• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper...

Sniper...

• No, only for people with 5gigs of ram and a Pentium 16.

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Yes, Make the scoped rifle spawn at each spawn point every time a person with it dies.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Yes, Make it so when the sniper dies the slot opens up and he cannot choose it for a while

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Yes, make the Sniper class be an award for players who get a lot of kills as a rifleman.

Votes: 27 32.5%

• Total voters
You could do that perfectly fine with a rifle, or an MG. Why are you wasting a sniper slot?

Is there some sort of rule that governs how to play the sniper class? I generally like sniping from far away but my goal is not to be so far away that the target is a tiny blip even when I am zoomed in. I appreciate a good debate but I didn't make this thread for comments on how to play the class, or to be told to play another class.

I enjoy the sniper class in whatever shape or form I play it and don't like how it automatically goes to the first person to connect to the server. How can you justify that being fair? And since everyone so adamant on schooling me on the proper use of the sniper, shouldn't you be angry about this issue as well? How do you know that everyone who gets the sniper position plays it properly? Joe Schmoe super computer could choose the sniper spot just because it has a pistol and he loves to charge the enemy spawn whipping russians with the butt end of the luger?

If I were in a clan I would cordially pass the sniper class to the clan appointed sniper that is so good he has VZ and MK shedding tears from beyond the graves. But I am talking about pugs. In pugs each class plays however the guy in front of the screen wants to play them, and often someone is on their cellphone or answering an instant message.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't distribute the sniper rifle, you can't make it unavaible at the start, you can't delay being able to pick classes, because it still becomes about who can get it first. You can't make it only available to people or deserve it, or only let people use it for a certain period either.

There is no solution other than to
1. Get used to it
2. Play a different class

It's an over-rated class as it is.

Upvote 0
heres what you do.

1: get a high score with rifle
2: if sniper sucks balls, pollitely ask him for the sniper rifle

in this maner you wont seem like a little whiny "gimie teh snipor" kid to the rest of your team, and many of them might ask the sniper to pass you off the class because you already have a good score with a rifle.

Upvote 0
Is there some sort of rule that governs how to play the sniper class? I generally like sniping from far away but my goal is not to be so far away that the target is a tiny blip even when I am zoomed in. I appreciate a good debate but I didn't make this thread for comments on how to play the class, or to be told to play another class.

No, what I am saying is that you can have the same play style using a rifle, and since you aren't really lobbying to use the sniper to its fullest effect, I'm not too worried if you get it or not.

Upvote 0
I think the reason TW made it so the first person to join the game gets the sniper is to encourage us all to try harder in real life to better our selves. It's kind of "Study hard at school kids, and one day you may be able to buy a good pc so you can play as sniper in RO" :D

My comp wasn't cutting edge when I built it three years ago, and I still get into games early enough to have the free pick of my class. I honestly think the difference of load times between a built to the hilt system and an off the shelf are really not that big. I don't see how spending the time to ensure that my fairly mediocre system runs lean is unfair. I've probably spent considerably less time on removing spyware and disabeling un-neccesary software than a lot of these snipers have spent thinking about ways the game can be changed so they get to satisfy their scope fettish.

If you wan't to be rewarded with easy kills, (and lets face it this is what this "I wan't my scope" is all about), then at least be prepared to put the work in to deserver them. If not in optomising your system, then in trailing the guy on your team who spent 10mins clearing his spyware and got the sniper class.

I wonder how many guys who are l33t snipers, but never get a chance to prove it have even bothered to try this:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11052

? ? ?

Upvote 0

I enjoy the sniper class in whatever shape or form I play it and don't like how it automatically goes to the first person to connect to the server. How can you justify that being fair? And since everyone so adamant on schooling me on the proper use of the sniper, shouldn't you be angry about this issue as well? How do you know that everyone who gets the sniper position plays it properly? Joe Schmoe super computer could choose the sniper spot just because it has a pistol and he loves to charge the enemy spawn whipping russians with the butt end of the luger?

If I were in a clan I would cordially pass the sniper class to the clan appointed sniper that is so good he has VZ and MK shedding tears from beyond the graves. But I am talking about pugs. In pugs each class plays however the guy in front of the screen wants to play them, and often someone is on their cellphone or answering an instant message.

There's no RULE per se, but when you can accomplish the same task with other weapons, it's better to put the sniper rifle to use in a way that other weapons CAN'T be used.

That's why many folks here say the sniper rifle is overrated. It's highly useful in some cases, but in many many more, you can do just as well with a bolt action, semi-auto, MG, or even an SMG. It's also why people typically say you should target snipers if you're the sniper. Why? Because chances are the enemy sniper is in a position where regular riflemen can't take him out and only your team sniper can. If the team sniper ISN'T doing that, he's not doing as much for the team as he could be.

Upvote 0
I enjoy the sniper class in whatever shape or form I play it and don't like how it automatically goes to the first person to connect to the server. How can you justify that being fair? And since everyone so adamant on schooling me on the proper use of the sniper, shouldn't you be angry about this issue as well? How do you know that everyone who gets the sniper position plays it properly? Joe Schmoe super computer could choose the sniper spot just because it has a pistol and he loves to charge the enemy spawn whipping russians with the butt end of the luger?​

If I were in a clan I would cordially pass the sniper class to the clan appointed sniper that is so good he has VZ and MK shedding tears from beyond the graves. But I am talking about pugs. In pugs each class plays however the guy in front of the screen wants to play them, and often someone is on their cellphone or answering an instant message.​

I'm one of those guys with 4/5gigs of ram and all I have to say on the matter is Tough titties,its justified because my system is faster than yours,not that I go for sniper everytime but its nice to have first dibs.​

Upvote 0
No. You paid for the game just as much or little as everyone else did. As soon as we can run the game with a playable framerate on an acceptable resolution (read: As soon as we meet the real hardware requirements) it should be perfectly even. Its not.
People who paid more for their hardware get the advantage of being able to chose freely which class they want to play as while others can't.
That's bad game design in my eyes.

If you want to support that it means that you got good hardware yourself and you don't want to give up an advantage you don't deserve. Get over it. An even playing field is better for everyone in the end.

Upvote 0