• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharp is overpowered.

Ihmhi

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
www.asseater.org
I've been playing on my clan's (and other) servers a good lot lately, and I see too many damn Sharpshooters. I've seen games that are 5 Sharpshooters and myself as anything but.

If you look at [AE]'s server stats, the top maps this week are currently:

1) Arcade Shopping Center FINAL
2) defence_b2
3) prison
4) West London
5) Biotics Lab

Most of these maps are arguably snipefests.

As it stands now Sharp has nothing to fear so long as he has the almighty Crossbow or M14. There's nothing he has a weakness to except if things get too close, but the cracked-out damage that a high-level Sharp deals negates this anyway.

I'm starting to get really sick of it, they're making my (current) favorite game boring. :(

ITT:

• complaining about Sharps 1-shotting FPs and Scrakes (removing the challenge & fun)
  • complaining about abundance of Sharps
  • complaining about lack of weaknesses for Sharp

Reactions: trick
Yup. Sharpshooters are overpowered but atleast it needs some skill to actually aim at the head.

I suggest that sharps get a nerf. OR atleast the can take more damage that the other characters.

Snipers are stereotypically like that.. Long range but weak up close and has little defence.

Upvote 0
There's nothing he has a weakness to except if things get too close

When you have the M14, there is no such weakness.

Sharpshooter really needs to be nerfed. They should decrease the amount of magazines from M14 and lower the damage dealt in my opinion. Or anything, I don't care what but I don't want to see Xbow popping the heads off from the hardest specimens from the game just like that..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey all, just started playing a week ago or so. i have most of my perks up to like level 3 or 4 now, and i haven't noticed one that is overly powerful in comparison to another... i feel like when i have an M14 there's always someone with a katana lopping heads of immediately. or if i have the auto shotty, i always see someone with an M14 trying to run past me to get more kills because i'm just racking them up. isn't the top weapon for every class really powerful? the only one i don't care for that much is the SCAR because of the kick, but even then it does a lot better than the M14 in close range. the crossbow is definitely not overpowered... the reload rate and rate of fire alone make it good for ONLY shooting boss characters from afar (husks, skrakes and FPs)...

i just feel like every class has a super powerful weapon... auto shotgun, 6 round grenade launcher, SCAR, katana, flamethrower, they all kill pretty well IMO

Upvote 0
Sharpshooter's M14 and lvl 6 made commando class completely obsolete. Laser specifically enables sharpshooters to quickly kill close targets more than any other class.

But, i don't know if it's overpowered because it does take skill to use sharpshooters, even for close up laser.

Upvote 0
M14 weighs 5 kg and the crossbow weighs 10 kg, which means you can't use both at the same time.

You either have 1 shot FP kills (which requires you to stand still, be supported by other classes removing the Zeds running around, and aim for the head...missing equals another 3-4 seconds lost)

Or you have the all around more versatile weapon, the M14. I think all of you are missing the evident balance of the class and you're just upset that it is fulfilling its potential.

The only change I can see as necessary is an increase in the number of headshots required to take down big game but, honestly, do you have to aim with the Commando/Firebug/Support/Demolitions? No, you don't, Sharpshooter is the only class that has to aim and if they don't get headshots consistently they're not fulfilling their class potential.

Upvote 0
Pre-patch, the Sharpshooter had limitations. A common weapon loadout was the crossbow and dual handcannons. The crossbow (arguably a bit too strong even then, just not as noticeable) had ammo limitations, and couldn't be fired too quickly. The handcannons were used to take out specimens that got too close/when things got crowded. They are powerful but share the same capacity limitation as the crossbow.

In all, the Sharpshooters weapons all shared a couple common attributes: powerful (headshots especially), limited on ammo and, barring the dual handcannons, their main weapons did have some sort of impediment in their fire rate. The LAR had to be levered, and the crossbow had to be loaded after each shot.

The M14 EBR is powerful and is not limited by ammo or a somewhat-slow fire rate. So its introduction has made Sharpshooter a class with no flaws (from what I can tell).
EDIT: going with what I said in my Ideas and Suggestions thread, the M14 EBR does fill a niche. But it fills it too well, or something. I think if the weapons clip size is lowered (more reloads), it might help. Ten sounds like a reasonable number. Going too low makes it a pain in the ***.

