• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sentinel perk

i think this would be a fun class, kind the opposite of the berserker. berserker rushes otu and kicks zed, riot class would be a support class, i would imagaine they would be able to hold shield in one hand and pistol in the other, perks should include being able to attract zed to them and not teammates, damage reduction, higher sheild durabilty, better armor or more of it, and special should be sheild bash that woould stun a zed(s). this would make it so the "tank" would attract zed and be able to hold them off but not be able to kill them too effectivly. maybe make them to be able to carry less weight.if its going to be a damage taker, it should be able to take damage but not deal it out as well as its getting. but i like this idea +1

Upvote 0
If it's a good medic, he will tank certain threats like FPs and SCs in the front lines.

you do realize the medic, is a, "Medic?" its not a tank, its meant to support and keep your teammates alive not tank for them. a tank class would be more fun and more usefull thank a medic tanking for someone. it would be like someone using the berserker for demo support. yea he can do it but not as effectivly.

Upvote 0
ugh, CoD fanboys, they're everywhere!

Ok bro.... I think we are above these types of assumptions in this community.

:rolleyes:

Oh... Necro....

I thought this topic seemed familiar.

New perk: no. Adding some sort of equip-able barrier: yes?

Tier 1: trash can lid. Least protection, most mobility and offensive capability.

Tier 2: Car door. Middle road between all stats.

Tier 3: SWAT shield (the metal one with a glass view slit). Least mobility, most protection, least offensive capability.

Each one can equip carrying degrees of weapons. Trashcan lid can equip pistols. Car door can equip light melee weapons. SWAT shield equips nothing (maybe knife, machete).

I'm just mulling this over for discussions sake. I don't think it would ever happen, nor do I know if I want it to happen.

Would make a cool community mod, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tanking a FP or SC actually IS supporting your team, as a Medics Armor can take it much better than anyone elses.
In adition to that, being a medic who is ONLY behind his team healing it, would be boring. I like that he has a second use.

A tank class would make playing Medic boring and easy, plus it would be boring itself, as it should not dish out alot of damage (since it's role is tanking). So basicly you are standing in front of your buddys and do nothing else than taking hits^^

If you say it is not the job of a Medic to do anything else than healing, than i demand to remove every single fast shooting weapon (Pistols, M14, maybe even LAR) from the Sharpshooter perk as they don't fit in his role.

Upvote 0
Well since this seems to be active again... If something like this -were- ever to be implemented I think it'd be good to take the tankiness away from the medic. He's fast enough to dodge just about everything as it is, and if there was a dedicated tank character there would be no reason for him to jump in front of the large high damage mobs. I'm sure a lot of medic players would be unhappy with that kind of change though, I know I would since it's my main class but... medics are pretty broken.
Worth mentioning that is sort of odd that the two characters that can take the most damage are the fastest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The idea in itself is ill thought out but it COULD work with the adding of a zed that could break thru its defences. Something like the fleshpounds rage hit or maybe a hit from the Brute. Since the argument for adding the Brute is currently active why not take into consideration a counter brute perk similar to this for minimizing the incoming damage from his rage.

I don't support the perk or adding the brute, but if we want more life to the game, it might be a nifty thing to play around with. If done correctly I would be willing to test it atleast.

Upvote 0
Yes medics are already tanks but are they always on the frontlines in front of the whole team? no i kinda like this idea.

That's exactly my thought, the Medic can't monitor his friends' HP when they're behind him.

The Sentinel/Tank/Riot Control perk should give the player a decent defence and enhanced ability to draw aggro. The perk should increase your ability to absorb damage with level, either through damage reduction or by making the shield more efficient/durable.

How about a new weapon where the alternate fire "tags" the enemy, causing it to attack you instead of your allies? This could be handy in drawing Fleshpounds over pipe bombs or helping the Sharpshooter line up a headshot.

Once tagged anyone else shooting the monster abolishes the tag, unless you have the Sentinel perk. And if a Sentinel tries to tag a zed already tagged by another Sentinel the tag doesn't work. Otherwise you could "bounce" a zed back and forth as your friends shot it to death. :p

The overall theme should be support through protection and prevention, so maybe its grenades would stun enemies, causing them to stop or slow down briefly; kind of how the Firebug's grenades are incendiary.

Upvote 0
The last couple of days I have been thinking about a new perk and came up with the 'Technician' Perk, but combined with the ideas for the Sentinel it would actually be more interesting and useful.
These are just some of the ideas, it might be too overkill with every single one of them but here goes:
1. The 'Riot Shield' which has already been talked about.
2. Hand grenades has EMP-effect to stun specimen instead of causing fire like it does for the Firebug (idea also been said by Pugtus) and stops Fleshpounds from raging.
3. A transportable camera and monitor on tripods. The camera should wirelessly transmit to the monitor working as a survaillance camera that can be put up where it is viewable to all players. Useful to prevent surprise attacks.
4. Laser Tripmines which can stick to walls, explosion damage somewhere between hand grenades and pipe bombs. If placed high on a wall it will not be triggered by smaller zeds like Stalkers, Crawlers or Clots.
5. Weld Tool could be used to repair friendly armor (not the Sentinels own armor), maybe only up to 50% or so to be fair. If the idea of 'repairing armor by welding' is too weird (like healing with syringes isnt..) The Sentinel could be able to buy multiple armors, giving them to squadmembers when needed.
6. A form of Stun Gun to attract specimen away from other players (also mentioned by Pugtus).

I know that the camera idea is a bit farout but would still be quite useful a unique. Afterall 'Sentinel' means a 'guard', 'watch', 'lookout' etc.

Upvote 0
I'm not sold on the shield idea either to be frank. It seems to me like too much of a drastic change in gameplay; going from firing guns to standing behind a spate of acetate plastic (although I suppose the same could be said for melee weapons).

I like the idea of a monitoring system. Maybe at high Technician/Sentinel levels the camera can see through invisibility? Too many times has my party been ambushed by the Patriarch. Once again though, a pretty drastic addition.

Upvote 0
Take the sentinel perk and merge it with the engi perk.

You then get a perk based around monitoring and funnelling zeds via cameras set up and barricades.

The cameras would be linked to a hand-held device with a screen on it, like the M7's heal charge counter is on the gun.

You could also get an Aliens-esque zed detector if you wanted.

Upvote 0