• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Smokescreen: some ppl CAN see through it

- Russians got shot from behind the smokescreen and not in the smokescreen (where you can distinguish shades)
- each burst meant a kill. I spectated him, and it was very suspicious
When you shoot though the smokescreen with burst fire and someone IS on the other end of the smoke you're bound to him someone and if I remember correctly almost any single bullet can kill with the MG-34. Shooting into the smokescreen means you will kill people who were unfortunate enough to be in the line of fire.

Which is why the ideal smoke position is frequently not between you and the enemy position, but on the enemy position.
It's not always doable. That's why I often miss two smoke grenades for squad leaders - when I use one to get into better position (because there is no other way) I often find myself without important second smoke to throw it directly on the enemy position and squad leaders cooperating to put their smokes that way is a sight I have yet to see.

Upvote 0
I have been suspicious about this at times, but I've neither spectated the person or have proof otherwise. All I know is that there is an abnormal amount of bodies spread out and dead (including me) for someone firing from the other side of a smoke screen. Maybe they were just 'lucky.'

Personally, I cannot see on the other side of a smoke screen, but at times can distinquish a player moving (and whose side because how they carry weapons) while they are in it and have even gotten several kills. Very rarely when on an mg, I have even prayed and sprayed in desperate situations and gotten a kill thru a smokescreen.

Still, I try not to rage when the OPs situation occurs because I really have no proof and it could just be luck.

Upvote 0
Actually short smoke can help the defenders as the attackers run into a blind spot.Then appear in the open directly in the enemies line of sight. In fact I have seen defensive smoke used this way.Luring the enemy into a kill zone and a false sense of security.Just to be gunned down as they exit the smoke.

Yeah, that's a very good use of defensive smoke, which sadly so many defenders neglect. I rarely even see smoke deployed by the defenders.

I do see it done plenty by attackers, despite it being probably the worst place for it.

Although I've also seen defenders smoke their own position, mostly on Mamayev. Sadly, some people do more damage to their own team with smoke than they ever could with frags...

Upvote 0
With half decent map knowledge and knowing where the filthy ivans like to run.
just emptying my beltfeed mg34 into smoke i can tend to get a few of them ivans.

its not like i dont have predator vision or somthing :rolleyes:

if the russians do keep running though the same "lanes" as there fallen comrades then they just get cut down. mostly it is just map knowledge, luck, and russians that dont learn from their mistakes.

Upvote 0
With half decent map knowledge and knowing where the filthy ivans like to run.
just emptying my beltfeed mg34 into smoke i can tend to get a few of them ivans.

its not like i dont have predator vision or somthing :rolleyes:

if the russians do keep running though the same "lanes" as there fallen comrades then they just get cut down. mostly it is just map knowledge, luck, and russians that dont learn from their mistakes.

Your right as a german on alot maps you do not need to see the russians you just need to spray the exits to the russian spawns
On alot of the maps the lay out is just so bad you do not need to see the russians as a MG
but back to the point there has been a few people using hacks the last few weeks

Upvote 0
Your right as a german on alot maps you do not need to see the russians you just need to spray the exits to the russian spawns
On alot of the maps the lay out is just so bad you do not need to see the russians as a MG
but back to the point there has been a few people using hacks the last few weeks

A lot of crying wolf about hacks in games, but everybody has likely seen some situations where they suspect foul play. Being hit in unusual circumstances; players killstreaking and suddenly tearing up the leaderboard. Not all are easily explained.

This needs to be aggressively managed; in a game like RO2 with a small player community and one-shot weapons, cheaters can wreak havoc. There's a sense of denial that it could happen in RO2. I would say don't be so naive; it's competitive, and where you have competition, you have cheats.

Upvote 0
A lot of crying wolf about hacks in games, but everybody has likely seen some situations where they suspect foul play. Being hit in unusual circumstances; players killstreaking and suddenly tearing up the leaderboard. Not all are easily explained.

This needs to be aggressively managed; in a game like RO2 with a small player community and one-shot weapons, cheaters can wreak havoc. There's a sense of denial that it could happen in RO2. I would say don't be so naive; it's competitive, and where you have competition, you have cheats.
I have not noticed any hackers during my play

and i have easily over 500 hours in the multiplayer

but i must admit i do only play on a couple of servers 40-1 Realism, and classic
and those servers are quite well managed

i have been accused of being a "hacker bastard" on quite a few occasions but they are generally when i spray around a corner with out looking first just because i know there are enemies about.
most of that is just map knowledge, or thinking on your feet.

other occasions have been when i have been sitting up on the roof of the second to last defense point for the germans in Pavlov's house. just picking of all the germans rushing to retake C, with out thinking (more often then not my own team the russians kill me then the germans when i am in that postion).

