• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Speculation] Sprinting is in?

Sprinting would only work if we stop thinking in terms of KF1. KF2 zeds would have to move and operate in such a fashion that kiting wouldn't be very useful or practical.

Get rid of kiting as a useful tactic and then I can see sprint working.

If Tripwire adds sprinting, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They've had enough experience by now that I trust they will come up with a good balance. Make the zeds smarter and capable of moving faster and it should be fine. If they still plod along like cattle then yeah, sprinting would be OP. Also, remove faster running with your knife out if you add sprint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only thing I'm really worried about regarding sprinting is how it affects kiting.

Kiting is a play style where you're doing your best to render zeds useless so you can get a win by shooting the zeds as they helplessly try to get you. That's terrible.

I hope there's a kind of system that makes kiting very, very difficult. Run-n-gun play is actually very fun and challenging when your running is more offensive and involves ploughing through tunnels full of zeds while you're surrounded, as opposed to kiting.

Upvote 0
That's the kind of thing I loved in KF1, despite the lack of stamina/sprinting.

KF-Waterworks was awesome when playing on the move for whatever reason, be it to get to your fave holdout zone, to find your split-up friends, etc. It leads to tense situations where people are trying to quickly cram a door closed to help make an escape. And then someone arses up and locks someone outside with the zeds. Oh boy. KF-Foundry, KF-Wyre, and KF-Icebreaker had a great share of those moments too.

This run-n-gun is tense as hell, defensive play still has a risk factor due to oftentimes lacking escape routes, but kiting is just plain cheap. Games last a ridiculously long time because of it, and there's little to no risk involved. What makes it worse is its popularity in pub games. Eugh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think at least certain types of ZED will be more nimble than they were in the first game.. maybe there'll even be a way you can get tripped up if you sprint around carelessly ;) mwahahhaa. Imagine clots or crawlers grabbing your ankle as you run by.

Better mental image: you round a corner and get clotheslined by a Fleshpound. Owww

Also, PRESUMABLY wave structure will be changed up somewhat so that we can't just pick off all the remaining faster Zeds in a wave and THEN spend half an hour running from and taking pot-shots at the big slow bruisers that remain..

Upvote 0
I don't understand why they didn't make it so lagging enemies disappeared, add to the wave count, and could possibly spawn in front of the kiting path as new enemies. This way you can never kite in front of all enemies all the time.

Spawning in the kiting path could be weird. There would have to be some sort of coding that always made them spawn directly behind you out of view. I wouldn't want to see zeds pop up out of thin air.

Upvote 0
Every time I play a game without sprint I almost feel naked while walking around. Switching to the knife to increase speed makes sense, but not being able to sprint doesn't feel right.

Somebody else mentioned that not being able to shoot your gun while sprinting is one form of balance. I'm sure the developers can think of more ways to balance the game if we were able to sprint.

Stamina bars are super disappointing, losing stamina for jumping, sprinting, or using melee attacks. As far as sprinting goes, "dashes" are ideal.. being able to sprint for a few seconds, then you need to walk for a few more seconds to rebuild energy. Stamina or energy or w/e shouldn't have any effect on jumping, climbing, or melee though :mad:

Upvote 0
How is sprinting any different from currently swapping to knife to run faster? I don't understand why people make it such a big deal. Different speed from swapping hand weapon is outdated. This is probably what sprint will replace.

Also why is kiting a bad thing? What else can you do if you're on the run and don't have enough firepower to stop and shoot the entire wave? Run until you get cornered?

I think sprinting with overall streamlined movement speed will actually fix the toxic kiting I think you people are talking about, no more speedy gonzales running around dancing around zeds because you will have to sprint to do that and you won't be able to shoot them or sprint backwards.

Upvote 0
Well, slightly faster run speed with your knife out isn't as fast as sprinting. When you look at sprinting in most games, it typically would be faster than what you move in KF1 with your knife out. That's what people don't like about the idea of being able to do it infinitely with no stamina usage.

I agree, you should be able to get away and pick off zeds, so kiting isn't a completely bad thing. Being the last man standing shouldn't equal automatic death because there's no method of getting away and staying away. But I do think it shouldn't be AS EASY to do. Sprinting wouldn't necessarily break things depending on how the game operates.

And as for other actions depleting stamina, no thank you. Jumping, attacking, etc should not have some sort of limit. You wouldn't even need an actual stamina bar. Just hold the sprint key down and after a few seconds you slow back down and hear heavy breathing. Though it would be beneficial to have some sort of indicator that you can start sprinting again. I guess just have the heavy breathing go away? But that could be an annoying sound if there's any sort of significant cool-down period. In that instance I don't see any other way than a stamina bar (though it could just be numbers and not an actual bar, like your healing cool-down in KF1).

Upvote 0
Well, slightly faster run speed with your knife out isn't as fast as sprinting. When you look at sprinting in most games, it typically would be faster than what you move in KF1 with your knife out. That's what people don't like about the idea of being able to do it infinitely with no stamina usage.

I agree, you should be able to get away and pick off zeds, so kiting isn't a completely bad thing. Being the last man standing shouldn't equal automatic death because there's no method of getting away and staying away. But I do think it shouldn't be AS EASY to do. Sprinting wouldn't necessarily break things depending on how the game operates.

And as for other actions depleting stamina, no thank you. Jumping, attacking, etc should not have some sort of limit. You wouldn't even need an actual stamina bar. Just hold the sprint key down and after a few seconds you slow back down and hear heavy breathing. Though it would be beneficial to have some sort of indicator that you can start sprinting again. I guess just have the heavy breathing go away? But that could be an annoying sound if there's any sort of significant cool-down period. In that instance I don't see any other way than a stamina bar (though it could just be numbers and not an actual bar, like your healing cool-down in KF1).

I don't think an indicator is really needed, after playing a few hours you'd get the general feel for stamina

Upvote 0
Why would somebody turn around from fp and crouch? Doesn't make sense

To be more precise, the player was crouching. Upon seeing the fleshpound he turned around and stood up.

I would be thoroughly disappointed if there were no sprinting. I want to imagine that I am in the zombie apocalypse, which would be tough if I cannot imagine myself sprinting in a situation where sprinting would save my life IRL.

First off, these aren't zombies. Second of all, there was no (real) sprinting in Killing Floor 1 and it had no real place in it. Instead, you can run faster with a knife.

Upvote 0