• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Selection as default.

Krobar

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2011
The sewers of Leningrad.
So when one loads into a server, they choose their team and then their role; but what some people don't know is there is another tab to that role selection screen! Yes the squad layouts!

Now if this tab the default when loading in players would choose what squad they went into as a rifleman or squad leader, thus seeing who their squad mates are and having a better chance on working with them.

I don't want to assume that this is as easy as changing one line of code, but it probably is.

I think this is a really good idea for the game; others and I have suggested it before. I believe squad awareness is something that is somewhat lacking in the way players approach this game, so anything that could boost that might help.

I don't necessarily fully blame the game. With the rudimentary leadership/squad system in place, players have more than enough at their disposal to actually play on a team as squad members should, with different squads playing different roles, they just often largely choose not to. Even I am guilty of this on occasion, but really only when my squad leader just seems to be playing solo with no effort at communicating orders, throwing smoke, trying to use the squad leader spawn system, etc. I suppose I should always try to switch squads in such a situation.

The best rounds in RO2 are where TLs and SLs work together with each other and with their teams and the squad members mostly try to follow orders. When this occurs, even getting stomped for a loss is way more fun even than winning with no teamwork.

Another thing that I get the impression hurts team/squad play is the general hurry to get into the action that every round seems to bring, the "I don't know what squad I'm in, I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, so I'll just pick an objective at whim" w-key+shift spam. I'm not sure of the details for this idea, but I feel that every match, maybe every round, should come with a short "briefing" period where team leaders and squad leaders can deliver orders both with the order dialog and the voice chat, but nobody can otherwise move or do anything, and before the round timer starts. Some kind of short time for a TL to actually ask the different squads to do different things without the pressure of the round timer having started.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Totally agree with all of you, especially with Mario last words.

We NEED this, improve teamwork anyway you can. Or we can just play any fps around... Give player instruments to easily deploy squads, fix squads composition (rifle, assault, support, AT squads) make ppl in squad know which squad they are into, who is their SL, what is their objective, and if they have to defend, attack, delay, retreat. And also give the TL fast and easy access to all these option (i understand that it's like asking for a miracle, but a CoH interface would be great for the TL. We just need to find a good way to integrate its functionality in the game as it is, maybe an eagle eye view?)

It's frustrating that we keep posting this points multiple times in many not so different variants and we don't even get a word or just a "no, drop that, it's not gonna happen"

I'm tired of this :(

Upvote 0
I never even knew that tab was there. So after reading it here I clicked it, but I didn't use it... it looked too complicated and to be honest I don't see a reason to use squads at the moment on public servers.

Just bringing people together in squads will improve gameplay, teamwork and authenticity. Not to mention the morale, point, and capture boost one gets with their full squad. In beta your squad is shown in the tactical view, can't recall if thats in the full game yet. It is also much easier to identify squads in the beta compared to the full game at the moment.

Upvote 0
People should be able to auto-ready to spawn on the spawn which the squad leader picked. If SL picks spawn 2, you will spawn there automatically as well.

Yes. I had a similar idea where the TL and SL could order spawn choices (including the spawn on SL) thereby making them the default of which a stubborn lone wolf would have to manually opt out of. It would help concentrate squads better to one area and facilitate the sense that one squad has one job/area and another squad has another job/area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0