• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shaky ironsight

Crusher

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Belgium
When a soldier fights in the snow, in water or in the rain I doubt his hands would stay still like in ROOST besides the breathing sway.
If you're in a cold environment, being supressed, have shellshock, etc. I would suggest your ironsights would become as shakey as a guy with parkinson's.
Maybe seeing the horrors of war like dead teammates and gore could play a factor too. Cigarettes could decrease the effects of stress perhaps. You could have a meter like the supression meter that increases when being confronted with certain horrors.

Reactions: Ralfst3r
Cigarettes could decrease the effects of stress perhaps.

Yes! Press "L" to light up! Maybe ROHOS should feature night maps where we all snipe one another by the light of cigarette tips! :D

On a more serious note, weapon sway is already in RO:O--if you hold your weapon up for long enough, its tip starts to shake. It is true that at first for a few seconds, there is no sway whatsoever.

ROHOS does have a "full breathing model" implemented, which reacts to changing stamina levels. The weapons will also shake from side to side to a very small degree.

While I would disagree about gore affecting weapon sway, I agree that in an ideal world cold weather would play a part. I know that machine gun barrels are supposed to heat up at different rates on different maps already. I say 'in an ideal world' because word has it the closed beta has started, meaning that major or even moderate gameplay changes from here on out are, unfortunately, unlikely.

Upvote 0
In a combat situation, adrenaline will negate most of the effects cold weather. Add to that the fact that you are moving around which will increase your body temperature. It's when you are stationary, waiting for the enemy to come into your vision that you will start to shiver and shake (provided you aren't under fire yet).

As far as seeing dead teammates affecting your abilities goes, I don't imagine you are going to have the time to soak up the horror of seeing dead bodies as you're running for your life.

Upvote 0
As mentioned, adrenaline will keep you going, you really wouldn't even notice the sway.

Would make sense if you were on guard duty and had to sit in one spot for 6 hours, but that's not how this game works.

The only thing applicable would be overall exhaustion, mostly during the final stages of Operation Uranus. Then your body would be depleted of energy reserves and will struggle to emit adrenaline. You will hardly be able to run and holding your gun is a battle in itself. However this also cannot be in the game because nobody would want to play as the germans on that mission if that were the case.

Upvote 0
When a soldier fights in the snow, in water or in the rain I doubt his hands would stay still like in ROOST besides the breathing sway.
If you're in a cold environment, being supressed, have shellshock, etc. I would suggest your ironsights would become as shakey as a guy with parkinson's.
Maybe seeing the horrors of war like dead teammates and gore could play a factor too. Cigarettes could decrease the effects of stress perhaps. You could have a meter like the supression meter that increases when being confronted with certain horrors.
Great ideas!

I also think that in cold weather the characters should randomly sneeze and cough. In order to counter this they would need to make a fire and heat up some tea.

Furthermore, random players should be assigned the "runny nose" debuff, which would require them to blow their noses (there needs to be some indicator for how much snot you have in your nose). Blowing their noses would of course make a sound which could give away their position.

If a player fails to blow his nose before the indicator reaches a critical state, snot would start dripping out of his nose. This would have several disadvantages. First of all, snot would randomly fall onto the players weapon, causing it to become slippery and randomly fall out of the players hand. More importantly tho, snot dripping out of the players nose would cause fellow soldiers to make fun of him, which would add a moral debuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Witzig
Upvote 0
Great ideas!

I also think that in cold weather the characters should randomly sneeze and cough. In order to counter this they would need to make a fire and heat up some tea.

Furthermore, random players should be assigned the "runny nose" debuff, which would require them to blow their noses (there needs to be some indicator for how much snot you have in your nose). Blowing their noses would of course make a sound which could give away their position.

If a player fails to blow his nose before the indicator reaches a critical state, snot would start dripping out of his nose. This would have several disadvantages. First of all, snot would randomly fall onto the players weapon, causing it to become slippery and randomly fall out of the players hand. More importantly tho, snot dripping out of the players nose would cause fellow soldiers to make fun of him, which would add a moral debuff.
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

The sneezing and coughing part, definately yes. Tea? We're talking about Russians and Germans, not poncy English people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Witzig
Upvote 0
Thats some good sarcasm:D. At least I hope it's sarcasm. I mean I absolutely hate the type of gameplay in the recent COD's but thats just too far.

Have you not ever heard of the Onion... their stuff is absolutely over the top sarcasm and insane satire of news and culture...

I love how we all speculate (I do as well) of how real life combat situations take place... it would be absolutely great if a ww2 veteran or any other combat vet came to these forums and put our **** straight (or agreed with our speculations).

One would think that holding a gun (without a support to lean it on; like a tree or wall) for an x amount of minutes would gradually increase sway of the ironsights, or that harsh environmental conditions would also cause a similar effect...

But I like to imagine that these soldiers the game emulates and which we play as are not some pancy *** pussies that get their hands cold and thus have problems handling their weapons. They are soldiers in combat situations, conditions which are strenuous and extreme already, and I really can't imagine that cold weather was their biggest concern when bullets were wizzing by, artillery exploding, or glimpsing flying entrals of their comrades.

I think sway of ironsights should increase gradually the longer one looks down them (RO has this feature), and that Heroes should get less sway because they ideally know how to handle their weapons better (I think in HOS a hero will have the ability to have less sway?)... So I think we're good as is and will be...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i consider you a fool at this point. please stop making ridiculous suggestions based on your very limited knowledge. example "I would suggest your ironsights would become as shakey as a guy with parkinson's." is just plain ignorance and stupidity.

please stop.

Upvote 0