• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design SDK for idiots?

RAF_Pstyle

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
I have a map idea, but rather than burden someone else with it, I would like to have a crack myself.

But:
1. I've never made a map before or done any texturing/ modding/ 3D "stuff" in any platform ever
2. I have no idea how to use the SDK... I don't know what a "kismet" or whatever is.. and the difference between an "actor and an "object"..
3. I've looked through [TW]ohnein's "basics explained" thread.. but this kinda reads like gobbledegook to me. Various parameters and codes and values and suchlike...

So, is there an online youtube SDK tutorial or something I can watch.. for really unskilled, but fast learning people? I had a wee look on youtube but could not find anything

Last edited:
I have made a boat load of maps in UnrealED and I have never created a custom 3d model or texture to do it ;)

Plan, plan, plan your map or it will end up like my latest lol

Ya! Only one of the best custom maps out there. Not like my crappy re-make that no one is intrested in :-( I can't make my own maps I have to steal other people stuff. How sad!!! :-(

P.s. goodluck to you!! Let me know if you need help with something ;-)

Upvote 0
Ya! Only one of the best custom maps out there. Not like my crappy re-make that no one is intrested in :-( I can't make my own maps I have to steal other people stuff. How sad!!! :-(

Thank you sir :)

Waiting to work on fixing reported issues with my map and balancing stuff (from Goten)....going to see if TWI can get to the bottom of the custom maps issue first.

In the mean time I just released my cache extractor / downloader this evening and have just started work on a gametype :)

I like to keep busy ;)

I love your map btw - first tank map that got me interested (remake or not). It's quality :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

No one is interested in...???

I look everyday for an updated version! We enjoy the map very much. :)

Upvote 0
No one is interested in...???

I look everyday for an updated version! We enjoy the map very much. :)

To be honest, I've had the updated version done since last week. Just no motivation in doing anything right now, the state the modding is in. It seems theres no urgency to fix the problem, and I'm worried this is going to kill what little we have here as modders :-(

I figured it will take a while till they get to us(modders), so in the mean time im working on map for Rising Storm. At least working on a layout, so as soon as the game is released , I'll have something. Besides, hopefully by then these problems we're having will be resolved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, I've had the updated version done since last week. Just no motivation in doing anything right now, the state the modding is in. It seems theres no urgency to fix the problem, and I'm worried this is going to kill what little we have here as modders :-(

I figured it will take a while till they get to us(modders), so in the mean time im working on map for Rising Storm. At least working on a layout, so as soon as the game is released , I'll have something. Besides, hopefully by then these problems we're having will be resolved.

I am not busting a gut to fix the issues with my map tbh. If it looked like we were making some headway into the issues that appear to stop people from playing custom map servers, I would already have another version out, but tbh I haven't even opened the SDK since my release :eek:

Upvote 0
Guys, we ARE playing the custom maps... On our 24 man server.

Your around for quite some years Mike and you have encourage quite some mappers, but as it is now you see all thing to bright and shiny.
Its time to put of the pink glasses.

There are a few custom mappers here. Most others are in Mod teams.
The map creators who still here face several difficulties. The redirect not really working well. Some maps behave weird on some server. Servers with maps working as should are deserted. And a part of the community doesn't seem to care about custom maps and prefer to play Appartments and Station all over.

Gleedo released a tool to overcome the redirect problems. But then again it need players who use the tool and join servers.

The time to create a decent map comes close to 100+ hours.
To discover empty servers after a release and not a single sign it will be any better in the near future will bring down enthousiasm and the mappers will leave soon or finish the map they work on and leave the scene.
The fact your server run custom maps is great but won't avoid with this.

Some will reply with "Don't slam the door in your face on your way out"
It doesn't matter to most of us anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0