• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2: State of the Game

To anyone: Always a good idea to also state what resolution you are trying to run... :p

That said, I am running a Q6600 OC to 3.0 with a 8800GT on high and average 30-45 fps at 1920 x 1080 (no AA), smooth with no real stuttering and very happy about it.

Mr Hello should be able to at least do the same unless he is trying to run everything on Ultra with higher settings, etc and higher resolution. The processor will be a bit of a bottleneck in that case I believe.

Edit: but yes, that i5 is sweet, I put that in my son's computer that I built a few months ago :D

Thought i'd post up regarding my performance woes with RO2 on my system which I 100% admit is out of date when it comes to a "gaming machine" for today's games, but thought it might be worth a read to some of you and you might be able to help me get better FPS.

Machine specs:
AMD Athlon X2 64 Bit (stock runs @ 2.0 GHZ) overclocked to 2.6GHZ
2 Gigs of PC3200 Memory
Nvidia GTS 450 -- (slightly overclocked but I can't recall what I have it set too since i'm not on my machine right now)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Resolution: 1280 X 1024

I am having to run everything on Low to maintain a 35 - 40 fps average. If I jump on a server with a lot of players (over 30) it is hopeless for me to enjoy playing as my framerate is down to low the 20's. I know this is mainly due to my old and out of date CPU and I've only overclocked my CPU so much just to try and squeeze every single frame I can. Its disappointing b/c even with adding some speed to my system, it seems with the last major patch it made my efforts worthless. I tried the .ini file tweaks as I mentioned in the minor tweak guide, but that left the game looking horrible and really diminished my "fun factor" so besides disabling the steam client window in game; i've returned the ini file back to default for the most part. When doing this I got a better looking gameplay and slight decrease in framerate but only by about 2 - 3 on average according to my FRAPS logs. For my old rig, disabling the in-game steam client window made the biggest difference but this game has made me come to the realization that its time to move on and build a quad core system.

I still love RO1 and RO2 and won't bash developers for creating something I can only fathom in my mind and must give credit where credit is due. With that said though I just wish I could see something done from a patch to possibly help my performance issues on my old rig (wishful thinking I know) so I could get around 50 FPS or so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thought i'd post up regarding my performance woes with RO2 on my system which I 100% admit is out of date when it comes to a "gaming machine" for today's games, but thought it might be worth a read to some of you and you might be able to help me get better FPS.

Machine specs:
AMD Athlon X2 64 Bit (stock runs @ 2.0 GHZ) overclocked to 2.6GHZ
2 Gigs of PC3200 Memory
Nvidia GTS 450 -- (slightly overclocked but I can't recall what I have it set too since i'm not on my machine right now)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Resolution: 1280 X 1024

As you've stated, one key thing that needs chaning is the CPU, an AMD PhenomII x4 Black Edition at 3.2Ghz would be quite a nice step-up while not being expensive, just check the Slots are compatable on your motherboard.

You really ought to get moar RAM, 4gb is probably the least you could get away with, though with 64bit windows you could always get more. Everything else would be fine to possibly run the game on the Higher settings with somewhat higher FPS than you're getting now.

Other than buying components, I supose just making sure all your drivers are up to date could help in little ways here and there.

Upvote 0
As you've stated, one key thing that needs chaning is the CPU, an AMD PhenomII x4 Black Edition at 3.2Ghz would be quite a nice step-up while not being expensive, just check the Slots are compatable on your motherboard.

You really ought to get moar RAM, 4gb is probably the least you could get away with, though with 64bit windows you could always get more. Everything else would be fine to possibly run the game on the Higher settings with somewhat higher FPS than you're getting now.

Other than buying components, I supose just making sure all your drivers are up to date could help in little ways here and there.

I really appreciate the feedback and am currently looking into if my current board could handle that chip (current board is ASUS A8N-SLI Premimum). If memory serves me correctly this board can support it and if that's the case I'll make the jump in the meantime while saving up and building an entirely new intel based machine.

Edit: My board is Socket 939 so I would be required to get a new board to support the AMD PhenomII x4 Black Edition .....time to just build a new rig.

Agreed 4 gigs would be ideal over my lowsy 2 gigs now. I'll have to ebay some PC3200 memory in 1 gig sticks b/c looking currently online at new stuff is just expensive when compared to newer ram that I could get a whole lot more of.

