• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shellshock replacer.

Everybody knows you won't get any blur when a explosion comes near.
You might have a short semi-concussion but not a blurry vision.

The ringing of your ears is true, as many might have noticed of simple fireworks.
Sometimes, you'll be deaf for the rest of your live.

But, I have found something interesting to replace shellshock.

Falling. Yes, that is it. Simply falling.

You fall and drop your weapon, your perspective will look upwards.
You can get up at anytime by pressing your crouch/standup key.

After that you can pickup your gun and fight on.
That is, if you weren't touched by shrapnel.

So what do you think, it is good enough to beat the arcady shellshock feature.

Btw. shellshock isn't even the appropiate name for this effect, 'cause shellshock is a phychological malfunction in which you have the same effect of internal bleeding and a permanent concussion.

I like the fallingdown, but the blurry vision, is to compensate the confusion of your balance organe in your ears. You'll feel like spinning around. So i think it should stay in. But adding falling down would be nice (although i'm not a fan of losing your weapon. Atleast it should fall right next to you and you should keep your clips.

Falling down after being shot at certain area's would be cool aswell.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
I like the fallingdown, but the blurry vision, is to compensate the confusion of your balance organe in your ears. You'll feel like spinning around. So i think it should stay in. But adding falling down would be nice
Hmmm... That makes a point, well what about losing blurry vision and adding real distortion of the perspective.
Which makes the screen moving from right to left, from left to right and both through eachother simulating your balance organ while your vision actually is straight ahead.

I know UE2.5 has this feature and the Xbox game Unreal Championship 2 really makes use of it.

distortion.jpg

In this screen its actually on the water, but it can also be done on large full-screen scale.
Of course its post-processing and I know alot of developers want to do most things real-time but it's a cool effect.

Zetsumei said:
(although i'm not a fan of losing your weapon)
Atleast it should fall right next to you and you should keep your clips.
Yes of course, you only let go off things you hold in your hands ;)
The clips, secondary weapon and other loot will remain on its place ;)

Actually I'm not fan of losing weapons in hectic multiplayer games too, but I think more games ought to do this more often.
Zetsumei said:
Falling down after being shot at certain area's would be cool aswell.
Yeah, it happens a lot.

Mostly because you scare yourself to hell, which instinctively makes you want to duck, but you don't duck.
Instead you actually collapse out of panic.

Would be cool too, but on an online-game would make it tricky.
For singleplayer its a different story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Avron said:
I don't have any problems with the shellshock effect. But adding ear-ringing and falling (esp. after a hit in the leg) would be nice.
I don't have problems wit hit either.

But it's not realistic either.
In CoD they added blur effects, and slow-movement.

But actually real-time distortion was impossible at the Quake 3 engine.
So every game copied CoD from that point.

But actually the smack you get from an explosion can reach pressures up to thousands of Pa/M

Upvote 0
Another possibility (and less graphics intensive) is to have the camera "stumble" to simulate shellshock. For example:

A shell goes off to the right of the player. Their camera view immeadiately jerks to the left and down, while the weapon sways back and forth. Then the camera slowly moves back to the original position while the sway normalizes.

Shellshock to the back or front would throw the player forward, shellshock to the sides would throw them in the opposite direction from the blast. The proximity of the blast would dictate how severely they are thrown, as well as how long it takes to recover.

The advantage would be that the player wouldn't experience slowdown and lag from the increased blur, and inflict a much greater aim and movement penalty. Right now blur only keeps you from making out long range targets, but you can still fire your gun straight.

However, falling should only be for extremely close-range explosions (<5m), and only from "heavy caliber" explosions, like artillery and tank shells. Grenades simply lack the concussive punch to throw someone to the ground unless they're standing on it, and then they have other problems. Even the general artillery ingame, which seems like 75-105 mm, would lose most of its concussive force quickly over distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One of the things that I like about DODS is how they handle shell shock. Very realistic IMO (It looks very much like what I saw when I was unexpectedly nailed in the side of the head with a soccer ball, took a few seconds to get oriented again). Making the weapon fade out and having the players view jerked around for a second (with a tad bit of blur) works wonders.

Upvote 0
FYROM said:
Another possibility (and less graphics intensive) is to have the camera "stumble" to simulate shellshock. For example:

A shell goes off to the right of the player. Their camera view immeadiately jerks to the left and down, while the weapon sways back and forth. Then the camera slowly moves back to the original position while the sway normalizes.

Shellshock to the back or front would throw the player forward, shellshock to the sides would throw them in the opposite direction from the blast. The proximity of the blast would dictate how severely they are thrown, as well as how long it takes to recover.

The advantage would be that the player wouldn't experience slowdown and lag from the increased blur, and inflict a much greater aim and movement penalty. Right now blur only keeps you from making out long range targets, but you can still fire your gun straight.

However, falling should only be for extremely close-range explosions (<5m), and only from "heavy caliber" explosions, like artillery and tank shells. Grenades simply lack the concussive punch to throw someone to the ground unless they're standing on it, and then they have other problems. Even the general artillery ingame, which seems like 75-105 mm, would lose most of its concussive force quickly over distance.
Good plan too, either way don't make it arcady like they did in CoD and BiA.

Upvote 0
Zell said:
Ohh yes, Hyperion, I like DOD:S's system too. For those of you who hate Steam/DOD, it copies exactly the image on the screen, blurs it just a tad, and then overlays it on what you're actually seeing as a still image. Then it blurs out, and you can slowly see how you're moving again. It's quite disorienting.

I'm with Zell. I like DoD Source's version.

Upvote 0
Zell said:
Ohh yes, Hyperion, I like DOD:S's system too. For those of you who hate Steam/DOD, it copies exactly the image on the screen, blurs it just a tad, and then overlays it on what you're actually seeing as a still image. Then it blurs out, and you can slowly see how you're moving again. It's quite disorienting.
You mean like seeing thing double?!?!

Sounds good too...

Upvote 0
This discussion reminds me of an old "Red Screen" discussion from the old forums. When you got wounded/shot in RO the screen would red-out a little, and of course there were some who didn't approve. No, it isn't realistic, because when you get shot, you don't get red vision.
You do however get mildly distracted by the hot lead that is passing/passed through your body. This is what was represented by the red-out. After being shot, your chances of being 100% effective are decreased. So the screen was there to distract or annoy.

It's similar with the grenade shake, because if a grenade goes off close quarters, you aren't going to be able to concentrate fully. The blur represents this.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN said:
Um, no. For the love of God, please don't use DoD's retarded shellshock. These aren't flashbangs going off.
The thing is that its not a FB, as I said in my post it simply adds to the disorientation. You cant ACTUALLY hit a player in the back of the head and completely confuse his brain as to where he is facing. Therefore you have to use something like DODS has to have the same "disorienting" effect on the brain, and lemmi tell ya, if you want realism you want something like this.

Upvote 0