• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Gun Thread to End all Gun Threads

The Gun Thread to End all Gun Threads

• Total voters

Clowndoe

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2011
Canada
Over the course of the past few weeks, it has been argued whether or not it would be advantageous to add weapons which may or may not have been in the battle of Stalingrad in order to increase variety.

As an argument for variety, there has come about the argument that the majority of people do not want accurate loadouts in favor of variety and balanced. So I, who are on one side of the discussion, and a fellow forumite who is on the other, have concluded that there should be a poll to establish whether or not the majority of people would prefer more guns (MP 41, MP 34, the MG 26, Moisin-Nagant rifle-grenades are just some of the suggestions), or a selection of weapons which would more accurately represent the majority of units fighting within Stalingrad.

It has been agreed between me and the other that should the results of this poll be in overwhelming favor to one side, that the other shall hold his peace.

Notes on the question and answers:

By voting yes, you are agreeing that in at least one circumstance (as part of action-mode or firefight, as a server option, etc) it would be useful or more engrossing to have weapons as described. Further examples of weapons include:

Avs 36
Fedorov Avtomat
Obrez
Vz 33
ZH 29
ZK-383
Steyr rifles
Silent, or bent version of the PPSH

By voting no, you are saying that there is no circumstance in which it would add to the value of the game, or that the game would be better off without the existence of these weapons.

There is no third option, because the intent is to know whether the plethora of suggestions about adding these items are useful. If you vote yes because, for example, it would be fun for action mode, then these discussions are in-fact useful.

As a final clarification, these are the weapons that I do not consider as part of the same discussion: Luger P08, PPD 40, MG 42, M38 carbine, and DT 29.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylle
I don't mind to see other weapons in RO2 as long as the loadout for a map at all times does match with the timeline of that map.

It would be great if TWI did add some more russian and german weapons that were used in WW2. The modders can then select the best history accurate loadout when they make their own custom map.

For instance, an Stg44 in the loadout for a Berlin map would be ok, but I sure do not want to see an Stg44 on a Stalingrad map.

(yes I know I did copy/paste it from my post in an other thread)

Upvote 0
The problem with RO 2 is that it has same loadouts for every map. Something needs to be done to make them or more realistically accurate or not realistical at all and emphasise more on gameplay rather than realism. A good example is Men of war I know it is a strategy game but it doesn't repect all the realistic loadouts and all of that. It tries only to make its best with the gameplay.

Like on Stalingrad maps you can call in Fg 42 squads or you can arm them with panzerfaust. I know that we all want realism but wouldn't it be the same in terms of gameplay to sacrifice some of the realism in order to make it much more fun to play? Many movies do that and are a huge succes. Red orchestra emphasises on realism but would people really make a difference if on the Stalingrad maps the germans could use panzerfausts?

In the early years of the developing of gaming industry there weren't so many ww2 fps games which respected realistically the loadouts and how the soldier would look they concentrated more on gameplay rather than realism and had a very huge succes. Arma 2 is also a realistic simulator and eventough it emphasises on realism that doesn't mean that you have to restrict weapon loadouts because you can make your own game scenarios and maps why wouldn't RO 2 be the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with RO 2 is that it has same loadouts for every map

Learn to be calm and wait. Tripwire has always supported their game for a very long time. Look at the release versions of their previous games like RO or Tripwire. Look how much stuff those games had when they came out and look what they got later. I would be very disappointed if Tripwire would for some reason start to support their game with free and good content in the future. So just sit back and wait until more stuff will be released by TW or by mod teams.

As already said I have a theory that there will be content patches in the future that have certain themes like the battle of kursk (for our tanking friends) and something like the summer offensive where we also see mroe advanced weapons like the MG42 and the G43 to name two examples.

Upvote 0
Red orchestra emphasises on realism but would people really make a difference if on the Stalingrad maps the germans could use panzerfausts?
Yes.
Besides that it would srew up the timeline, it would take out the threat of a t-34 coming rolling down the street directly towards you and in the best case you have an AT-rifle wich you know can't do more than scatch its armor and a couple of AT-grenades wich you can only use if you sneak up on this thing.
ATRs and HHLs are to strong already, but at least require some skill to use, no need to implement a infantry-held frontal tank instakill devise for the germans.

Upvote 0
Maybe it will screw the timeline and all of that but I bet people wouldn't really care if they have fun playing with them. And also with the weapons added map modders can mod the maps for realistically accurate loadouts. We all think that if we add weapons without respecting the timeline will screw up the game. But doesn't every game or movie on the market modify the realistic facts to make it more fun and proves to be succesful in the end. Why wouldn't Ro 2 do it?

Upvote 0
But doesn't every game or movie on the market modify the realistic facts to make it more fun and proves to be succesful in the end. Why wouldn't Ro 2 do it?
As i told you before,
Thats one reason why RO has to stick to it [historical accuracy] or it will sink between all the other weaponspamming FPS.
RO isn't a game big enough to rival with any of the big ones and it will never be.
It has to keep its profile, something that makes it different from the big bunch of way bigger shooters with a bigger fanbase, more money and bigger devteams.
Thats what I love RO for, it is something different.
I do not want to play Enemy at the gates *cough*CoD*cough*, i do not want to play Medal of Honor and not Company of Heroes if i want to play a realism-based game.
If i play a realistic game in a Stalingrad szenario i want to feel Stalingrad, and that means i want to handle the same weapon limitations as the soldiers in the real battle had to, and not some semi-realistic what-if-scenario wich took place in the same location but several years later.

Upvote 0
The problem with RO 2 is that it has same loadouts for every map. Something needs to be done to make them or more realistically accurate or not realistical at all and emphasise more on gameplay rather than realism. A good example is Men of war I know it is a strategy game but it doesn't repect all the realistic loadouts and all of that. It tries only to make its best with the gameplay.

Like on Stalingrad maps you can call in Fg 42 squads or you can arm them with panzerfaust. I know that we all want realism but wouldn't it be the same in terms of gameplay to sacrifice some of the realism in order to make it much more fun to play? Many movies do that and are a huge succes. Red orchestra emphasises on realism but would people really make a difference if on the Stalingrad maps the germans could use panzerfausts?

In the early years of the developing of gaming industry there weren't so many ww2 fps games which respected realistically the loadouts and how the soldier would look they concentrated more on gameplay rather than realism and had a very huge succes. Arma 2 is also a realistic simulator and eventough it emphasises on realism that doesn't mean that you have to restrict weapon loadouts because you can make your own game scenarios and maps why wouldn't RO 2 be the same.
it hardly seems fair for you to be campaigning for votes in this thread. clowndoe isn't.:eek:

Upvote 0