• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stutters

It might be useful to check out the "To increase load times:confused:" thread.

It might help to change some settings to False/True or whatever.

If you have a few items running in the background + RO 1 go of ram is a bit close to the edge !

Might help might not !

EDIT : means Decrease !!!

Yeah, e read that before, tryed some stuff, nothing happened yet. Well thx for the help, I'll keep looking for more clues and solutions.

Upvote 0
Stutter is sound based?

Stutter is sound based?

i have the same stutter problem, but i figured out it was related to audio and not video. if i play RO with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro external soundcard, i get the stutter. if use my internal SBLive card instead, i don't get any stuttering. and if i disable both cards, i don't get stuttering either.

i recommend trying to play without sound to see if the stuttering persists. if not, then we know it's an audio hardware and/or audio driver issue and maybe somehow find a solution?

Upvote 0
Stutter problem too

Stutter problem too

Hi,

I'm glad it's not just me. I am running a Athlon 64 3200+ with a 6800GT ultra with 2GB of PC3200 RAM and XP SP2. I have been using this PC for about 18 months now and RO has been running fine. It's only been in the last few weeks that the FPS rates can drop to Powerpoint speeds. Danzig especially can drop to 4 FPS! though all maps can display this effect. When running some tests in an empty room with another player. the drop occured whem the other player entered the field of view and I experienced huge fps drop. I have done all the stuff mentioned even down to reformatting and reloading XP, defragging everything fresh driver installs and different including the latest and all the other tipd on here, none make any difference. The only clue I can offer is that when the problem occurs I still had plenty of RAM left, there were no disc accesses going on and RO was peaked at 100% CPU use.

Upvote 0
Stuttering

Stuttering

I know that drivers is a convenient peg to hang these problems on but I'm not convinced. I have tried multiple drivers, going back over the last 18 months as well as screen resolutions and it makes no difference. I tried Danzig again today. I was in a room overlooking Langermarkt with a rifle. When I ducked down to reload (just seeing the room's wall) I had 55+ fps. Coming up to fire it dropped to 6 fps and when smoke went off it seemed to get worse. I have a suspicion that something was done in the major summer update that has caused these problems. I can dial out all quality enhancements and my fps get's much faster but I still have a very large drop in the same circumstances and proportionally it's the same drop as with higher detail/resolutions. Concentrating on drivers may well be pointing us in the wrong direction. RO and it's graphics handling should be scrutinised just in case.

Upvote 0
TC55 you have fps probs rather than stutters? Remember all the graphics settings in options were reset in the last update, so check them if you haven't yet. Turn off HDR, change Character Detail, Texture Detail to Lowest etc. And turn Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering to None. You might need to click Show Advanced Options in Display to change them.

Upvote 0
Stuttering

Stuttering

Hi,

Yes I have tried changing all the settings, including Direct X, filtering, screen res, etc. I have also tried several different versions of Nvidia drivers (with clean install) going back to when I built the PC some 18 months ago . It's wierd, I have never had any display problem even going back to the good old beta days. I will keep on trying things but I am rapidly running out of things to try. I work on PC's as my job and I have to say that after everything I have tried it points more and more to RO itself OR interaction with some mutator, texture, anti-cheat or other stuff that keeps downloading when you connect to servers. I am very suspicious of some of these add-ons that server admins load.

TC

Upvote 0
Stuttering

Stuttering

Sorry, forget the addons comment. I forgot that as one of my tests. I ghost'd my machine re-formatted and reloaded XP with only video drivers and Steam/RO and still had the problem. Interestingly, I loaded Vista and whilst the frame rate was 50% of what you'd expect on XP I didn't appear to get the huge slowdons, but I'd have to do a lot more testing to say that definitively

Upvote 0
Stuttering - more thoughts

Stuttering - more thoughts

Hi Melipone,

Interesting point re stuttering and FPS. That prompted me to look back through the posts and I think we may be talking about the same thing. I used the FPS measurement as it gives me a clearer measurement of what I can see on the screen as, it seems, other posters on this thread have. For me the problems seems to have occured with the update that improved the smoke from grenades, whichever one that was. When the problem occurs I lose data to the frames and sometimes lose frames altogether. I have done some more testing this morning. Danzig is the worse though it can be be very bad on the new Arad maps that have real forests. When I had a bad occurrence this morning I checked with Teakinfo and CPU usage was only 60%. With the last patch was there anything which increased the amount of visual data which needs to be crunched, larger distances on the battlefield perhaps or has the code been optimised for Dual Core, just guessing here. I will keep on experimenting and inform you of anything of find that may be of use. I think though, after re-reading the posts, that poor FPS is a symptom of stutterign and may well have the same root cause

Upvote 0
I get stutters even if I have maximum fps - no dip in the fps counter but the game is very stuttery/jerky in certain areas..its like the HD is being accessed all the time rather than just the frame rate going low. Thats with the 8800 anyway. Sounds to me like you have an FPS issue rather than a stutter because you say the FPS counter goes right down in certain areas, whereas with me I can be on maximum FPS (on fraps and ingame fps counter), but very jerky, stuttery. Could just be a different type of stutter though I suppose.

