• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tanking tips

DAT

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006
Fort Sill, OK
With the influx of the new players here are some quick tips for tanking:

1. Your main role is infantry support, let me say again your main role is infantry support. There are only a few tank maps on here. With that said yes you will have to deal with enemy tanks but switch focus back to suppressing or destroying enemy strongpoints after enemy armor is down.

2. HE and I will say again HE. Use it like it is going out of style. Constant fire in known or suspected enemy positions. Dont wait for actual targets. if you suspect that enemy is in that radio room, throw a shell in there. Communicate with your team and let them know when and where you are firing and be prepared to lift fire when they are close. You should run out of HE. Keep the fire up as long as possible.

3. Coax, use it in conjuction with the main gun. Keep that MG hot and firing at suspected positions. Harder with the T-34 than the MK4 due to reload times.

4. If you hear enemy voices near by, hit reverse, take action, move. If no friendlies nearby depress gun all the way down and fire HE. The blast radius may kill or make the enemy think twice about assaulting you.

5. Keep your head on a swivel, look for clues, comms with team. Use that periscope on the T-34. See a target? synch the main gun to the periscope and blast away.

One other tip:

6. Put your HE shells on objects that will maximize the blast radius. Put that shell on a corner to take out soldiers on either side.

7. Enemy hiding behind cover or under cover? no problem clip a round of HE on an object above them if you can, good bye enemy soldier(s). hiding behind something, clip the ground near them, blast radius will rattle them if not kill them.

Upvote 0
8. Angling your tank is very effective in tank vs tank combat, espeiacially if you have T-34. Always try to have your targets on hour 11:00-11:15 and 12:45 - 13:00. A lot of enemy's projectiles will not penetrate your armour, but remember, don't expose your side armor too much. In Panzer IV this tactics is less useful because it has thinner, nonsloped sides, but with a little practise... :D

Upvote 0
See a target? synch the main gun to the periscope and blast away.

So the way I go into the periscope is to scroll up to bring your drivers perspective back so you can see the sight, I then right click on it, putting me into periscope mode, which is the same sight only it can swivel extremely fast, left clicking then locks your vision as the turret goes to sync up. Is there a simpler way?

Upvote 0
8. Angling your tank is very effective in tank vs tank combat, espeiacially if you have T-34. Always try to have your targets on hour 11:00-11:15 and 12:45 - 13:00. A lot of enemy's projectiles will not penetrate your armour, but remember, don't expose your side armor too much. In Panzer IV this tactics is less useful because it has thinner, nonsloped sides, but with a little practise... :D

That's a good point. Tank angling was more effective in vanilla RO1, as the turret angle didn't matter, just the hull - even on turret hits.

With RO2's separate per polygon / per component angling, I'd suggest while reloading, angle the turret / gun away from a tank firing at you, and move back when ready to fire. This is really a good idea if they're trying to hit your turret.

Also best to use the Periscope view in the T-34 if doing this, as you can "pre-aim" and click LMB to align the gun to your periscope cross-hair.

Also, here's an old thread of more tank suggestions.

Here's a link to a post with the tank hit box locations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Stay behind your troops and provide support. Staying behind your troops makes it difficult for AT's and Engineers to get at you.

- Relocate often, even if it means travelling to the other side of the map. Make it difficult for the enemy to pin you down. Relocating also helps reduce the chances of you getting arty on your head.

- When you take damage and blow up the enemy tank, head to the nearest ammo cache / spawn to fix your tank, reload your Tank AI, ammo, etc. Even if you have to travel a while to get to it, it is still faster than waiting in spawn from being blown up. You also can confuse the hell out of the enemy tank / AT guys when they try and shoot you and you're back to full health. Usually by the time you returned to the ammo cache and started to make your way back to where you were, the enemy tank is just starting to spawn.... allowing you to be on equal footing again, but still at a slight advantage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0