• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suddenly getting disconnect every 20 seconds

slyder73

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2006
Vancouver
Tried posting this in an already active thread but the thread seems to have died and no answer or solution yet.

I've been playing Red Orchestra since it came out, through 3 different computer systems, no problems. I currently play Darkest Hour no problems.
Ever since last weekend or so whenever the last Steam update was I have been getting this disconnect from any Red Orchestra server after about 20 to 30 seconds of play. I load no problem and the 20 seconds no problem then disconnect with the screen blacking and the message "Connection Lost".

I have no issues with Darkest Hour or any of the games I play on Steam currently.

Running a Linksys WTR54G router with Tomato installed in it.
-Asus P6T motherboard, 6 gigs ddr3 RAM, i7 and nVidia GTX260 graphics card.

Anyone else getting connection issues just started recently? Does anyone with more knowledge than me (very little to none on router stuff) how to fix it?

Thanks

Still on top, but bump anyway. I've searched and tried every solution I could find in different threads of similar issues. (restarting router, opening ports, DMZ, UPnP suggestions).
Nothing has worked. Still getting disconnected from RO every 20 seconds. Darkest Hour is still working fine. RO worked for about 4 years for me. Steam update a couple weeks ago and now it's changed.

Anyone else having this issue?

Upvote 0
Verified game files? Total RO reinstall?

Have verified game files, ok. Have not yet done full reinstall, will have to do that next I suppose.

I'm noticing too, that besides getting disconnected after 20 seconds of play, that if I'm downloading a map before loading, the download no longer proceeds smoothly, but in "chunks" it seems. The percent goes superfast for a couple percent, then at a slower speed, then fast, then slow. This happens on all servers where I download when joining. It also only goes on for about 20 seconds or so then I get the error, "An unknown Steam error has prevented you from joining". Deleting the clientregistry.blob for this doesn't help. So whether in game or loading a map, after 20 seconds I'm being kicked from a server or from loadup.

(Also, just tested this on Darkest Hour. No problem there when joining a server with a download first, my download speed is my usual fast speed and proceeds continuously and smoothly. The issues are strictly with Red Orchestra)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What about anti-virus or firewall updates? If you've ever had to add Steam or RedOrchestra.exe to your firewall exception list, you might try deleting the old exception and re-adding the new .exe's.

Have you tried starting the game up in windowed mode just to see if something is popping up on the screen that you can't see when in full screen mode?

Just tossing out ideas.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's not the firewall.
Another thread suggested forwarding ports 27010 and 27011, which I did. That seems to have helped.
I've been able to stay on for several minutes before getting disconnected from some servers and once even about ten minutes before I exited myself.
It still seems kind of random and disconnects more than it stays but I get several minutes at least in now. This is still a problem however, as I'd like to be able to play an entire round and have my score stay.

Upvote 0
Any chance at all of borrowing a different router, just for trying it?

I could just buy a new one but does it make sense that it is the router causing this problem ONLY with Red Orchestra, after 4 years of running fine and then a Steam update? None of my other Steam games have issues and no other connectivity issues with any other devices in the home.

Upvote 0
Have you tried ALL of these fixes?

Error: RO Will freeze on connect - For Firewall/Router users
Fix: Make sure the following ports are open on your firewall/router
7757 UDP/IP (Game Port)
7758 UDP/IP (Query Port)
7767 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
28902 TCP/IP (Allows your Server to Connect to the Master Server Browser)
8075 TCP/IP (Port set via ListenPort that your WebAdmin will run on)
20610 UDP/IP (Steam Port)

Since the problem seems to be related to a Steam update, this could be the most relevant fix.

Error: RO hangs on connect to server
Fix:
1) In your steam directory find the steam.dll file
2) Make a copy of it
3) Navigate to common/redorchestra/system folder
4) Replace the steam.dll file there with the one you have copied.

Error: Unknown steam error Message displayed
Red Orchestra is having trouble using a steam service
Fix1:
1) Stop Redorchestra
2) Stop Steam
3) Find the clientregistry.blob file
4) Delete it
5) Restart Steam

Fix2:
1) Go to steam
2) Go to file
3) Select Change User (this will log you out)
4) Log back in

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have now tried ALL of those, and forwarded all ports. However, I've also removed the router and connected the internet directly to my modem and I still get the same disconnection issues after 20 to 30 seconds of gameplay. The router is likely not the problem but something else.

At a complete loss and have tried the suggested fixes through Steam support as well. RO is an exception on my firewall, has been forever.

Any other ideas anyone? This is incredibly frustrating.

Upvote 0
You say RO has been an exception on your firewall forever....
Remember though, if the .exe changes for any reason, your firewall will reject it.
Thus my suggestion to delete the current exception of Steam.exe and Redorchestra.exe from your firewall's exceptions list and re-add them. Won't take but a second or two to try (if you haven't already).

Sometimes, too, the firewall data becomes fubar and removing re-adding clears that up.

Upvote 0
My modem is a motorolla provided by Shaw Cable, my ISP.

Still no luck if anyone has any suggestions.
My support question to Steam support got me nothing. They suggested I verify game cache and try again. As if I didn't try that a few times the first days. They then suggested if that doesn't work to come to the Tripwire forums as they are the service provider for Red Orchestra.
Useless help there from them, of course I'm looking for help here.

And I'm finding nothing that works here so far. Anything else come to mind?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have now tried ALL of those, and forwarded all ports. However, I've also removed the router and connected the internet directly to my modem and I still get the same disconnection issues after 20 to 30 seconds of gameplay. The router is likely not the problem but something else.

At a complete loss and have tried the suggested fixes through Steam support as well. RO is an exception on my firewall, has been forever.

Any other ideas anyone? This is incredibly frustrating.

This may sound strange but.....

Tell Steam to make the icon for your game. (Goto libraries, right click and use that prompt to make the icon.) It will place an icon on your desktop.

Use that icon to boot the game and tell us what happens. :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This may sound strange but.....

Tell Steam to make the icon for your game. (Goto libraries, right click and use that prompt to make the icon.) It will place an icon on your desktop.

Use that icon to boot the game and tell us what happens. :IS2:

OK, so I've done this, replacing my old desktop icon with a newly made Steam one. For the moment, on a quick test, I was able to fully download a large set of textrues and a map and play for about 3 or 4 minutes without losing connection.

I'll have to try it later when I have more time, but if this does happen to have been the solution, why on earth would this work???? What happened when I created a new icon and why would that have anything to do with connection issues after starting the game??

And if it does continue to work, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit* I've been able to play last night for a while, no disconnects, smooth downloads of content. Thanks for the suggestion. It seems ridiculously simple to have been the problem....I'd still like to know WHY it worked?

Last edited:
Upvote 0