Anyway if you have a dual core amd have you got the Dual Core Optimizer..can't really think of much more other than checking your CPU/RAM etc is at the speed it should be (not downclocked), check your GPU is running at the right speed (8xPCI-E or whatever) and at the right clock speeds. Also double check Character Detail is as low as possible (check when in a map to be sure its saved), because you say it was when a character entered the room the FPS dropped. Also make sure the nvidia settings aren't forcing AA/AF etc..and is it only RO that has this problem? Tried running a benchmark program like 3dmark?

Upvote 0
I have installed my XFX 8800 GTS last week, thats when the stuttering started.
I see people claiming its the unreal engine, maybe it is but it also occures on some other games like DiRT. BF2 + Lost Planet are the only games that run smooth @ the moment. Games that were running smoothly with my previous card: 7800GTX are now stuttering instead. I've did some googling and I've found other people with 8800'S having this problem also.
My system specs are:

AMD Athlon X2 4600+
3GB Corsair DDR2
XFX8800GTS 320MB 580XXX
Antec Truepower Trio 580Watt PSU

I believe it has to do something with the Nvidia drivers,
I hope to see a new driver soon wich gets rid of the stuttering problems on various games. Nevertheless its still a big dissapointment for me. If you buy a newer, better vga card you expect to play games smoother with better graphics....

Upvote 0
Has anybody found out whats wrong with the game?

I had this stutter problem since the update, never before. Even with a better graphics card.
Frames are 40-70 sometimes lower or highter depending on the environment, but the weird thing is. It doesn't run fluent at all. I'm having trouble aiming, it seems like i skip some pixels, it's like having a false mouse driver, but its all the same stuff i had before i reinstalled XP.

Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2 x 1 GB Kinsgton DDR 400 Dual Channel
XfX 8800 GTS 640MB DDR3 ( before it killed itself )
XfX 8800 GTS XXX 640 MB DDR3 ( as a replacement ) NVidia 162.18

Windows is a clean install, as well as any software. I killed the HDD so i really can be sure to have a complete new OS with all required updates ( SP2, etc. )

Upvote 0
I'm running a Intel 3.4Ghz cpu alienware lapto with a radeon x800 with 256mem. I have 3 gig mem in the machine. Running with the most minimal services and TSR exe's. after some time of playing the FPS will drop from 80 to 10 or less and stay there. when alt-tab out everything from the start up to RO game stuff and my cpu is running at max. Yes, I have defragged everything several times and yes I have all new drivers. and no my hdd is not full it's not even half full. yes the system manages the pag file. After alt-tabbing out the only thing which frees up the cpu is to end it all kill RO! OK, so why does it run fine for about an hour and a half only to drop to un-playable frame rates. One more thing everytime this happens my speakers stutter like something is "catching it's breath so to speak.

ty
danimal

Upvote 0
I'm in the crysis beta, and that also runs awfully I need to put all settings @ low and then it still stutters on some moments.
this evening I talked to a guy who also had a 8800gts 320, he runned it with all settings @ high and it runned smoothly. First noticable difference for me was that he had a Intel core 2 duo and I have a amd athlon 64 X2. with 3dmark06 he scores like 11000 points, there were also more guys with 8800gts's claiming they had a score like 11000 points, I unfortunately only score 7888:confused:,I checked everything, and if I enter my old 7800GTX the stuttering is completely gone with red orchestra and other games wich were stuttering @ the 8800gts. I play crysis with exactly the same settings on my 7800gtx and it even runs better, I also have downloaded the new nvidia 163.71 drivers but still no succes. So either I think this is a manufacturing fault or it has to do something with AMD processors, so my question is:
"PEOPLE WITH INTEL PROCESSORS WHO ALSO HAVE THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE REPLY"
srry for caps but this realy needs attention.
I dont even have my 8800gts for 4 weeks yet.
Its a XFX 8800GTS 320MB 580XXX
Tomorrow I'm going to call the store I bought it from and ask if I can trade-in the card for a Asus 8800gtx/ultra (I only have good experiences with Asus so thats why I want a Asus again)

Upvote 0
At last something which has made a considerable improvement to me at any rate. I disabled the Steam on line community in game - BIG BIG improvement

Yahoo! I do beleive this is the problem. The one thing I noticed was all of my stutters started after the last update which included this idotic feature. TURN IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my problem was solved.

Upvote 0