• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supression(yes I know it's been posted before)

kapulA

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
Croatia
So yeah.
I've just played FH2 yesterday (Forgotten Hope 2, for anyone that not might be in the know) and it left me in awe the first time an MG or any weapon in general shot at me. They make the screen blur out and if it's a single shot it doesn't last very long, I'd say 2 seconds or so and you hear your heart beating. The effect varies with different weapons so an artillery explosion or a grenade causes much more. Another thing that amazed me was the ringing in the ears sound and blur when I was near a friendly 50 mm PaK 38 that was firing.
Also,as Dyslexci (sorry if I got the name wrong :eek: ) suggested before, RO could use bullet cracks when bullets whizz past you. The FH2 implemented that and it works excellent.
So to summarize, the FH2 supression system should really be copied into RO, if not RO:Ost then the new project.

Last edited:
So yeah.
I've just played FH2 yesterday (Forgotten Hope 2, for anyone that not might be in the know) and it left me in awe the first time an MG or any weapon in general shot at me. They make the screen blur out and if it's a single shot it doesn't last very long, I'd say 2 seconds or so and you hear your heart beating. The effect varies with different weapons so an artillery explosion or a grenade causes much more. Another thing that amazed me was the ringing in the ears sound and blur when I was near a friendly 50 mm PaK 38 that was firing.
Also,as Dyslexci (sorry if I got the name wrong :eek: ) suggested before, RO could use bullet cracks when bullets whizz past you. The FH2 implemented that and it works excellent.
So to summarize, the FH2 supression system should really be copied into RO, if not RO:Ost then the new project.
Bad kapcakes!

It's suppression enough as it is!

Upvote 0
Well, we will probably never be close to simulating suppression effects in any game as they would appear in a real battle, but, in my layman opinion, the suppression system in FH2 does a pretty good job of making people 'feel' like they would if shells, grenades or gunfire were heading their way.

Upvote 0
The FH2 suppression lasts for 5 seconds for a single shot. WAY too long, if you ask me. RO's suppression system with the blur effect is just about right. They might bump up the intensity slightly, but it should go away in, like, 0.5 seconds.

Really, though, what RO needs for MGers to be more useful is NO MORE TRACERS.

Upvote 0
I think that the effect in FH2 increases with the number of bullets fired at you, so if someone fires a single rifle bullet above your head, you hear the crack and the screen goes blurry a bit, simulating the instantaneous fear you'd feel at that moment and it returns to normal pretty quickly.
With MGs it's a bit different though, since you'd probably me more afraid to peek out of cover if someone was firing bursts or full auto at your position or if grenades were exploding around you.

Of course, this depends on the individual and you cannot generalize it for every person on the field of battle, but I think that the effect in FH2 does the job pretty well.

And yeah, without the bright LAZER tracers we have at the moment, the MGs would be a lot more deadly, as displayed in Kriegstadt. And, RO's uniform colors allow you to spot targets at a distance without too much trouble so the MG-ers have a harder time remaining undetected.

Upvote 0
To satisfy the hard-core player: hard-code blur
To enable the low-end user to play: make it optional

Which business choice would you make if sales depended on it?
I personally wish it was hard-coded as it gives the MG a purpose on many maps: Suppression, not racking up kills. But when I joined the beta team after the first few rounds on Konigsplatz, I turned off blur because my system at the time needed all the help it could get.

Then you have the argument of "Why should I be penalized by using blur when the majority of players will not because it creates an imbalance?".

There is the real issue. ^

Upvote 0
To satisfy the hard-core player: hard-code blur
To enable the low-end user to play: make it optional

Which business choice would you make if sales depended on it?
I personally wish it was hard-coded as it gives the MG a purpose on many maps: Suppression, not racking up kills. But when I joined the beta team after the first few rounds on Konigsplatz, I turned off blur because my system at the time needed all the help it could get.

Then you have the argument of "Why should I be penalized by using blur when the majority of players will not because it creates an imbalance?".

There is the real issue. ^

Why not make it a server option like in cod4 where you have normal mode and hardcore mode. =\. Theres not always a need for every server to be exactly the same multiple game modes, and realism options are a good thing built in mutators etc. A lot of people got different tastes. If its set by the server all players on the server must have the same things and people play what they want because they pick the server to play on.

Some people like stats, some people like campaigns, some people want scores to be listed in this way others in that way. If players get the options to tweak things, instead of making a default gamemode that everybody must follow why not make some adjustments. Where people can select themselves what the find find the most fun to play :\.

And for people that disable blur there is a darkening of the screen which is quite equal to no blur. (although there used to be a bug that when you enabled blur while on direct3d nog 9x you would get no blur and no blackening of the screen but that was fixed in the first patch)

Upvote 0