Definately have gone to great lengths to ensure my drivers are up to date as well as running a program that will minimize my system processes while gaming which has help load times significantly.

Played for a few hours last night with around 10 - 12 players getting roughly 40 fps the entire time. I'll bet I got up into the high 50's or low 60's with a new processor. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played for a few hours last night with around 10 - 12 players getting roughly 40 fps the entire time. I'll bet I got up into the high 50's or low 60's with a new processor. :cool:

Doubtful, unless minor performance changes are worth $150....

I have two gaming rigs, the one with the phenom II x4 that cost me 4x as much as my AII performs no better than the one with an Anthlon II 255 3.1. Both have cypruss 5870s. Even though prices are down to $129 for a viable phenom, still not worth it, at this time, imho.

However, RAM on the other hand...

4GB ram on 7 is a joke, that'd be the first thing I add on prior to replacing a CPU. Right now 8gigs of Gskill and Corasair are under $50 US, shipped. Far more viable and performance changer use of $$$ than a cpu, in your case, imho. Dual Core is like the AK47 of computer gaming right now. Cheap, plentiful, and still goes bang.

Upvote 0
Doubtful, unless minor performance changes are worth $150....

I have two gaming rigs, the one with the phenom II x4 that cost me 4x as much as my AII performs no better than the one with an Anthlon II 255 3.1. Both have cypruss 5870s. Even though prices are down to $129 for a viable phenom, still not worth it, at this time, imho.

However, RAM on the other hand...

4GB ram on 7 is a joke, that'd be the first thing I add on prior to replacing a CPU. Right now 8gigs of Gskill and Corasair are under $50 US, shipped. Far more viable and performance changer use of $$$ than a cpu, in your case, imho. Dual Core is like the AK47 of computer gaming right now. Cheap, plentiful, and still goes bang.

Thankfully living here in Austin, TX -- aka the headquarters of AMD I find chips all the time for a great price new and used around the area. I could if needs be pick up the phenom II for less an $60.00 but I'd be replacing my m/b too as mine currently is a SOCKET 939 board.

Ram -- my memory is old (PC3200) and the cheapest i've been able to find it online is around $35.00 a gig(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2749433&CatId=1600).

I just need to come to terms with building a new rig instead of trying to squeeze anymore out of my machine.....or hope that the next major update squeezes more performance for me :cool::IS2:

Upvote 0
New Content

New Content

With TWI's lack of participation in the forums, I turned to a traditional "contact us" form. There was a response in my inbox the very next morning.

My message:

"When dead, the spawn queue completey covers up other players' in-game chat messages and it's very frustrating to try and read them through a player list, nigh impossible. A simple reorganization of these elements could be great, and pressing enter to "ready up" to say you want to spawn would be a great feature, since it's very hard to click the ready button when any steam notification comes up. Making it about twice as big as it is now would be great.

I'm concerned for your fanbase, as it seems like there's no real organization or consistency to tripwire's responses on the forums. I want to play this game into the ground, but it becomes difficult when there seems to be under 200 players online at any given time. Perhaps you're hoping to regain the playerbase with the new addon? We just want to know what you guys are doing, since we're more concerned with the base game than what your focus seems to be on (we can't even tell if you don't communicate with us). A clear section with update notes is much needed. I very much appreciate the effort your team put into the game, and the innovation in this game is really quite impressive."

Their response:

"Yep, three is a load of new content to come - we'll hit pout once everyone gets past the mad holiday season!"

Reactions: fOgGy
Upvote 0
Well I am happy to post up that since the update that was released yesterday I am experiencing a solid 40 - 45 fps now and far less glitches and small hangs. :) :) Without touching my system settings (GPU, CPU, drivers etc) upon installing this update to me this shows that the Tripwire guys are really trying to address performance issues and for someone on much better hardware than me, you should be able to enjoy this game with even higher frame rate.

Granite i'm still on low settings graphically to get the best FPS I am happy to continue playing RO2 and when I upgrade my hardware early next year I'll enjoy this game even more!!!

:IS2:Thank you Tripwire for the performance boost!!!!:IS2:

Upvote 0
Response

Response

I've been playing RO1 since 2006 and pre-ordered RO2 as soon as it was available. I also bought as STEAM gifts for 4 friends. I think the complaints are coming from two groups of people, RO1 vets and new RO players.

