• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Spider Holes

Redit

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Airstrip 1
Another suggestion to give an advantage to the Japanese defending their islands. The Japanese used spider holes to ambush US and CW troops in the Pacific. Just wondering if these could be implemented?

Spider_hole.png

Reactions: jalex3
Would this be part of the cover system? Like will you be able to throw grenades, blind-fire, and peek out of these hole? And there should be some disadvantage to them.

Another thing is that if it was built into the map, people would already know what spider holes are where and such and just lunge a grenade into it. So I don't see much use to it.

Upvote 0
Maybe the locations can be randomized?

For example, say there are 30 on a map. Each time a game starts, only 20 will be accessible.

The new game, another set will be accessible, and previously accessible ones won't be accessible.

The map CS_Havana in CS:S did this, only with doors being open or closed. And they would change each round... so restarting the map/server would not be necessary to see this effect.

Considering it was done on Source, I am sure UE3 can do it.

Upvote 0
Why not just place a LOT of spider holes around the map during its design. At the start of each map just randomly "activate" a certain number of them . Make it so only the Japanese can tell which ones are activated (or where they are).

That should be really easy to code.....:p

While not necessarily 'easy' to code - certainly about a zillion times easier than getting deformable terrain into UE.

Upvote 0
If it was the commanders job to place them it would work in 1 of 2 ways.

Useful: The commander obviously wants his team to win and/or knows where the enemy is mainly going to attack from and strategically places spider holes around.

Useless: The commander felt like a dick today or he just doesn't really know the map all to well so he places them in the most useless places possible.

I like Floyd's idea.

Upvote 0