• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Sniper Tactics

Here are some tactics for snipers. If I left anything out let me know.

- Stay back from the front lines. You have a long range weapon so use it.

- Sniper rifles are great in defence and not so good in attack. To defend an area from distance use a sniper rifle.

- Shoot the higher priority targets first. Such as heavy MG's NCO's etc..

- Pick a high point to snipe from. This gives you a greater view of the battlefield and a longer view distance.

- Find a well covered place. Dont lie down in the middle of a field you will be easily spotted.

- Avoid making a silhouette of yourself, whether it be on hilltops, the tops of buildings or windows and doorways. If on a hill, move forward in front of the crest. Not being seen is more important than having protective cover.

- Rest your weapon against an object to give yourself maximum accuracy.

- For quick shooting pick a semi auto rifle over a bolt action. It is one hit one kill with either in the head or chest and a semi auto has a faster rate of fire meaning more kills. However you compromise the accuracy of the bolt action.

- Change your position regularly. If you try and camp in one position for an entire map the enemy will know where to look and keep killing you.

- Avoid close quaters combat. If its you against an smg your dead.

- Use your pistol in close combat. If an enemy gets close use your pistol, Its much easier to kill them rather than trying to shoot them unscoped.

- Watch for enemy snipers! The other team have sniper too and they are going to be looking out for you!

- Teamwork. If your team are pinned down help them out by giving them covering fire.

- Try and get a teammate to watch your back so you dont get sneaked up on by the enemy.

**EDITED**

I'm not trying to flame, but since I spent 16 years in the Army, went to sniper school, have combat tours under my belt and competed on a national level, I'd like to correct a few thngs here.

-The sniper weapon system is a support weapon in general and shouldn't be running out front rushing MG pits. Good point here, stay back and use the range and optics to your advantage.

-Sniper rifles are fine for defense, but are GREAT for attacking as well. This is where the weapon system should be used for taking out crew served weapons (MG's) and other enemy targets that are just mowing everyone down. Use it to support the attack.

-There is a list of priority targets, but the first on that list is other snipers. After that take out the leaders, (guys that are spotting arty) MG's and then targets of opportunity.

-About high ground....You can pretty much rest assurred that this is straight from the movies and wrong! It's the first place people look, you're easily spotted and you have no where to go if you have to get out in a hurry. Try to stay away from high ground unless you have a VERY large area of open ground in front of you and you are sure to out range the enemy without him outflanking you.

The rest is fine as far as I can tell.

Moving targets: There are two general techniques for shooting at moving targets. There's is the trapping and tracking method. The trapping method is preferred. This is where you aim your rifle at a point in front of the target and wait without moving. You let him move into the kill zone and fire. Tracking is less reliable. This is where you keep your rifle pointed in front of the target, moving with it until you're ready to shoot. Another point, if you see a group moving together, it is easier to aim at the middle of the group and fire than to try to hit a certain individual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Add: For distant objects, adjust for bullet drop--because IT WILL!

It will drop, but mostly because the range isn't great enough to notice it. I have yet to see anything further than 500 meters. Usually it's a lot less than that. If you were firing at the range you were supposed to 600 or more, you'd have to aim two feet over or more. My pet peave is that they left out the hardest and most important part of sniping, range and wind estimation. I could dial a scope in for any of you and tell you to point and a target and squeeze the trigger.

Upvote 0
If your taget is sprinting and about 150-200 yards away...you will lead about a second and a half ahead...or about 15 feet. Its Very hard to tell someone how to aquire this skill. Its Self discovered. Youll begin to feel when the shot should be taken. The best place to practice is Barashka...Prop yourself in the radio house and take shots off as they are coming out of their spawn...ive gotten to where i can take 2 out of 3 of the guys that dash to their respected ammo dump. Also use the bridge to gadge your distance...as guys run accross the bridge take shots off. And NEVER use the Semi-autos...they are a waste of ammo and effort. Believe me. and yes the semi have their place on certain maps...but a bolt action is ALWAYS more accurate and Mobile

Ok, if your target is 300 meters or less you don't use a lead. Starting at 400 meters and every 100 meters after that you use a lead. At 400 you just use a "sliver of light". In other words, there should be a very small space between the post and target when you fire. There's NO guessing about it. In RL you practice shots on moving targets and known ranges and you record your leads in your data book. There's no supernatural "feeling" about it.

Upvote 0
Love the manual that's a great find and a wonderful resource

I completely agree with you but would like to add that a well placed sniper can stop an advancing enemy troops in their tracks and hold them ill support arrives to secure the location (or enemy support arrives to take you out) is okay not to take a shot in order to conceal your position but I always try weight the cost- How many of my guys will he/they kill if I don

Upvote 0
From what I could understand of that, I believe you are trying to disagree with me? If you want to be the sniper that sits behind and doesn't help his team, that's your perogative. But I personally team wound people I find adding nothing to the battlefield other than taking up space. As I said, a lousy sniper can only defend. It takes a true sharpshooter to advance with his team and lend support.