RO1 vets expected to get RO1 type gameplay with better graphics and a few new additions. What the RO1 vet crowd needs to accept is RO1 had a small cult like following compared to the rest of the gaming community. It was a niche group of mostly hard core realism WWII history buffs. TWI does love these dedicated group of folks but they would not survive as a company based on pleasing this small group of people. They had to expand and try to attract both groups of people but I fear pissed off not only the vets but the new comers as well.

The second group are the COD, BF players who crossed over to RO in hopes of getting that realism they were missing out on. Some complain about the maps, which to me is insane. Most of the RO1 vets, like I said, love the history involved. Some who know nothing about these real life locations are really missing out. Maps that were recreated 1/1 from the real thing is a dream come true for a gamer and history buff. Maps like Fallen Fighters and Grain Elevator are good examples. When I run out into Fallen Fighters I can't help but imagine, this is what it looked like through their eyes running out to meet the enemy. The same windows in Grain Elevator that we keep getting cut down from, the Germans cursed about as much as we do in-game, for the same reasons.

I have no doubt this game will surpass expectations once custom maps and content come out. The bugs didn't effect me much but I can see the frustration. I believe there were lots of bugs because of how beta testing was handled. During beta testing we would log onto the test server at scheduled times, usually twice a week, for a few hours. Once testing was over the server was shut down. If the server would of been left up 24/7 for testers to really bug hunt and report back to TWI it would of went a lot smother.

I still challange anyone to show me a better multi-player WWII FPS set in Eastern Europe. There is none.

Reactions: oldslowguy
Upvote 0
Thankfully living here in Austin, TX -- aka the headquarters of AMD I find chips all the time for a great price new and used around the area. I could if needs be pick up the phenom II for less an $60.00 but I'd be replacing my m/b too as mine currently is a SOCKET 939 board.

Ram -- my memory is old (PC3200) and the cheapest i've been able to find it online is around $35.00 a gig(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2749433&CatId=1600).

I just need to come to terms with building a new rig instead of trying to squeeze anymore out of my machine.....or hope that the next major update squeezes more performance for me :cool::IS2:

Where do you find cpus for that cheap? Are they used? I live in austin aswell.

Upvote 0
The game is very well made and i want to congratulate you for giving us this gem
i have to say though that im displeased with the thought that weapon unlocks are permanent and cant be chosen by the player,instead,you just have to unlock them and they will be on your gun forever.
what im trying to say is you should give the player the ability to remove something he doesnt like,the scope off the mkb per se,or the rifle scope,which i wouldnt never want it in a close quarters scenario,on the contrary you could give pros and cons to each upgrade,so for ex. if i use the straight mag on the ppsh i will have less rounds but more mobility due to the mags having less weight,but if i choose the drum i have less mobility but bigger mag capacity,so ill just keep spraying :p
if these options could be implemented i would be very happy and i think a lot of ppl would love that too
well ofc if you dont want to change that theres alwayz :IS2:
happy bughunting :cool:

Upvote 0
Stats Problem

Stats Problem

Hey I am confused on my problem obtaining stats. I purchased the game well before the reset and have the achievement to show it. I was never given the stats DLC option in my steam games library. Is there some other way I can receive the update and start gaining stats? Because right now it says i have 3 kills and 8 deaths with over 6 games of total played time. Please help, thanks

Upvote 0
Hey I am confused on my problem obtaining stats. I purchased the game well before the reset and have the achievement to show it. I was never given the stats DLC option in my steam games library. Is there some other way I can receive the update and start gaining stats? Because right now it says i have 3 kills and 8 deaths with over 6 games of total played time. Please help, thanks
you're asking in the wrong place. try the support foum. you'd be better of re-phrasing the question as well. it doesn't make much sense as you asked it.

what's this stats dlc option that you talk about? i never heard of it before.

Upvote 0
Just saw a little steam angel pop up in my bottom right corner of the screen telling me the 10th of January patch is released.
Btw, DirtyRat I thought your favourite map was Kurland. I both hate and love Kurland, so manny good memories :)

Yeh Kurland is one of my fave custom maps for sure :) that is before it was made an official map.

Upvote 0
So was there an update yesterday? Was that why the servers did not come up or only a few came up to use last night? How do I know if I received the download? Is there a history file to look at?
Hey...it's not really that I am totally clueless...or kind of dumb...really. Just overwhelmed by the huge forums and do not know where to look for the latest news. :confused:

Upvote 0