and letting me know if you disagree with any of them? It is very interesting to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You aren't supposed to know exactly lol. Becuase it isn't exact. Maximum 7 seconds and that's from yellow.

People have grown up knowing what the colours yellow, orange and red mean. Everyone knows that red is worse than orange and orange is worse than yellow. It's something most people would be able to work out and there's always Google to confirm.

Anyway. The only thing I really agree about is the stuff about steam friends. But not the part where you steal another squad position from someone else. They may not of specifically chosen it but they may want to be in that position anyway. As it changes the squad leader. Squad leader 1 might be a Good squad leader. I don't want t be moved to squad 3 whos leader is a level 11 who still hasn't worked out how to crouch yet.

Artillery Incoming. All you need to know. A good TL will usually tell you as well. They will tell you to check your maps. Your map displays the exact location. Useless text telling you the map grid and what squad leader dropped it doesn't matter. A map grid requires you to open your map anyway and why the hell would you need to know what squad leaders Mark it is? The TL says which squad leader it is half the time anyway lol.

Doesn't need a 2 minute timer. The lockdown timer only shows when it ticks over each minute and for the last few seconds.

There is already a tip related to Japanese grenades that I know. Bleeding out is sort of explained but not the colours. But you would need a hole paragraph to explain everything. There be guides.

Muting from the scoreboard isn't a bad idea. Don't see the problem with having dead behind their name when they are in fact dead. Shows who's dead and who's not. Straightforward and easy to see.

Camera controls work fine for me. Every game is different.

Bleeding out death fade is a punishment for getting shot. Hilarious getting melee kills or 100m rifle hipfire kills from those. I automatically click a spawn thing when I hit the menu. Don't have any problem with the mouse at all.

And I don't want to start of lying down or crouched when I spawn on a squad leader. You'd just get shot lying down instead lol. Whenever anyway spawns they move. They live somewhere fast. And that's what I want to do. Game does pretty well at spawning you on team mates. Better than battlefield anyway.

Upvote 0
You aren't supposed to know exactly lol. Becuase it isn't exact. Maximum 7 seconds and that's from yellow.

People have grown up knowing what the colours yellow, orange and red mean. Everyone knows that red is worse than orange and orange is worse than yellow. It's something most people would be able to work out and there's always Google to confirm.

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling me at this point. My original suggestion was to get more information about the exact time, you have convinced me that that's wrong.

My suggestion now is that, at some point (as a loading screen hint, maybe), the game gives you a general idea of what to expect. "When you're bleeding slowly, you have somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds to get to safety". When you actually get hit, I am not suggesting this information appears.

Anyway. The only thing I really agree about is the stuff about steam friends. But not the part where you steal another squad position from someone else. They may not of specifically chosen it but they may want to be in that position anyway. As it changes the squad leader. Squad leader 1 might be a Good squad leader. I don't want t be moved to squad 3 whos leader is a level 11 who still hasn't worked out how to crouch yet.

Fair enough, what if the person on the other squad was given an option to switch (e.g. press F4 to accept the request, and it will switch the squads without killing that person)?

Artillery Incoming. All you need to know. A good TL will usually tell you as well. They will tell you to check your maps. Your map displays the exact location. Useless text telling you the map grid and what squad leader dropped it doesn't matter. A map grid requires you to open your map anyway and why the hell would you need to know what squad leaders Mark it is? The TL says which squad leader it is half the time anyway lol.

Then you would rather see the text "Force Respawned" instead of "Force Respawned by Commander <Name>", as the game currently writes it? This text is such a minor change, I'm surprised you're opposed. There is still nothing stopping you from checking the map or listening to your team lead, but it just gives you a little more information and a little more flavor, for a very small dev investment.

Don't see the problem with having dead behind their name when they are in fact dead. Shows who's dead and who's not. Straightforward and easy to see.

Here's an example. Which do you find easier to scan at a glance? (Assume the :p is actually a skull icon; and due to forum formatting, I had to put ... in place of empty spaces):

Current way:

xxPlayerxx (dead)
nicelongusernamehehe
sneakyasianman
hasyolo (dead)
2swole2control
georgeHarrison (dead)
ilWWII (dead)
otherExampleName
IHaveAName (dead)
COME ON
username1234
X * Player * ~~ X

My suggestion:

:p xxPlayerxx
... nicelongusernamehehe
... sneakyasianman
:p hasyolo
... 2swole2control
:p georgeHarrison
:p ilWWII
... otherExampleName
:p IHaveAName
...COME ON
... username1234
... X * Player * ~~ X

Bleeding out death fade is a punishment for getting shot. Hilarious getting melee kills or 100m rifle hipfire kills from those. I automatically click a spawn thing when I hit the menu. Don't have any problem with the mouse at all.

I don't understand why you get punished inconsistently for getting shot - since sometimes you die immediately and grab the next spawn, or getting that bleeding out fade, you can miss the next spawn wave by a second or two. But fair enough.

I am surprised that you've never missed a spawn by a split second due to missing the mouseclick. Would you be opposed if it was an option you could enable ("Default me to auto-spawn (but let me override with my own choice if I want")? That way you could still play and choose your spawn (with the potential of missing it by a split second), or by selecting the option you could have some default assurance that you won't miss a spawn wave.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

Upvote 0
I don't see the problem in waiting the extra 10-30 seconds, yes what you've said has happened to me, but I don't think it matters all that much. Same goes for the skull idea, seems to me your complaining about tiny details, that in essence aren't wrong or bad. Besides TWI isn't going to waste their time on small stuff like this when the entire community doesn't agree on it, or even finds it all that bad. About bandages, it is indeed consistent, you can tell by press 't' to tell where you've been hit, and how bad, it's like lemonater said, it mainly is common sense, it also something you learn over time, like how to aim in this game, most of the skill required is learned, not granted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0