If you want to run n gun, you need to leave the sniper rifle to people that are going to use it correctly and effectively. It is not an assault weapon, its for support in most cases.

Upvote 0
300 yards? I'm usually a bit behind the line, but not by a whole lot.

I'm a subscriber to the more modern Soviet/Russian doctrine on snipers: use them in a support role, much like an MG.

The farthest you should probably be from the action is 300 yards. I like to keep it within 100, depending on my teammates' positions. Usually I play 20 or so yards behind them. If you're a lot farther back from your teammates, your enemies can get angles to fire on them that are covered from a sniper that's sitting 300+ yards away. The only time I've taken shots that far was on Barashka, and even then, rarely (since it tends to get you spanked by armor.)

Semi-auto rifle whenever available. Absolutely. But then, that kind of goes in with my way of using the sniper class.

Some variations: I'll move and flank to pick off targets on certain maps. On Basovka as Axis, after AT falls I'll move far up on the right (north?) side to some rocks that give good cover and support for my weapon. It's a good spot to pick off the enemy commander and MG, and sometimes the sniper. It also works for picking off incoming reinforcements.

There's no ONE way to do it, I guess is my point. Sometimes it's best to help out your teammates by being just behind them as a supporting marksman, others (but more rarely, IMO - keeping teammates alive and enemies dead is the way to win) you're going to be more effective by going off on your own and doing what gives snipers their name.

I realize that nations teach their army's different, but snipers aren't that different, country to country. Having worked with snipers from more than just a few countries, it is standard doctrine to teach not to engage under 300 meters, not including urban terrain. A designated marksmen and a sniper are two VERY different soldiers and shouldn't be mistaken for each other.

Upvote 0
If you want to run n gun, you need to leave the sniper rifle to people that are going to use it correctly and effectively. It is not an assault weapon, its for support in most cases.
Teehee, untrue. Wait until [=KAS=]doomed gets one - he's like Rambo + Terminator + a third ball.

He usually is in first place as a sniper, but he rarely snipes.

Upvote 0
I think the most important aspect of sniping is locking down an area and stopping reinforcements from entering a capzone. I do this whenever I can as a sniper on Danzig. I remember two nights ago I was on the Russians and I was shooting Germans repeatedly trying to get into the Command Center from the second story entrance that faces the long corridor of the sniper building. From my position I could nail anyone running perpendicular to me, in the doorways, or in the door down the stairs near the wine cellar. Great fun.

Upvote 0
Team Sport

Team Sport

I totally agree that the sniper rifle should not be use by run 'n' gunners. A player's score does not always reflect how effectively they are helping their team unless the other team runs out of reinforcements. If a German sniper in Stalingrad only gets 5 kills, but each kill prevented the Russian sapper from blowing the Rail Yard Wall, then he has almost single handedly prevented the Russians from taking the rail yard. Running along with the boys as a sniper is about as ineffective as trying to run'n'gun with an MG42. Think of a sniper as you would a safety in football, not many tackles, not much pass rushing but like everyone else, he has a specific function that is fundiamental to the team's success. And for God's sake ... stop killing your own team mate just to get the sniper rifle ... it happens to me all the time and while these guys usually get kicked they can really ruin the fun for everyone. If you want the gun just ask for it, if you get no reply or a "no" answer, just wait ... I'm sure its not the last game you will ever play. Honestly, I've been in the top 4 on the scorebord as a rifleman on many bords just by knowing how to do my job. Riflemen should resupply MG's, use nades and protect MG's as well as providing long range suppressing fire, drawing enemy fire (something almost noone does) and clubbing and gutting up close in the room-to-room fighting (like in Danzig). If you don't like the role selection ... find another server, a good gamer is a versitile gamer.

Upvote 0
What to do when ordinary soldiers engaged by a sniper...

What to do when ordinary soldiers engaged by a sniper...

Hello, I am new here. I have seen lots of advice on how to be a good sniper but how about some tips for the other players that are engaged by the sniper?

The few years I spent in the military didn't give me ALL the answers so I decided to look it up.

WHEN ENGAGED BY A SNIPER:
COVER! SMOKE! RELOCATE! RETURN FIRE! WITHDRAWL/ADVANCE!

