• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper...

Sniper...

• No, only for people with 5gigs of ram and a Pentium 16.

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Yes, Make the scoped rifle spawn at each spawn point every time a person with it dies.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Yes, Make it so when the sniper dies the slot opens up and he cannot choose it for a while

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Yes, make the Sniper class be an award for players who get a lot of kills as a rifleman.

Votes: 27 32.5%

• Total voters
The whole game & every other game made favours better PC's & better pings.
The better the PC then the better the Gfx & the more the player can see & subsequently is able to play easier.
Better ping means killing someone in a shootout because your connection is quicker & so your shot is fired before he's even seen you.
This is the facts of life playing online games & nothing will change it. Live with it as you have no chioce in the matter.
I have better PC so i get scope. I understand it, live with it & don't complain about it & also don't pick it (often).
Please stop complaing about things because of your standard of equipment because i & probably most devs & many other forum visitors don't give a hoot about substandard PC owners complaining because they don't get a fair deal.

Upvote 0
A short pre-round warm-up sounds good to me. That way everyone can get a chance to load in before sniper or whatever else is grabbed by the people who paid for nice computers.

As for points not being a gauge for skill, they aren't. Points are a gauge for how well you're helping your team. I still think sniper could be opened up as a class option to anyone who achieves X amount of points. Whether by racking up kills or taking positions, either way they're helping out and proving you aren't just someone who wants sniper because it's "leet."

Upvote 0
My .02

My .02

The sniper rifle is nothing more than a bolt-action or semi-automatic rifle with a scope. Those who are good with the rifle, really don't want or need the scope. I find it gets in my way with a very few exceptions.

But, a lot of people want the sniper rifle, bad enough that they will deliberately TK to get it (and banned from some servers!).

So, why not make it an option for any rifleman after a set activity. One sniper to start, then any riflemen who completes/reaches X can opt for a scope.

So what is X?

Well, I can tell you most good riflemen won't want one, so the number of kills is probably not the answer.

Who really wants the scope. Mostly the ones who are not really good with the iron sights/rifle and have a slow connection/low memory, basically late to the server and that is all that is left....

So, the best way to identify these "candidates" would be say the number of deaths or ping or ???

But I would have a concern about game balance if say 4 riflemen "qualify" for scopes.

So, to try and keep the balance maybe a rotation of sorts just to add to the confusion.....

One additional sniper scope for the riflemen, rotated through each of the candidates. When one dies, the next "candidate" rifleman in line will spawn with the scoped rifle. Of course, you would still need to provide a way to opt in or out for the scope because some will not want it.

Or, when the sniper is killed, this "opens" up a scope that the next rifleman to spawn can opt for. (the 'new' sniper would bet a scope too as a sniper). At least this would provide some realism as scopes are in "short supply" and no doubt, scopes would be collected quickly when a sniper was killed......

Ideas, but my opinion is, leave it alone. Play is pretty balanced, you can pick up sniper rifles along the way, if you really want one that bad ask, The sniper may be willing to drop it for you.

Or better yet, go kill the enemy sniper and take theirs!

=OF=BigP

Upvote 0
That isn't what he means. It's generally true that people with better computers and connections will succeed to a greater degree in a specialized role.

Don't flamebait either, thx.

I'm sorry I am not trying to flamebait here but what evidence do you have to back your claim up? When it comes to Red Orchestra, the only option I can think of that would give you an advantage is being able to use Anti Aliasing so a small aliased blip several yards away isn't mistaken for a person. And even then I find I play fine with 0 AA.

Everyones opinion is different, but I find that all I need is a steady 40 FPS with low settings to do fine in just about every first person shooter. But If you have some sort of data that shows a ratio of high end computers and most kills, I'd take your word for it.

Upvote 0
Most of the more elite clanners tend to have good computers.

It's purely anecdotal evidence, but once you hang out in the clan realm long enough, there is a definite feeling that skill = better computer, and vice versa.

There are some clanners with terrible computers, but they tend to be the exceptions.

Upvote 0
Plus if they are that good anyway, why do they need a scope???
I see people still don't understand the purpose of a sniper. The purpose is so you (the sniper) can kill people at ranges which they (standard riflemen) cannot (reliably) kill you. That's the whole point. The point isn't just to magnify your targets so they are bigger & easier to hit. The point is to use and exploit that magnification to enable you to get as far away as possible and still be able to make kills.

On small maps this advantage is negligible since riflemen can take you out pretty easily. It's only on large maps where you will see what the true purpose of sniping is.

