• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop the incredibly easy and unbelievable hipfiring MGs!!!

Right mouse then fire...
But i cant see reason why MG couldnt be precise in hip fireing to some 5 meters if he holds his MG tight with the strap on like the guy on picture ( right click for that action )? TWI should add some inertia when turning left/right because of the weight and stronger kick, but on short distances regardles of that kick at least two bullets should hit enemys torso before barrel goes in the sky, what i wanna say, for instance if i shoot first as a MG in a room or a coridor, other guy must die.

wwii004-40.jpg

Upvote 0
I think the problem lies with the mg34's accuracy when hipshooting. Having used both mgs a lot I find the mg34 is like a laser at almost any range whilst hipshooting, definitely up to 70m where I could guarantee a hit.
It is just as accurate at those lower ranger as using the bipod, so you can see why people are using it as such at the moment.

If I try the same thing with the dp28 then I would be lucky to get a hit at 10-20m.
Which seems to me to be a more realistic range for hipshooting.

TBH this is the least problem for me at the moment so its way down on the list of priorities. If it happens more than once a round to me its rare.

Upvote 0
Its not the 5 or so meter shots that are a major problem, although having to hit a button to raise the weapon first would be nice. Its those shots 30-50 meters or more by players jogging across the open and other similar circumstances that seem totally hokey to me.

Yes, when it happens, I almost always remember it being the mg34.

Is it realistic that it could potentially be done and happen? I suppose. That often? Unlikely in my eyes anyway and it leads to completely unrealistic behavior and weapon usage.

Upvote 0
You know, it's really strange that hipfiring MP-40 or PPSh-41 is much harder in comparison (in terms of accuracy and spread) than hipfiring with machinegun that usually needs to be deployed in order to be able to aim with it... Furthermore, why Soviet MG isn't the problem here? If we have to deploy MG to aim then I think it'd be best to just make really big spread while being one the move/not deployed. This should force people not to run and gun with MG 34.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know, that 95 % of such photos are CCCP-Propaganda fakes?
Search for the Movie from closing the Stalingrad Kessel...
Of course its propaganda, all im saying is that DP28 braced like on picture shoud be very accurate in short bursts up to some 5-10 meters, just for MG selfdefence, naturaly, when gunner is not in full sprint...
DP is ok regarding hipfireing, i cant hit **** more than 20 meters away - i hawent tried MG34 because i dont like how it handles, and its sights especialy, even in normal use.

Upvote 0
Of course its propaganda, all im saying is that DP28 braced like on picture shoud be very accurate in short bursts up to some 5-10 meters, just for MG selfdefence, naturaly, when gunner is not in full sprint...
DP is ok regarding hipfireing, i cant hit **** more than 20 meters away - i hawent tried MG34 because i dont like how it handles, and its sights especialy, even in normal use.

Both the DP-28 and MG-34 can be fired from either the hip or the shoulder irl. The DP-28 in particular doesn't weigh much more than the famous BAR, though the DP lacks a pistol grip. The difference between that and RO2, as you mentioned, is that to fire a LMG from the hip, you have to be well braced. There is actual combat footage of Germans hip-firing MG-34s--one well-known clip from fighting in Rostov, and another during street fighting in a village. Both soldiers have their feet spread wide apart and are completely stationary, and you can still see them struggling to absorb the rearwards recoil.

Upvote 0
From what I've gathered while playing...
When moving, the hip-fire recoil is much larger than when stationary, to the point where one shot throws your aim off any target past 8+ metres...unless you crouch, in which case it's quite a bit less hard to control and you can kinda hit things while moving out to about 20 or so metres.
The DP-28 is just as easy to hip-fire as the MG34, you just have to get used to it (As the German team playing Mamayev last night could say, never saw me coming :D).
Crouching while sitting still means I can hit things about 50 - 60 metres away.

I would just rather that they put in larger recoil while moving and standing than the "brace to fire" option (I have a feeling it will conflict with the deployment quite a lot).

Upvote 0
I would just rather that they put in larger recoil while moving and standing than the "brace to fire" option (I have a feeling it will conflict with the deployment quite a lot).

I'm hoping they put in a brace to fire option or raise weapon to fire option myself that results in a slight delay, otherwise moving with it or just not bracing should result in more recoil and less accuracy.

Upvote 0
I am actually super torn by this question.

At long range I think it's pretty fair. The thing is it would have to be a pretty artificial mechanic to stop it, since an MG should have pretty high first-round accuracy, so if you're pointing the gun directly at the enemy at < 100m, you should hit. When you're standing while hip-firing the recoil is pretty high so it's not ideal for shooting. When crouched it's a lot easier but then I imagine it should be because it's easier to brace yourself and the gun. Besides, it's still inferior to going prone and aiming down sight, and it takes some practice to get lined up with little visual aid.

Close range I agree it is extremely silly. I would have thought the option wouldn't be that attractive, given the fact that SMG's can do the job better because they have ADS to use in a pinch. For the DP-28 I don't even see the problem because Russian machine-gunners intended to join the assault after the rest of the squad was in the building, and it's still inferior to the PPSH-41, so it's historically accurate (assuming he's playing with a team) and it's sub-optimal. If you're Russian and you want to enter a building take the assault-class. For the Germans it's worse though, MG 34 vs MP 40 you have higher rpm, much bigger magazine, and much less historical plausibility. My only suggestion that hasn't been said is to make the collision model a lot clunkier, so you can barely get around a corner or through a doorway and still be able to shoot if you're careful about it.

Upvote 0
It should be possible to use double MG's in action mode with zero recoil and sway.

All joking aside, what they could feasibly do is have action mode be like it is now in the game, and tweak Realism and Classic modes.

What I'd suggest:

• Have to right mouse button (toggle or hold, user optional) for "assault stance" in which the gun is held properly for firing undeployed. More work for animators, it seems. This introduced a significant delay before you can fire the gun while you hold it.
  • While in "assault stance" your movement and aiming inertia becomes significant so you can not speed up or slow down as fast, nor can you turn on a dime. While in "assault stance," you cannot jump (see below) nor can you mantle without cancelling assault stance and having to resume afterwards (could be streamlined as automatic, similar to prone-sprint-prone). This applies only to "assault stance" so that soldiers with shouldered MGs can have some mobility.
  • You can fire the weapon while on the move, but the recoil is wild and as well as that introduces slight errors in movement (you may take a few steps back or to either side). Firing while in assault stance depletes stamina.
  • When not moving and in "assault stance" you can hold the space bar to take a more braced stance to reduce the recoil from what it is when moving, and also experience no backwards or sideways movement. Inertia remains the same. Firing while in braced assault stance also depletes stamina.
  • Either you cannot enter "assault stance" with fully depleted stamina (Classic) or you can, only with even more severe uncontrolled recoil and movement errors than normally (Realism).

Last edited:
Reactions: Wookie87
Upvote 0