• Take cover and use holes in the the ground and hide in shadows.
  • When under cover, pop smoke and relocate by moving fast at a highly kept phase, keeping low, in a unpredictable zig-zag pattern.
  • Localize his position by observing the impact and listening for the direction of the shot fired (the crack/thump method probably not too useful in this game).
  • Fire back primary with grenade launchers and machine gun fire, a snipers engagement point lies often beyond the effective range of an ordinary Assault Rifle.
  • Ask for backup and draw down indirect fire and storm the snipers position by attacking his flank, NEVER go head on.
  • Use your own sniper or marksman.
  • Remember that the sniper is NEVER alone and that his position might be boobytrapped. He might be trying to lure you into an ambush. NEVER panic or act hastely, remember that it's not a ghost. A sniper is a mortal and he can both bleed and die.

Upvote 0
I've only been playing this game for about a week, having drifted in here from the less than satisfactory COD2, and so far I am truly amazed at the level of realism this game offers.

I am both an active reenactor (WW2, WW1 and Romanian War of Independence) and a sniper for one of the Bucharest based airsoft clubs.
That being said, I can wouch that this is the closest to a real rifle that I've seen sofar in a game, especially for the MN 1891/30 and M38 we regularly use in our reenactments.

Especially Kudos for the dev team on implementing the "re-load" animation- heaven only knows how many times I've had to push reluctant cartiges into the rifle...

But back to the subject of this thread.

As a sniper in real life, I of course opt for this class when playing, but I noticed a distressing fact- on most of the "infantry" maps, the distances present are totally inapropoiate for a scoped rifle.

Especially in urban environments like Danzig, the best weapon you can use is the basic infantry rifle. That, of course, means you still have to comply to the guidelines listed above in this thread, but the unscoped weapon gives you the advantage of higher mobility and a wider FOV while in an ambush position.

However, when trying to make use of my real-world experience in the game I became paintfully aware of the fact that whoever designed the maps wasn't that used at thinking like a sniper, as there are some great spots (on Danzig for example) that are either impossible to get into or impossible to get out of, resulting in your getting stuck in the geometry of the level.

The best place to use a sniper rifle is actually on the combined arms-tank maps (if available) because of the ample spaces and generous hide opportunities in the form of ruins and vegetation. Some of the custom maps are especially good at that, and I've had great sniper-only games on maps such as "Lakelands-Night".

Even on maps that have no scoped weaponry on them, a trained sniper can use a basic rifle to achieve basically the same effect of disorientation/suppresion on the enemy.
Some of the best examples are "Snowy forest" where a single german sniper can hold off the line (I had one of my best nights there, with rarely having to shoot a second time, so much so that eventually the players on the russian side left in disgust) and "The road to hill B4" where playing as a strelok I sucessfully managed to out-flank the german position, making it easy for my team-mates to storm the top.

However, the best shots I got sofar were on two custom maps I don't remember the names of. (one had a huge yard with barracks, guard towers and a round castle-like structure in the middle with a radio on it, and the other one had as objectives a "mortar position", "Ammo dump" "abandoned bunker" and "church", the terrain being made up of small rolling hills and wheat fields with the occasional forest)

On the first one, I played as a russian and kept a close watch on the castle structure, where from time to time some germans would try to sneak up and call out arty on our position. On one ocasion I was hiding in a bush near the top of the hill that obscures our spawn-point from view (On my previous life I had been camped on the other side of the compound at about 300 meters from the castle but got spotted and artied to death) and shot from about 1000 meters hitting the german in the head. The shot was sligtly angled up, and elevation was about 1 centimeter on the screen (17' monitor, textured "all black" scope) meaning that the middle "post" of the sight blocked my view of the target completely (for some time I also had a similar WW1 vintage German scope on my airsoft rifle but eventually swithed to a "regular" 30-30 4X32).

The second shot is really the one I'm really proud of. I was capping the abandoned bunker point, lying on top of it amid some sand bags (simmilar arangement to the top of the command bunker on Basovka) and spotted a Russian tank in the distance, whose commander was negligently popping up of the turret while examining our positions on the mortar site with binocs. The distance was about 1200m, meaning I could barely see the guy on top of the tank. I took careful aim, and missed, but managed to see where the shot impacted the side armour.
Amazingly, the guy continued to stand there, so I fired a second shot, this time with about 1.5 cm of elevation (also screen distance) To my surprise, it hit home, eventhough the vertical "post" of my scope obscured my view of the whole tank!

Well, that being said, good hunting and I look forward in meeting you on the battlefield.
And don't forget- smile, you're being watched!

Upvote 0
There's also another type of sniping you can do - on Combined Arms maps, you can play as a russian anti-tank gunner and use your PTRD to hit infantry at insane ranges. It's amazingly acurate, because the high muzle velocities mean less bullet drop and at the same time make the projectile get faster to it's target.

Other than that, there is even one dedicated sniper server visit (www.evil-minds.com), but be advised it's for experienced snipers, and has very strict rules. Runnig and wandering around aimlessly are expressly forbidden. (and bloody stupid to do in an all-sniper environment, anyway)

Last edited:
Upvote 0