I think we could lower the clip size and/or the maximum carryable ammo. That might solve some of the problem.

Also, sort-of related, doesn't the crossbow have additional headshot damage no matter what class you are? I think that should either be toned down to regular headshot level if you aren't a Sharpshooter. That and, fleshounds shouldn't be dying from one crossbow bolt. That's lame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think all of you are missing the evident balance of the class and you're just upset that it is fulfilling its potential.

When you see a group of all sharpshooters completely wipe out a map on suicidal like it's nothing, zeds never even come close, and it's a pub, well. I think you have no idea of what balance is about, and are just upset your favorite class is in bad need of a nerf.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it was a useless class at first and now is overpowered?

I remember the same thing happened, you stacked a team of 6 high level Supports and did the same thing.

SS is just more popular now because of the new weapon. I get more kills as a demo than the sharpshooters... that means the demo is even more overpowered?, or just that each class has its role but unfortunately SS role can win if stacked. As for me, I tend to take a non used class, cause I like variety, but imo SS is good as it is

Time to boost the firebug instead, he doesn't receive enough love, and add a claymore for the berserker =)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M14 weighs 5 kg and the crossbow weighs 10 kg, which means you can't use both at the same time.

You either have 1 shot FP kills (which requires you to stand still, be supported by other classes removing the Zeds running around, and aim for the head...missing equals another 3-4 seconds lost)

Or you have the all around more versatile weapon, the M14. I think all of you are missing the evident balance of the class and you're just upset that it is fulfilling its potential.

The only change I can see as necessary is an increase in the number of headshots required to take down big game but, honestly, do you have to aim with the Commando/Firebug/Support/Demolitions? No, you don't, Sharpshooter is the only class that has to aim and if they don't get headshots consistently they're not fulfilling their class potential.

You are clearly just ignorant.

So you can't wield the Crossbow and M14 together. Yes, this is very true. YOU on the other hand are 1 slot from a team of 6. As the Crossbow is capable of 1 shotting Fleshpounds and Scrakes even on 6man Suicidal, why does it matter? 1-2 Crossbowers to cover killing all Fleshies, Scrakes and Husks and the rest of the team sticks with M14 and just tear everything else a new 1. M14 has too much ammo, you don't even need to aim particularly well and can just spam multiple shots at Gorefasts and you'll still finish the wave with ammo on a 6man Hard.

And of course theres the fact M14 can do a pretty good job at solo'ing Fleshies/Scrakes anyway, its just not as safe. The M14 has no real weakness'.

As for 'not fulfilling your potential'? You still get bonus damage on non-headshots for Sharpshooter, infact you get a similar amount of bonus damage as the other perks do normally, getting a Headshot enhances this even more. Just as you still aim for the head with non-Sharpshooter perks because it does more. M14 is not the 9mm Pistol, not getting a headshot doesn't do minimal damage, it still hurts.

Fedarov... if you think the Sharpy was useless before the update you are clearly not worth replying to.

Upvote 0
Fedarov... if you think the Sharpy was useless before the update you are clearly not worth replying to.

read again and try to understand before dropping such a derogatory sentence

I'm just stating what people here complained since the release of this game (and I'm not included). should have added a "make up your minds" to the end of the sentence, as it seems that sarcasm is not a forte here.

And its not Fedarov

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sharpshooter is overpowered. Berserker is far underpowered. That's about it.

And though you can't CARRY the M-14 and Crossbow at the same time, you can toss one down somewhere, buy the other, head to where you dropped the one (Usually a spot where your team will be holding) and switch between them almost at will. With a non-noob team that won't steal your weapons, it's as good as having both!

Upvote 0
I've been playing on my clan's (and other) servers a good lot lately, and I see too many damn Sharpshooters. I've seen games that are 5 Sharpshooters and myself as anything but.

If you look at [AE]'s server stats, the top maps this week are currently:

1) Arcade Shopping Center FINAL
2) defence_b2
3) prison
4) West London
5) Biotics Lab

Most of these maps are arguably snipefests.

great findings!! you have found out the true secret of KF: most players suck and thus love maps with great camping spots!

Upvote 0