• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Game's Name

Bluehawk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2006
Hamilton, ON
I've wondered for quite some time why the mod/game is named Red Orchestra.

I looked it up once upon a time and it was a phrase coined by the Gestapo to refer to a variety of Communist and anti-Hitler resistance groups in Germany and Eastern Europe with ties to the USSR and US. The Resistance group's radios were 'music boxes' thus making the entire network a 'orchestra' of sorts.

Obviously the Communist and/or anti-Nazi ideology ties in with the Eastern Front but the mod doesn't involve underground resistance groups or the Gestapo or anything like that so it seems inappropriate.

Is there a second meaning that I'm missing or is it named after the Red Army Orchestra? (for some reason lol)

Felix Ostheim said:
IIRC it used to be called 'The Third Reich' ? Maybe I'm wrong, but after the change it's stayed as Red Orchestra for a long time and despite the fact I'm not real fond of the name it is unlikley to change. Perhaps calling it Ostfront in the first place would have been better but it doesn't matter now :D
i like Red Orchestra, sounds pretty bad ass to me:cool: plus its unique, and it sticks

Upvote 0