• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop being a tourist.

Any harder than organizing a paintball squad of about 25 people, salvaging materials and designing field expansions, while planning a few 100+ person "big Game" events a few times a year?

Or how about managing a staff of 5 on a daily basis, and juggling them across projects for different clients across the globe?

The point is, many people have lives that are more than just gaming, and many of us don't want every Sunday evening to have a 1 hour chunk of it taken up by stroking someone's ego while we type *Salute* to them. If I have to work the whole weekend because a client wants to ship Monday morning, or I'm heading back home for some family event, or I rather have spent the evening with that cute Asian girl who sat next to me in class, then I really don't want to have to worry about explaining where I was or why I wasn't online to a group of people I likely have never met beyond voice chat in some computer game.

Here here..... Someone give this guy a beer.

I tried running a couple of clans back in the TFC days and once in the RO Mod days and it's simply not worth the effort & time. There's really no enjoyment beyond playing the game, which can be easily done outside of a clan.

Indeed, running a clan of 30-45 odd people is a lot of work.... which is why many of those people running those clans usually end up turning into arseholes and suck the fun out of the whole thing. They start to schedule times for people to play together, they try and organize who should take what role based on what they or the higher ups of the clan think they should. Then when people don't show up or someone has something more important to do in their real lives, they generally crack the sh*ts and make the whole thing even less fun then before.

Then you get onto some random server and come across a number of people from the same clan. They act like they're the king crap of the toilet and you should be grateful for basking in their presence, doing what they want, ignoring anybody else on their team, ignoring how the teams are unbalanced and they'd rather play on the same team, trying to force everybody else to switch so they can show off how uber 733t they are.

But people in a clan are not uber 733t except in their own self-entitlement they placed on themselves. They are the exact same as every other player out there in the world..... they're no better or worse, they just think they're better due to gang mentality & so-called strength in numbers.

Then when one or two of them start getting skooled by some no name Pub Player..... that player is kicked. Clans can't have regular Pub'rs showing how much they suck, because when they're beaten by another clan it's ok, because they're in their little uber 733t group of special kids and they were simply having a bad day..... but Pub'rs are a lower form of life and they can't possibly be better than they are.

So to say the least, not all clans or clan members are bad..... but many of them are and they ruin the community as a whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerhard Schiller
Upvote 0
People that join clans, especially realism clans, all share a common interest in whatever their clan represents. If the clan has TS or vent most of the time they are not even ingame, rather they are just bull****ting with each other while playing different games. What is so bad about that?

One of the posters in this thread said he would never belong to a clan again. I ask him some simple questions, does he have steam friends, does he chat with those friends via ingame Viops, TS or vent? Well guess what, you are in a clan but the only thing missing is you didn't give yourselves a name. See, it's all how you look at it.

I have a wife and two kids plus a fulltime job and yet I'm able to be in a clan. I've already missed a couple of sunday practices (once working overtime and the other due to a sick child) and no one jumped down my throat about it. The fact is if you have a valid excuse for not being there then no fuss is raised.

BTW, the salute thing someone blasted is nothing more then a way for a person to say hello to everyone and that they are online. People who don't belong to clans use it as much as people who do.

Upvote 0
Whats that Private??? Your mum is in the hospital?? THAT'S NO EXCUSE TO MISS TRAINING!!!!!!!

But in all serious your view on units is quite wrong. Well I don't know what units you have been in but my unit isn't like that at all. Here Real Life always comes first, after all it's just a ****ing game.

I agree with you but I know where he is coming from, I've found myself in some weird situations in "units" (snickers), or rather the equivalent of that in other games.

I personally won't ever join one because it always feels too serious for me, even if they're a fun unit to play with. (Lmao, I can't keep a straight face typing this)

Upvote 0
BTW, the salute thing someone blasted is nothing more then a way for a person to say hello to everyone and that they are online. People who don't belong to clans use it as much as people who do.

I've blasted it a few times in this thread, but it has all been mostly hyperbole. Sadly I have played on one clan's servers where a member was kicked out of the unit for "Failure to salute",...

He had been AFK dealing with 'paperwork' for the unit, and hadn't noticed the "Commanding officer" join the server.

So people take things way too far, and way too seriously. (And this was a group where we were likely to get hour long discussions on puns dealing with bodily fluids in public VOIP.)

Upvote 0
People that join clans, especially realism clans, all share a common interest in whatever their clan represents. If the clan has TS or vent most of the time they are not even ingame, rather they are just bull****ting with each other while playing different games. What is so bad about that?

One of the posters in this thread said he would never belong to a clan again. I ask him some simple questions, does he have steam friends, does he chat with those friends via ingame Viops, TS or vent? Well guess what, you are in a clan but the only thing missing is you didn't give yourselves a name. See, it's all how you look at it.

Indeed, anything can look like anything when you twist things around hard enough.

I have "Friends" on my Steam account.... a whole whopping 6 of them..... Whom I've probably played each one of them in a game once, and they just popped up in my Steam wanting to be friends. I added them, maybe I'd join them in a game someday.... but I have yet to purposely go out and play a game with a friend on my Steam. If I join in a server where they're playing, it's by fluke.

Now if you want to call that a "Clan" be my guest. I sure as hell wouldn't.

I suppose though if you wanted to twist things even further, everybody I have on Facebook is all a clan, as I have at least done something with each person on my Facebook to classify as an interaction.... some of them I might have even played Checkers with once or twice when I was a kid.

Guess that's a clan.

I have a wife and two kids plus a fulltime job and yet I'm able to be in a clan. I've already missed a couple of sunday practices (once working overtime and the other due to a sick child) and no one jumped down my throat about it. The fact is if you have a valid excuse for not being there then no fuss is raised.

And what if you just don't care to play at that specific time with no real good reason or "Valid Excuse?" What if everybody else wants to keep playing Sundays, but you want to play Mondays? What if you just want to just pop on whenever you damn well please and randomly play with the same bunch of people?

Get kicked?

Do you end up demoted to private and can only use the Rifleman Class for the next month and then actually have to do 20 pushups in real life, video tape it and email it to the commanding officer dude so he has proof you did your punishment.... when in reality, he's just adding your video to his collection of sweaty, shirtless, swampass nerd'linger video gamers doing pushups and getting some domination kick off of it all. ;)

Don't answer that because to me personally it won't make a difference, because I still have no interest in joining one.

Again, to each their own. Some clans are good, fun & decent..... but 90% of the rest are childish acorn diddlers, and I simply don't have the time or patience to sift through them all to find one that suits me.

Make one of my own?

Ha.... did that

Whatever happened to just simple things like "Sup Testienipples, you bi'atches ready to r@pe some CS:Source Noobs!?? Major MJ Jackson's in da HOOOOUUUSSSEEE!!!!"

Man, it was so much better with Text to Speech. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerhard Schiller
Upvote 0