Upvote 0
I have not noticed any hackers during my play

and i have easily over 500 hours in the multiplayer

but i must admit i do only play on a couple of servers 40-1 Realism, and classic
and those servers are quite well managed

i have been accused of being a "hacker bastard" on quite a few occasions but they are generally when i spray around a corner with out looking first just because i know there are enemies about.
most of that is just map knowledge, or thinking on your feet.

other occasions have been when i have been sitting up on the roof of the second to last defense point for the germans in Pavlov's house. just picking of all the germans rushing to retake C, with out thinking (more often then not my own team the russians kill me then the germans when i am in that postion).

i have over 1400 hours just on RO2
plus 2000 hours on RO
i have seen hacks but they are few and far between
Most of the time people yell hack it is on the maps with bad lay outs
there small areas the other team has to run thought ,all you need to do is shoot in that area most of the time you will get kills even if they throw smoke just spay that area
on better layed out maps it doesn't work

Upvote 0
I think people don't realize that improperly positioned smoke can actually HIGHLIGHT the silhouettes of people advancing through it, making any MG's job a breeze.

Usually those are the ones where the squad leader throws the smoke way way too short of any objective or line of advance. Turns into a killing field when they emerge out of the smoke.

Upvote 0
I think people don't realize that improperly positioned smoke can actually HIGHLIGHT the silhouettes of people advancing through it, making any MG's job a breeze.

I don't think that's what the OP is describing. It may be coincidence, but some of the most egregious behaviour in game has originated from machine gunners, and it's always Apartments or Barracks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think that's what the OP is describing. It may be coincidence, but some of the most egregious behaviour in game has originated from machine gunners, and it's always Apartments or Barracks.

Again, failure of others to adapt to gameplay does not make ones behavior egregious. LACK OF TEAMWORK IS THE NUMBER ONE REASON TEAMS GET OWNED BY THE OPPOSING TEAMS MACHINE GUNNERS...PERIOD...if you are trying to be Johnny Rambo against an experienced MG'er, you are going to lose every time

Upvote 0
Again, failure of others to adapt to gameplay does not make ones behavior egregious. LACK OF TEAMWORK IS THE NUMBER ONE REASON TEAMS GET OWNED BY THE OPPOSING TEAMS MACHINE GUNNERS...PERIOD...if you are trying to be Johnny Rambo against an experienced MG'er, you are going to lose every time

I'm talking about the opposite. Gunners strolling - literally strolling - their way around apartments hip firing everyone into oblivion. It doesn't happen often but just once in a while you'll see it.

Upvote 0
I'm talking about the opposite. Gunners strolling - literally strolling - their way around apartments hip firing everyone into oblivion. It doesn't happen often but just once in a while you'll see it.

Point blank engagements with MGs generally don't go too well unless you have total surprise on your side. Especially with a map like apartments, where mid to long range engagements are rare to non-existent

Upvote 0
There are a few people that are pretty good at hipfiring the MG at mid range and it is pretty cheesy..I hate seeing that...and like you say it happens from time to time especially on Apartments. Suks, but thats the way it goes I guess. Cya on the battlefield (from long range of course)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well at least MG's now have to slow to a walk when hipfiring. I've already noticed that definitely helps. I think if you added having to right click to brace the weapon against your hip before you fire, that would pretty much solve it.

Except for the cases where you don't want to deploy but want to hip-fire and you get stuck on a wall deployed. That method is not without it's issues.

Upvote 0
I also think that a select few can see through smoke, at least better than some other players. My proof? Sometimes I will be shot in what I consider and impossible situation.

I always then quickly look at the scoreboard to see if that player has a large number of kills and I have almost always found that no, from the kills it doesnt seem that this player is racking up kills faster than anybody else, so I usually put it down to lucky shot, or those special angles through smoke that you get where you can see the outline through it, etc.

On a similar topic, have they fixed the 'I can see through vegetation' thing yet?

Upvote 0