• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sonic Cracks and Pops

fandango831

Jan 31, 2012
Playing in Beta Wave 5 and 6 they were fine I could hear incoming fire and knew when someone was shooting at me aside from well...death. Ever since the interim beta for 6 and now in Wave 7 I hear absolutely no sonic cracks and pops from incoming bullets which absolutely frustrates me. Just hearing a gunshot in the distance is not enough to know someone has targeted me for destruction. It's beyond stupid when someone is shooting at me and I can't tell they are directing their fire at me specifically until they actually land a kill shot. Incoming bullets should not only be distinct but they should be quite audible.

What are your feelings concerning incoming fire and the implementation or fix of sonic cracks?

Personally I was hoping they would take a lesson from ARMA or even SQUAD and really emphasize incoming fire and give it liveliness and variety. Was I mistaken thinking TW would put the effort in improving that?

Reactions: exhausted
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2293932 said:
So these weren't removed, they had just had their volume and falloff distance adjusted based on previous feedback, but it meant that they were now having to pass a lot closer by you to be heard. They will be adjusted again, so that if you get a screen blur from a near miss, you will hear the crack.

Nice to hear them being back in the Open Beta but they are still far too quiet compared to other sounds in-game. The cracks should be LOUD and make you get down or run for cover.

Upvote 0
I like the game for the most part. The only issue that really stuck with me after some time in play was weapon sounds in general. Most seem... I'm trying to come up with a proper description.... "muddy?" Not the kind of sharpness or in your face impact that i have experienced elsewhere. And there doesn't seem to be enough distinction between distant fire and close range fire. The type of weapon being fired doesn't seem to matter. The impact of sound doesn't seem to be as inspiring as it could be. I'm not inclined to criticize anything in games unless I really feel there is a vacuum to be filled. So I'm saying this after pondering it awhile.

Reactions: lipoforall
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2295031 said:
Sonics cracks are louder in RS2 than they were in RO2.

ok, maybe.. but in all previous RO/RS it was really easy to determine if anyone shooting at me(or close to me) and where he is(direction, aprox. distance) but not now.. sometimes in open beta i didn't hear weapon sound when someone killed me, its so annoying and frustrating for me.. also overal atmosphere was better..

i am not sure if its just because of sounds(maybe supression effect) but this game feels more arcade for me.. i am not scared when someone starts shooting on(at?) me..(partly because i dont know its so close)

that's my opinion... and i know i'm just one of many

Upvote 0
lipoforall;n2295056 said:
ok, maybe.. but in all previous RO/RS it was really easy to determine if anyone shooting at me(or close to me) and where he is(direction, aprox. distance) but not now.. sometimes in open beta i didn't hear weapon sound when someone killed me, its so annoying and frustrating for me.. also overal atmosphere was better..

i am not sure if its just because of sounds(maybe supression effect) but this game feels more arcade for me.. i am not scared when someone starts shooting on(at?) me..(partly because i dont know its so close)

that's my opinion... and i know i'm just one of many

Sounds were broken in Wave 7. That all got fixed in Wave 8. This thread started during wave 7.

Upvote 0