• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Shogun 2: Total War

Well I sure hope so, because E: TW naval battles were nothing short of frustrating for me. "Why are you still turning???? STOP TURNING....YOUR BOW IS NOT SUPPOSED TO FACE THE ENEMY >_<"

LOL exactly! I could never accomplish the same level of control of my ships as I could my foot soldiers. It was just frustrating!

Upvote 0
LOL exactly! I could never accomplish the same level of control of my ships as I could my foot soldiers. It was just frustrating!

I always autoresolved it. I honestly don't care if I lost battles easily, winning was not worth the chore of naval battles in real time. Especially since the damn boats won't do what I tell them (or act like complete idiots while doing what I said)

Upvote 0
I always autoresolved it. I honestly don't care if I lost battles easily, winning was not worth the chore of naval battles in real time. Especially since the damn boats won't do what I tell them (or act like complete idiots while doing what I said)

I wish I could do that in online campaigns. I am currently in an online campaign with a buddy, I'm Britain and he is France. Funny, I hate naval warfare in TW. ... What was I thinking?

Upvote 0
A Viking: Total War would be utter brilliance, but I doubt it'll happen.

To be fair, the MTW1 expansion was titled Viking Invasion... and heavily featured them ;)

Anyways, I've been a long standing fan of the total war series, having played everyone (except napoleon, oddly). And I must say I've enjoyed every single one. Sometimes there have been regressions in places, but for the most part everything has moved forwards.

The battle AI gets a lot of flak, and for good reason. If you looked at posts in many of the total war forums you'd think the battle AI has got worse since shogun, when in fact really it has got better. It's just the case that everything has has greatly advanced in both complexity and quality... and the battle AI has only stumbled forwards a tad.

On the plus side, while the battle AI hasn't improved much, the diplomacy/strategic AI has massively improved in my experience. Take alliances and diplomacy in general. In stw it was literally meaningless. In mtw1, it would sometimes seem to have a tiny effect, but generally did nothing. In rtw it could sometimes make an impact, but was still erratic and often defied logic. Now mtw2, it started to make a lot more sense with far less illogical backstabs, and with nations often sueing for peace rather than be wiped out. And by empire... I could *shock horror*, actually depend on logically sound alliances to hold up for decades and shape the world.

Anyways, this is turning into a mindless ramble ;). I for one am glad to see Shogun get another go. I was a huge fan of the original. It had great atmosphere, especially when combined with the fantastic music and videos. And speaking of music...

YouTube - Shogun TW: 7-Miharu Hill

Upvote 0
I wish I could do that in online campaigns. I am currently in an online campaign with a buddy, I'm Britain and he is France. Funny, I hate naval warfare in TW. ... What was I thinking?

Yeah, Prussia is my personal favorite for online; few naval battles, loadsa land battles, and plenty of technology. The British can crush AI easily, but often lead to annoying naval battles. Of course, if you wanted annoying naval battles, you would have played the Dutch campaign:D

If Prussia is unavailable, I would choose anything but France, Spain, or the Dutch, if you want to evade naval battles. The Marathas have some nice potential....

Upvote 0
Its also 6GB in size .... pretty hefty for a demo.
It's a great demo though -- much better than any previous Total War demo. It gives you one historical battle and an entire mini campaign to play (though the game limits you to 3 real time battles). Oh yeah, and tutorials to go along with it.

I "beat" the demo and it took me about 3 hours ... pretty awesome and well worth the 5 gigs. They clearly made big improvements to the AI and castle sieges -- basically all the annoyances of Empire were gone from what I could see.

The game also ran smoother, though definitely chugged for me in the really big battles. This is disappointing given my big beefy rig, but I have heard that Creative Assembly has had legal issues with Nvidia ever since Empire came out, and thus most Nvidia cards run like trash on their latest games.

Upvote 0
The game also ran smoother, though definitely chugged for me in the really big battles. This is disappointing given my big beefy rig, but I have heard that Creative Assembly has had legal issues with Nvidia ever since Empire came out, and thus most Nvidia cards run like trash on their latest games.

Well, my ATI performs horribly Empire and Napoleon. So If neither ATI nor nvidia run them properly, I wonder what does.

Upvote 0
what ati card are you running? I'm running a gtx 260 896mb.

x1950xt =)

Edit:
The main problem is the campaign map, it shutters and screws up the audio and everything, its just unbearable. The battle itself works fine.

It worked ok when I bought Empire, its probably the last driver(1 year old) that screwed it up. And my card is not supported by ATI anymore, so I don't think there will ever be a fix.

Last edited:
Upvote 0