Upvote 0
Thats your rendition of the sniper class, not exactly mines. I am perfectly fine with sniping in medium range and I get plenty of kills that way as well. In fact this is helpful in my opinion because there is always the chance of getting ambushed. A good sniper should be able to save himself from close encounters.

But for me the game is not about a clan match or war renactment, it's not about acting as close as possible to a real soldier, it's about having fun and killing time... and the enemy! So far this thread is telling me that I don't have a good enough computer to play sniper and that I don't even know how to play the class... hmmm :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thats your rendition of the sniper class, not exactly mines. I am perfectly fine with sniping in medium range and I get plenty of kills that way as well. In fact this is helpful in my opinion because there is always the chance of getting ambushed. A good sniper should be able to save himself from close encounters.

You could do that perfectly fine with a rifle, or an MG. Why are you wasting a sniper slot?

But for me the game is not about a clan match or war renactment, it's not about acting as close as possible to a real soldier, it's about having fun and killing time... and the enemy! So far this thread is telling me that I don't have a good enough computer to play sniper and that I don't even know how to play the class... hmmm :rolleyes:

What most of us are saying is that people, for some strange reason, have a scope fetish that they need to get over. Use the correct tool for the job (or in this case, the correct job for the tool), or, if you can't get it, learn another class.

Personally, I chose the rifle. I always get it, and I don't have to create threads with biased poll options in order to complain that it isn't fair. Welcome to online gaming and hardware limitations. :rolleyes:

Basically, this thread's opponents can be summed up by just saying: "We don't care about your plight. Too many people believe that the sniper is the only way to have fun, and the system is currently working most efficiently. Look at the nightmares that alternatives would introduce."

Upvote 0
Yeah well, its not only about the sniper really. When I had 512MBRam back in the days I wanted to use a Stg44 more often, heck even the semis were already taken most of the time when I finally loaded the map.

Of course someone with a better machine has an advantage, because he gets beter frames per second. Not to mention AA and/or a higher resolution etc. pp.
But we can't do anything about that.
We CAN do something about the unfair system of awarding limited classes to faster hardware user.
A warm-up time for example seems to be a good compromise.

The exact length should be a server setting of course.
If I want to play with a few friends or a clan of whom I know everyone has a good computer we don't need that long a warm-up time.
If I am hosting a tank-only server I might want to bump up the warm-up time because huge tank maps generally take longer to load.

Upvote 0
I use a 5 year old PC and any Aussie regular can tell you I'm a damn good player. Provided you've got a smooth framerate (and I don't always) then you've got all the advantage you need. As for the sniper rifle, what's the obsession with it? It's a hindrance most of the time and rarely necessary. The only benefit is the pistol you get for close range encounters. I choose a regular rifle rather than those scoped things.

Upvote 0
On the load times issue, I actually think having a "warmup period" is a good idea. Not because of "Leet Snipah" whining, but because it increases the chance that one side won't end up with more people and win or unbalance (via captures) in the first few minutes. IE: imagine Stalingrad Kessel where the map starts and within the first two minutes, the Russians have capped the Warehouses and the Assembly hall. A warmup time would help eliminate that problem.

As for the sniper thing, I repeat: get over it.

I don't get to play the Sniper hardly ever. I enjoy it when I do get to play, or when I grab a fallen rifle, but I find that most of the time I'm serving my team better by grabbing an SMG or fixing my bayonet and getting my *** into the cap zone.

The sniper, especially on a LOT of RO maps, is a very specialized class who provides essential cover and weakens enemy defenses. On defense, he demoralizes the enemy and picks off people before they get to the cap zone, as well as draws attention to himself and away from regular defenders.

Watch a really effective sniper on Krasnyi Oktyabr who gets into the sniper building and slows down the German team, drawing preoccupied players to try and flush him out when they should be hauling *** to the cap zone instead.

BUT, the point here is NOT about the kills, but rather about the EFFECT of those kills. The other MAJOR disadvantage is that snipers on many maps get screwed in close range, as they should. And at long range they aren't as useful because of the short viewdistances (even if the approach from one zone to another takes a little while).

In short: the sniper is not the be-all/end-all. If you can't enjoy the game without playing as the sniper, you're better off finding another game. I say this not in the sense of "STFU NOOB", but rather in the sense of why waste your time playing a game that pisses you off? The game isn't going to change unless you find a server that runs a mutator where everyone gets a sniper rifle.

Upvote 0