• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Answer For Commando

Dafe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
How powerful would it be? Seems like it would take away the role of the class and/or create perk unbalance.

I think of it like this. Would a team of all (insert perk)s survive on harder than hard?

In order to promote diversity and role-playing, I don't think that any perk should pass this test. However, this is merely the humble opinion of a newbie (KF life = 1.5 weeks)

Upvote 0
How powerful would it be? Seems like it would take away the role of the class and/or create perk unbalance.

I think of it like this. Would a team of all (insert perk)s survive on harder than hard?

In order to promote diversity and role-playing, I don't think that any perk should pass this test. However, this is merely the humble opinion of a newbie (KF life = 1.5 weeks)

It's to be very powerful, but it is not a belt-fed monster, it cannot be ironsighted, it cannot be fired/deployed whilst running (only walking), due to its firing method it is not reliable for longer ranges at all, and its fire rate which is slower than the AK will make it so that while it's really powerful and rips into the small zeds as a commando would, it cannot hope to take on the big zeds due to not being able to fire fast enough before its user is killed, and the mando may not be able to carry another assault rifle with it, and will have to settle with a Handcannon or smaller.

That's the basic idea pulled out of my old thread anyway.

Just to clarify, when holding the weapon, the player can run, but not shoot. Upon pressing the ironsight key, the weapon is "deployed" in a hipshooting position like the one shown in the video, and the player can move and shoot-n-move in walking speed only. It has 40 rounds base, 50 rounds on lv6. The low fire rate makes these magazines last much longer. There's a sizable number of spare magazines, but not loads like with the assault rifles.

It is also to be quite stable when firing, but its recoil is mostly made of side-to-side juddering which makes it so that while sustained fire in shorter ranges is plenty doable, it's virtually impossible in long ranges so the Bren user has no hopes of doing stuff such as kiting or whittling down the zed's health before it can reach him.

So it keeps the commando within its usual crowd control role.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's to be very powerful, but it is not a belt-fed monster, it cannot be ironsighted, it cannot be fired/deployed whilst running (only walking), due to its firing method it is not reliable for longer ranges at all, and its fire rate which is slower than the AK will make it so that while it's really powerful and rips into the small zeds as a commando would, it cannot hope to take on the big zeds due to not being able to fire fast enough before its user is killed, and the mando may not be able to carry another assault rifle with it, and will have to settle with a Handcannon or smaller.

That's the basic idea pulled out of my old thread anyway.

Just to clarify, when holding the weapon, the player can run, but not shoot. Upon pressing the ironsight key, the weapon is "deployed" in a hipshooting position like the one shown in the video, and the player can move and shoot-n-move in walking speed only. It has 40 rounds base, 50 rounds on lv6. The low fire rate makes these magazines last much longer. There's a sizable number of spare magazines, but not loads like with the assault rifles.

It is also to be quite stable when firing, but its recoil is mostly made of side-to-side juddering which makes it so that while sustained fire in shorter ranges is plenty doable, it's virtually impossible in long ranges so the Bren user has no hopes of doing stuff such as kiting or whittling down the zed's health before it can reach him.

So it keeps the commando within its usual crowd control role.

How about adding weapon jam? Higher the mando level less chance the weapon will jam

Upvote 0

Most high powered machine guns do not have the greatest accuracy. So recoil would be going against anyone thinking they can just unload a bunch of bullets directly into a crowd. With the clip size maybe ranging from 60-80 bullets per clip, and only say, 6-8 clips max, with the extra weight it would give the player a weapon that if not used correctly, won't be helpful to the team.

Balance is the key. Even though you have huge clips with bullets that do on a par or better with AK47 damage, you still have a lot going against you if you just plan to hold down the trigger, or want to run with this in hands. Balance, where the odds are against you using this weapon unless you take some time and learn how to use it effectively.

Upvote 0
Wonder why TWI didnt change the FAL to be an SLR (L1A1) considering its the British version of it, wouldnt really of been Commando's though since its Semi-Auto

It could be a L2A1 LMG especially considering the magazines hold 25 rounds (but the size of the mags on the model don't match that of a 30rounder magazine, unfortunately)

(this also applies to the MP7 but oh well)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So recoil would be going against anyone thinking they can just unload a bunch of bullets directly into a crowd.

It's been done to death that LMGs being given huge recoil is a terrible balancing point.

It simply makes the gun almost useless, and it doesn't even see use in gameplay like it was actually an LMG. More like a burst-fire rifle with a massive magazine, high cost, and high weight, making it terrible. We may as well just get a burst rifle.

You're right that LMGs aren't typically accurate, and that will be the case with Bren. However, recoil isn't the right way to go about it. The "recoil" would be some side-to-side wiggling that makes sustaining accurate fire at range next to impossible (making it a BP/M4/AK/FAL/SCAR thing), with the lack of ironsighting making it even harder.

However, sacrificing mobility/range/fire rate does sound like it'd work. Hell, the most part of that wasn't even brought up by me in that old thread.

Making it so that mando can't sustain fire on a crowd is completely against the perk, and turns it into more of a close range sharpie. Mando is for sustained DPS, not spiking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's been done to death that LMGs being given huge recoil is a terrible balancing point.

It simply makes the gun almost useless, and it doesn't even see use in gameplay like it was actually an LMG. More like a burst-fire rifle with a massive magazine, high cost, and high weight, making it terrible. We may as well just get a burst rifle.

You're right that LMGs aren't typically accurate, and that will be the case with Bren. However, recoil isn't the right way to go about it. The "recoil" would be some side-to-side wiggling that makes sustaining fire at range next to impossible, with the lack of ironsighting making it even harder.

However, sacrificing mobility/range/fire rate does sound like it'd work. Hell, the most part of that wasn't even brought up by me in that old thread.

Making it so that mando can't sustain fire on a crowd is completely against the perk, and turns it into more of a close range sharpie. Mando is for sustained DPS, not spiking.

No, go away. If you want a high-power hitter, go buy a SCAR.

Upvote 0