• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER almost done.

I think unless they have majorly overhauled then by the time of release it's impact will be far less than it should ahve been.

It was meant to be revolutionary in terms of physics, visuals, gameplay etc.

But I am curious as to how well they have pushed it on from how it was to keep it from becoming past it before it even launches.

Upvote 0
Let me tell you a little bit about Stalker. I used to work for THQ, and it was one of the projects we in the QA department tracked with interest. Unfortunately we had little hope for it making any kind of impact since it was 2 years past due at the time and only getting farther behind.

Stalker's development cycle has been handicapped by the development team itself. The lead producer set a rule that all content from each subordinate must be passed to him, and ONLY to him for inclusion into the main game engine. Nobody was allowed to interact with anyone other than the lead. Only when he had all parts from all subs were they integrated, and then tested. Talk about a system designed from the ground up to totally cripple the development process...

Unfortunately THQ Europe, who was in charge of the project, had very little input into how the game development progressed. All they could do, along with THQ Corporate in the US, was sit back and wait for the devs to send them updates, which occured on the order of one every 1-2 months. Normally a game in production updates weekly, even daily or several times a day as changes and bug fixes are implemented. If the game is going into the QA process you can guarantee at least 6 months of testing before it releases.

Upvote 0
Hmm, sounds interesting, thanks for the info. BTW, it also sounds like developing games successfully is akin to fighting wars successfully: you can't have the top guy managing everything.

In other words, it sounds like the head of the team was pulling a Hitler and had to personally validate and give every order or change to the program, rather than let the guys in each respective area of expertise solve some of their own issues.

Upvote 0