• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam Hacked, Valve Investigating Possible Credit Card Theft

Moyako

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2008
Venezuela
www.xfire.com
Steam Hacked, Valve Investigating Possible Credit Card Theft

A message sent just now from Valve Corporation head Gabe Newell says credit card numbers and other personal information were inside a database compromised during a defacement attack on the Steam forums this Sunday.

Valve is advising all of its Steam customers to keep close eye on their credit card activity, as those numbers were inside a database the hackers penetrated during the larger attack, Newell wrote. The Steam Forums are currently closed. Steam itself is operating.
"We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating," Newell wrote. "We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely."

The database exposed during the attack "contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information," Newell said in the statement.

The Steam Forums are currently offline as Valve continues its investigation and recovers from the attack. When the forums return, all users will be required to change their passwords. Users who used the same password on the Steam Forums as they did on other sites are advised to change those passwords as well.

"We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password." Newell wrote.

"I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience," he said.

http://kotaku.com/5858473/steam-hacked-valve-investigating-possible-credit-card-theft/

So, that explains the forum thing. Changing mah password

hmm. I don't see any troubles really. I just use paypal, and just put over money whenever i'm going to buy something!! dont think they are really intrested to hack me once a month for stealing 10euros :p not am I too scared loosing 10euros either :D PAYPAL FTW! :D

password and secret admirer question changed :p

Upvote 0
Luckily I had and have a preety large, complex and stupid password and Steam Guard active since it was available.
Thankfully I do my Steam shopping with Paysafecards and cheap retail titles.

At least VALVe had the common sense to encrypt everything, unlike Sony wich basicly had .txt files with completly uncensored accounts details all together behind some firewalls.

I remember all the steam fanboys screaming how crappy Origin was en how perfect Steam was.
Perhaps they will reconsider now.

No. Origin is the worst digital distribution software of the moment.
Steam was highly criticized when it started because you had all your games linked to each other via a online account but VALVe actually improved it dramaticly over the years and Steam is rightfully the best digital distribution software on the planet and allways will be (unless something seriously bad happens).

Gabe despite being a obese twat sometimes is the reason PC gaming is still very strong wether we admit it or not.
Without Gabe, VALVe and Steam PC gaming would have vanished completly and we all would be console drones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0