• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Team Stack version 1.1: Rising Storm Edition

Chosen_1

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2012
Just as I feared, the Axis side on RS is going the way of Axis in HoS. I played an entire map rotation yesterday as Allies, not winning a single map (yes, that includes Saipan and Peleliu). I regularly got the highest score in the game or on the team, but I still couldn't carry my team to victory. Face it: most noobs like the idea of playing as Americans (**** Yeah!?). All the experienced players want the "challenge" of playing japs.

Discuss.

You mean Axis were winning maps like Saipan and Peleilieu?? Wow! Does this mean that Axis in RS win ALL the maps now??

I can see how the RS axis stacking would happen, though, it's like you say, people want a more challenging game, join Axis and steamroll. I tend to join Axis because I feel they have less chance of winning, and I would say a new player would enjoy the chance to jump into an American avatar and take an automatic weapon, hooah!

I havent played RS for a couple of weeks now, it doesnt draw my attention like HoS because it seems to be even more predictable in who wins/loses. I will have to give it another try tonight and see...

Upvote 0
Hmm could this be true? I played a few hours of RS tonight on a popular full server.

IwoJima: Axis 2, Allies 0
Pelelieu: Axis 2, Allies 0
Saipan: Axis 1, Allies 1 (strangely, round 1 axis tickets ran out, allies still had about 175 left on the last cap F, while round 2 ended with axis going to 0 firdt, closely followed by allies, at F again, just a pretty large difference of tickets).

Axis did have the same (pretty good) TL all the way through, but some SLs left a lot to be desired, so it wasnt all just the Officers doing the good stuff.

Upvote 0
I've almost exclusively played IJA since launch, mainly because in the early days the auto-join button sent me there every time. It doesn't seem to be so much of a stack nowadays though, I guess a lot more people are comfortable with playing IJA and the challenge it offers.

I haven't noticed IJA winning a whole lot more than USM but I guess you are right to an extent, there are probably more nubs gravitating toward USM and more vets gravitating toward IJA. The server I mainly play has Classic weapon loadout, so there are far fewer Type 100's and the USM firepower advantage is far more distinct, which in turn probably keeps it feeling reasonably balanced.

Upvote 0
I have not noticed the "Japanese win too much" problem yet.

Perhaps it is a real phenomenon. If it is real, you would be the second person after Rattler (who by his own admission exclusively plays allies on RS for "ideological reasons") to notice it.

I still think playing Americans is easy mode. I always join the team with the least players and 7 times out of 10, that's the Japanese.

Upvote 0
Well I play US exclusively due to idealogical reasons as well (I can't even being to comprehend how anyone who had relatives in the Pacific Theatre could even think about playing the Japs if they knew about all the atrocities they committed), and the US is definitely not "easy mode". We have to contend with knee-mortars, banzai charges, booby traps, well-camoflagued enemies, and on a few maps, the Japs get Arty & Naval Barrage whilst we only get mortars.

I have noticed the trend that the experienced players tend to go Axis - although I suspect that since I'm playing on Australian servers, most Aussies just play Axis more out of anti-American sentiment than anything else.

Upvote 0
...I can't even being to comprehend how anyone who had relatives in the Pacific Theatre could even think about playing the Japs if they knew about all the atrocities they committed...
You are being stupid. Its a game. Fair play and sportsmanship (also known as BALANCING THE TEAMS) trump all else.

"Ideology" has no place in a god damn video game. In the war, no one was completely innocent of war crimes, least of all the allies.

I recommend that you keep this crap out of the game and play fair (ie join the team with the least players no matter what).

Btw- I know about the Japanese atrocities against Australian troops, etc. Guess what? They don't factor into my decision when I buy a Sony TV. Am I to take it that you own no Japanese products because you haven't been able to get past the Second World War?

Get real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are being stupid. Its a game. Fair play and sportsmanship (also known as BALANCING THE TEAMS) trump all else.

"Ideology" has no place in a god damn video game. In the war, no one was completely innocent of war crimes, least of all the allies.

I recommend that you keep this crap out of the game and play fair (ie join the team with the least players no matter what).

Btw- I know about the Japanese atrocities against Australian troops, etc. Guess what? They don't factor into my decision when I buy a Sony TV. Am I to take it that you own no Japanese products because you haven't been able to get past the Second World War?

Get real.

Agreed. Not to mention the Australians were just as brutal to captured IJA soldiers. Americans too. War is hell man, and holding a grudge that is 70 years old is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Well I play US exclusively due to idealogical reasons as well (I can't even being to comprehend how anyone who had relatives in the Pacific Theatre could even think about playing the Japs if they knew about all the atrocities they committed)

Woah. That's like saying that no other faction in the war (or at least in the game) commited any atrocities. I myself prefer playing Japanese because I like bolt actions, and I find most of the American weapons to be over use and over portrayed in so many games. It's the same reason why I prefer playing for the Allies in RO2; I've used German weapons in nearly every single WW2 game out there. I'll play all sides in the game, but I have the sides that I prefer due to being more "unique", or just enjoying the feel of the weapons in game more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The personal insults are really not necessary. And no Australian or US soldiers ever cannibalised captured Japanese soldiers, nor were they responsible for any death marches or POW beheadings. I'll play Germans because apart from the SS, the average German soldier was just trying to survive the war. The Japanese were a whole different story. I'm not holding a grudge; I have nothing against modern day Japan and donated money for the tsunami relief. I have even tried playing IJA in RS but just felt overwhelmingly guilty, like I was basically spitting on a war grave.

Upvote 0
I have not noticed the "Japanese win too much" problem yet.

I always join the team with the least players and 7 times out of 10, that's the Japanese.

That is my experience too. I think both teams win or loose relatively equal.

But I nearly everytime at the start of a map I end up playing IJA because so many players join the Allies. I have nothing against playing Axis or Allies, I like both in RS and RO, so, in my opinion, it is very stupid to join a team for ideological reasons and even more to play the Germans because the average soldier tried to survive the war and the average Japanese soldier did not??? And the german soldiers didn't commit any war crimes? Very biased opinion. At least it's just a game.

Upvote 0
The personal insults are really not necessary. And no Australian or US soldiers ever cannibalised captured Japanese soldiers, nor were they responsible for any death marches or POW beheadings. I'll play Germans because apart from the SS, the average German soldier was just trying to survive the war. The Japanese were a whole different story. I'm not holding a grudge; I have nothing against modern day Japan and donated money for the tsunami relief. I have even tried playing IJA in RS but just felt overwhelmingly guilty, like I was basically spitting on a war grave.

I didn't see any personal insults. In any case, you can do whatever you want, I'm just pointing out that all sides the Pacific refused to take prisoners, so accusing just one side of brutality is really biased. If you were Chinese or Korean I'd understand a bit more, but atrocities have always been committed against military personnel, and singling out the Japanese is, like the other guy said, silly.

Upvote 0
I have almost exclusively played on the Japanese since the game came out simply because I find their play-style more interesting. That and I enjoy using the Type 38 and Type 99 bolt actions far more than the M1 Garand or Springfield. That and I'm also a fledgling Pacific War historian (graduate school) who has more interest in the Japanese side than the Allied. Though I tend to focus on the naval stuff (my thesis will most likely be on the Indian Ocean Raid). Anyway, I haven't really noticed any kind of consistent team-stacking though, I still lose quite often. The Americans are extremely tough to beat if their team is even semi-competent.

Upvote 0