• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The honest thoughts of an RO:Ost vet

agreed.

havent touched it since my classes started again this week. I'll likely gonna put it on hold until winter break and see what the modders have come up with.

This is beginning to seem like a massive waste of my money

The image below set off some alarms for me when i saw it; i should have taken it as warning. I actually did, i just ignored it because i trusted TWI, as i had never been displeased with their products before...

Moral of the story: Dont trust anyone; you will end up disapointed

Spoiler!

my face when i saw that picture for the first time:

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Then why do anything?

My heart wouldn't be broken if I missed a target I was aiming at with a bolt action. It just happens, and it puts more lead in the air which makes for more intense combat.

Because if we don't, the engagement range would be ridiculous unrealistically short ranged.

It makes for unrealistic firefights, which coincidentally aren't that fun or intense.

What you are describing would be realistic if you were missing because you can't take any time to aim properly from risk of getting shot, but if you have even just a few seconds to adjust, 100m range is not something unreal. If anything, missing a person sized target at 50 ~ 100m with bolt action rifle is unrealistic by far, given that your aim is not being interfered with.

Realistic firefight is 1) everyone is missing because nobody can make out clear targets from heat of battle or 2) you are spotted and you die fast.

RO1 had this weird combination where people are spotted but everyone was missing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hangin in there

Hangin in there

There is a lot of talk in the forums about the COD run and gun crowd lately, and though I agree with the sentiment there is hope.

For many in the old COD communities the COD series has become a joke. The company has begun to cater totally to the run and gun crowd over the last 6-10 years, and this has been very disappointing to the actual tactical PC based community. For those of who have become fed up with the COD series RO2 is a great game. Buggy yes! Not quite polished yes! unbalanced in many areas of play yes! Terrible game? No.

I have a sinking suspicion that they rushed release a little bit to make investors happy and meet an agreed upon deadline. However from what I have seen from tripwire in the past they will fix things, and we will have a game we can all be proud of. This of course may take a little bit of time.

Despite some of the problems I am actually enjoying the game (even with the run and gun nuts). I personally think the run and gun young crowd will eventually go away like they always do when something newer comes out. They are a younger crowd after all and blow with the wind. What we will get is a good community enjoying a great game. My clans servers are full 24/7 everyday, so that does say something about the game. And yes many in my clan have been playing RO for years and love the game.

I do agree however with the weapons. There are far too many SMG's to be historically accurate. Keep playing everyone and let tripwire work it all out, I have faith in them from past experience.

Reactions: BoyarPunk
Upvote 0
Why try fixing something that wasn't broken? RO1 played great with barely any effective automatics available.

Because RO1 was unrealistic, and most of the fans claimed to want more realism?

When you couple the automatic weapons with the fact that the maps are unbelievably unbalanced the game pretty much comes across as broken.
Funny, I've played a lot more than you, and it's the best FPS I've ever played. I'm up around 70 hours so far (including beta) and I can have intense battles at long distance, and I can run and gun in close, with a bolt action, SMG, MG...

The one thing I have noticed is the people who dislike the game the most are the people who can only play one style. They can either run and gun, or camp and snipe, but not both. Both guys complain because the run and gunners are getting picked off by the camp and snipers, while the camp and snipers complain because the run and gunners sneak up on them and can kill them before they react.

Funnily enough, this only shows that both styles are effective, and that the game is more well balanced than just about any other.

The problem is that the game is no longer protecting you from your mistakes, whether you are a run and gunner or a camp and sniper. This also means that the automatic weapons (whether they were there or not) are dominating because that is what they were designed to do. No army in the world issues bolt action rifles to their riflemen any more, and you are finding out the reason.

How much more real do you want it?

I stopped playing Axis because it was just too easy,
Because half the Allies are only passing time until they can switch team.

but Allies is frustratingly hard.
Hmm so when the CoD guys showed up at RO1 and you said the game was fine and that if your style doesn't work, you need to change it... you were just being a hypocrite? They thought RO1 was frustratingly hard, and guys like you just laughed and said "get used to it".

