• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Slow Death: Death screams make no sense

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
The voices in RO2/RS are some of the finest examples of voice acting in any game ever made. However, they way they are implemented in the slow death animation really makes no sense and it breaks the immersion quite often. Here is how it currently works:

Character enters slow death animation > begins uttering his last few words
Player actually dies > previous phrase is cancelled, and a loud "agh!" is emitted as the player falls over, as if he has been shot again.

I'm quite sure now that this is how it works every time a soldier enters the slow death animation, regardless of whether or not he is shot a second time. It's not a very good way of increasing immersion. Here's a better way to improve atmosphere:

Character enters slow death animation > begins uttering his last few words
IF the player is not shot > the soldier should finish saying his last few words
IF the player is shot > the soldier should fall over silently

I don't know if this is just a minor design oversight that has gone unnoticed for years, or a sound bug, or something else, but I have put this in the suggestions subforum.

i've also witnessed teammates getting insta-killed but still uttering their final words in a pretty strong voice. whilst lying in a pool of blood, obviously dead or at least unconscious.

similar to the ro2 test video where a guy completely decapitates a teammate from point-blank range with an at-rifle and the beheaded guy gasps and gurgles as if he still had a mouth and was struggling to live.

twi, please fix that.

Upvote 0