Now that you have learned the truth about "camp and snipe", suddenly realism isn't so important any more, and "frustratingly hard" is "game breaking".

The realistic way to fight as the Soviets, that they developed with the strengths and limitations of their armed forces in mind, was to rapidly close with the enemy "to hug him". Not one, not half, EVERYONE.

The reason was because the Germans could and did use artillery and airpower to annihilate troops in the open. What better way to stop the Germans from using artillery than to get so close he would have to artillery his own men?

So, it appears to me that the Russians lose when they try to play RO1 style, as they should. They are all, essentially, assault troops. It's just that some are better equipped than others.

So on practically every map, even as a gunner, I will go charging into the first cap and then the second and so on... except no one ever charges into the first cap with me.. or if they do, they never leave it.

In the end there are 25 campers hanging around the first cap, and then 7 of us trying to cap the next one. Is it any surprise we lose? Not to me. The real Soviet troops would have lost if they did that too.

but it does NOT work for a WW2 game when soldiers were issued extremely standardized equipment.
"Issued" being the operative word. No soldier is ever satisfied with what he is issued with. He will customise it as much as he is allowed to get away with. In the middle of a war, you might find soldiers filing down the trigger sear to give them a dangerously hair trigger, but making them more accurate. Things like that.

Some troops have gear they were issued before the war, that is totally different from the same gear made during the war cheaply and quickly. Some troops "liberate" better gear from more well equipped units, or use captured enemy gear.

Standardisation is a goal, but it rarely makes it past the first shot.

Unlocking a "Winter Trigger Guard" when it doesn't do **** to change the gun is stupid.
It does nothing, is essentially a skin or a hat, and you can totally ignore it and never even see one. So who cares?

Sorry, but it is. Also I find it REALLY funny that TWI made the magazine standard on the PPSH rather than the drum to "balance" it, yet it's still badly inferior to the MP-40 (which is pretty much a laser beam).
Seems fine to me. You sure it's not just you?

We get into the next map and it had jumped to level 40 and he had the double-drum. Seriously..?
Ever heard of bugs? They are little problems in the code that make stuff not work. It's not like anyone INTENDED for it to happen, so why complain? The devs know and are trying to fix it, so piling on won't change anything.

Also as an afterthought... didn't you all say it would take months to become a hero? Everyone I know already has the option of being one. :|
The stats aren't working properly and people are getting massive unearned boosts to their level... and then you are surprised the Hero feature isn't working properly?

Sorry to be so blunt, but unless something radical changes, I won't play this game once Diablo 3 or SWTOR come out :(
Not to be blunt, but they already have your money, so why should they care? Of course they care, but why do you feel ENTITLED to threaten the devs just because the game doesn't suit you? There are bugs that need to be fixed, and TWI is trying to fix them, but they can never make you a better player. That's up to you.

PS: Don't play the "Tripwire is a small company" card, because, though it's small, it's still a COMPANY.
You paid a few bucks, much less than you would for CoD or BF, and have no more bugs than those games have to deal with on release.

Releasing such a broken product is a bad, bad way to run a business for a company of any size. How many mom and pop shops do you know that release crappier stuff than Wal-Mart?
Give over. Name a AAA title that HASN'T had bugs, regardless of the size of the company? You're saying that a tiny company should put MORE effort and MORE money into the product than the companies that make BILLIONS selling games.

You're holding them up to a HIGHER standard than a company whose CEO probably earns more than the whole of TWI. You are not being even remotely fair.

I expect this from a mod team, not an actual game developer.
What's the difference? Still have a set of human brains trying to solve problems. EA has more brains to throw at the problems and yet they STILL released buggier games than TWI.

RO2 beta ran better on my computer, the exact SAME computer. as BFBC2. RO2 release STILL runs better than BFBC2 on my computer. BFBC2 crashes my computer completely, requiring a hard reset, every single time I play it. Not in the past, NOW, nearly a year after release.

But EA are trying to sell me their next piece of crap, rather than fix the one I have already paid for.

TWI are ALREADY better than EA, and you are saying it is not enough? Since when?

Let me see... SWTOR is made by BioWare:

"Further issue arose when a player was unable to activate his purchased copy of the game due to being temporarily banned from the BioWare forums for posting "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?". BioWare's Stanley Woo replied to the user in support of the ban by pointing to sections 9 and 11 of EA's terms of service, which state "EA may terminate access to any online or mobile products and/or EA Services at any time by giving you notice of such termination within the time period specified when you joined the particular EA Service."[58] Woo clearly acknowledged that

Upvote 0
There is a lot of talk in the forums about the COD run and gun crowd lately, and though I agree with the sentiment there is hope.

For many in the old COD communities the COD series has become a joke. The company has begun to cater totally to the run and gun crowd over the last 6-10 years, and this has been very disappointing to the actual tactical PC based community. For those of who have become fed up with the COD series RO2 is a great game. Buggy yes! Not quite polished yes! unbalanced in many areas of play yes! Terrible game? No.

I have a sinking suspicion that they rushed release a little bit to make investors happy and meet an agreed upon deadline. However from what I have seen from tripwire in the past they will fix things, and we will have a game we can all be proud of. This of course may take a little bit of time.

Despite some of the problems I am actually enjoying the game (even with the run and gun nuts). I personally think the run and gun young crowd will eventually go away like they always do when something newer comes out. They are a younger crowd after all and blow with the wind. What we will get is a good community enjoying a great game. My clans servers are full 24/7 everyday, so that does say something about the game. And yes many in my clan have been playing RO for years and love the game.

I do agree however with the weapons. There are far too many SMG's to be historically accurate. Keep playing everyone and let tripwire work it all out, I have faith in them from past experience.

I agree it's not a bad game.

honestly out of all the piles of s*** released in the past few years, as well as the upcoming ones, RO2 is the least s***iest.

It's fun, but i cant see myself playing vanilla RO2 for much longer. Game is not bad, its just not what i wanted or expected...

I find it rather sad that we have to turn to modders to provide us with the core gameplay that we expected from RO2 in the first place. Mods should modify the game, not finish it...

Upvote 0

I haven't played CoD since 4, and I pretty much hated that game after about a month. Not got bored of it, HATED it. As much as you do. It was way too easy.

Those guys don't run and gun... they run and die.

I'm your worst nightmare. I run and gun better than a CoD fan, and camp and snipe better than an RO fan. I'll beat you at my game and your game.

I adapt, I overcome.

Why?

Because you don't know what realistic is. RO1 was CoD but slower. They had the same level of realism. RO1 just had different things gimped to CoD, but they still gimped things to artificially protect a certain style of play.

Same song, different singer.

Not any more. Now you win or lose on your own merits, with no game mechanic to protect you from being too slow or too fast. It's up to you to be fast when needed, and slow when needed, and from what I've seen the RO guys can't do that any better than the CoD guys.

Think of it this way, your team's run and gunners attack the other team's camp and snipers, while your team's camp and snipers pick off the other team's run and gunners. It all works out, if you work as a team. As far as I have seen the RO1 fans are no better at teamwork than the CoD fans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do miss in RO2 the teamwork. Just as in the map commissionars house
you just can`t walk away from the spawn because you just get
hit very quickly. Because i am always an assault player i am
depended of the riflemen and sinper.

When there will be good teamwork you just roll the germans from
the map.

But it was also very often in ROost. I have it very often said to play
with more teamwork.

Upvote 0
Yes, too many automatic weapons for sure. It just compounds itself when you can loot the automatic weapons.

There is a thread floating around with a clip of a run and gunner owning up with the MkB. Of course there is page after page of RO fans hitting the roof. That should not be possible they say. The gun is overpowered they say. The sway is too little or the IS delay too short or...

The guy was actually camping a stairwell, and every single person he killed came running blindly and stupidly through the door. Team mate after team mate ran in the door and got killed, but they never stopped coming. Most of them never knew what hit them.

I bet you this run and gunner managed to get between the enemy spawn and the front line, and all those bodies were too busy running to pay any attention to the gunning. THAT is why they died. They had no idea a guy was in there killing their team. They just kept right on running into the gates of hell, oblivious to all around them.

Is that the GAME'S fault?

Here is the thread:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=66585

Upvote 0
Agreed with OP.

I personally hated the game when I tried it, then I kinda liked it when I played more, but then they added the MKB, destroyed performance and made the leveling up working more or less, now I can't even stand the game.

I still play Ostfront from time to time and I'm amazed of how superior it feels, even after so many years. You can say that Graphics in RO2 are better, but taking performance issues into account, texture glitches, pitch black shadows/chameleon characters and weird distracting model swapping, the lower fov (specially with the zoom ability) I'd even go as far as to say that even Ostfront's graphics are still superior, although not as pretty for screenshots.

I no longer want an Ostfront mod for RO2, seriously, there is nothing worth porting from RO2 for me ATM, I'll just keep playing the classic as long as its still populated.

Reactions: Six_Ten
Upvote 0
To describe my feelings very briefly, after playing maybe 10 hours of RO 2:

RO 1: played since the mod and totally hugged me, spending almost each spare minute on it. Often, I didn't go out on friday nights to play RO since there is still saturday night left. No need to watch movies, because there is RO.

RO 2: my graphic card is broken and will only be replaced in 2 weeks. However, I don't care because it could've come worse and there is still more interesting stuff going on.

Upvote 0
It's not so much the OP's complaints are without some merit, and well-put, but really, did he not realize that each complaint has been made - literally - several hundred times in the last 3+ weeks?

I'm really tired of clicking a thread, trying to give an honest read-through to find the original thought, only to be confronted by the same rant again and again.

This game is incredibly fun, despite its faults. And if it isn't for you, I'm sorry you've spent you're hard earned money on it for the current state it's in, but I guarantee that mods will make it more what you want it to be in a short time.

Upvote 0
The thing I will comment on that is realistic ironically is the zoom.

So few understand WHY this is realistic.

Sir, maybe I am blind or disabled, but if I am watching to a building 200 m away from me and focus on that hot chick adverdisement that I can hardly identify, I never experienced artificial binoculars in my eyes. Never happened, will not happen, so I am not buying your story...

Upvote 0
Sir, maybe I am blind or disabled, but if I am watching to a building 200 m away from me and focus on that hot chick adverdisement that I can hardly identify, I never experienced artificial binoculars in my eyes. Never happened, will not happen, so I am not buying your story...
You might want to see an optician because if you can't see things properly at 200m or if you find it easier to see things at 200m in game than out of game.

Upvote 0
Yes, too many automatic weapons for sure. It just compounds itself when you can loot the automatic weapons.

Their are some 19 automatic slots in game for an infantry only map out of 32 slots
In RO1 the typical infantry only map had 6 or 8 out of 16 slots. Though a few maps had 9 to 16 automatic slots (on the Russian side on Lyes Krovy it was possible for the team to have zero bolt actions (12x SMGs, 2x Semis and 2x MGs), the Germans would have 7 bolts on the same map).

So it's not to far off from RO1 levels of automatics.

------------------------------
Come on. I can see properly at 200 m but what I am saying is that the picture is not getting bigger because I am focusing on it...
Then you are not understanding why the zoom is their.

This is a compromise, unzoomed 100m in game looks in the real world like a 150 to 200m object would. To see it like it is in the real world requires the zoom, The reason for the "magical" zoom is due to the fact that zoomed in kills your FOV to like 35 degrees.... So its a toggle, you have a unzoomed out view for maximum FOV for navigating and target acquisition (remember a Human has a FOV of around 150 degrees not the max 75 currently in game) and you can zoom in to have a view of the target as you would in real life at the cost of much of your already limited FOV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0