• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ro2, how do I play this thing? Seeming Damage issues..

Ok, so ive had this game for awhile. Ive played through a few of the SP campaign missions, I played a little bit online once or twice but overall find this game kinda annoying to play.

I get its realistic and that 1 shot is supposed to kill. But that is where it gets odd. In the SP Campaign, on normal, the AI seem to take gobs of rounds to kill them. I use the MP40 they give me in the campaign and it seems to have zero accuracy and no power to speak of.

I have unloaded magazines into guys from melee range, I 1-3 shot burst it at mid range, and by mid range I mean about 20-30 feet. Beyond that even single shotting it is a waste of time.

I have grabbed the G43 Rifle and even it seems to have no accuracy. On the Grain Elevator mission, from the first building firing across to the area before the grain elevator, there are alot of Russians poking their heads out...I take time, aim, pop...nothing.....aim, pop, nothing...pop, nothing. Pop, I see blood yet the guy is still alive...

Now lets take this indoors when its close range and ive got an MP40 or in some cases PPSH41. I get right up in a guy's face and burst fire 10 rounds, sometimes all of them, ADS and he just shoots me dead.

Does this game have a weird deviation system for bullets? Does it actually have some odd Hidden hitpoint system? I mean, I know we can be wounded, leg shots, arm shots. But I have taken time to aim for heads with G43s, Ive put 5 rounds into a guys gut with an MP40 and nothing.

Also, are Russian guns just better? I mean, I grabbed an SVT 40 inside a house and pop, dropped em, pop, dropped em. I mean, I dropped like 4 consecutive guys in 1 shot. Just seems German weapons suck..

Also, whats with the horrid lag, even on SP. Ive got settings to medium/low, shadows off, FXAA off and the game is disturbingly laggy. I play other games on full medium settings pretty much no issue. Planetside 2? I play it full medium with shadows off, it works fine.

Overall, I want to like this game, it seems kinda neat but alot of stuff with damage just has me lost. Its like we take 1 round yet its not reciprocated onto the AI.

This game is probably the best multiplayer game out there, but the single player campaign is worthless, just ignore it and go straight to the MP.

If you are having trouble try to find some guide on steam with tips on how to play it, or youtube videos. Because the single player campaign is not gonna teach you anything useful.

Upvote 0
This game is probably the best multiplayer game out there, but the single player campaign is worthless, just ignore it and go straight to the MP.

If you are having trouble try to find some guide on steam with tips on how to play it, or youtube videos. Because the single player campaign is not gonna teach you anything useful.

Couldnt agree more. Keep in mind, don't be afraid to die, capping objectives is more important than your kill death ratio, which again, you should ignore.

Upvote 0

The singleplayer is not worthless and it is the community that have made it so.

singleplayer mode is perfect for understanding the game and the roles in the game giving an opportunity for players to try out roles without being bombarded with the negativity that is just to common on RO2/RS servers when an inexperienced player tries the SL/TL roles (even when nobody else has taken the TL role half way through a map!)

I appreciate RO2 is a good game with potential of being even better. There are several other similar games just as fun Heroes and Generals, Verdun, Festung Europa etc etc
RO2 is not unique

Another advantage of singleplayer is that it can be played offline. Allthough an internet connection is taken for granted by most of us some may very well could lose that privilege in the foreseeable future.

Moskeeto said:
Are you playing on the easiest difficulty? That difficulty adds crosshairs and greatly decreases weapon damage. It's basically what generic FPSs play like.

I have never observed this. Some FPS games have an option to switch crosshairs on or off. I haver never seen seen this or expected to in RO2 sp or mp.

One game that still makes my jaw drop is MW3 singleplayer. That is one example of how good a singleplayer FPS game can be.

The fact that RO2 singleplayer exists shows it was on the agenda at some point. The offline playability should be enough reason to justify in bringing it back for RO2 and spending time, effort and resources on improving it. This would remove some of RO2's exclusiveness and broaden it's customer base and appeal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd forget the sp all together and go mp like the others have said. When looking for mp servers either go realism or classic, stay away from action mode since you are wanting realistic health damage. Pay attention to your ping in the servers as well becasue as your ping increases so will your need to lead your shots. One more thing to keep in mind, some servers use client side hit detection while others use server side, this also changes what i just metioned earlier.

Upvote 0
AI never was TWI's strong suit. Period.....

In RO, single player is good only for training and learning the game mechanics. It never will replace the multi-player experience. Once you get the functions and keys down, play multi-player. Its impossible to compare the two. Apples and oranges.....

I have never finished the single player version of any fps game that offered multi-player. A human opponent playing experience trumps an AI opponent playing experience every time. I simply don't have the time, the patience or enough forehead cushion (for head banging) to bother with "AI". Its called artificial for a reason.....;)

Upvote 0
As these guys have said, singleplayer isn't really worth it, go straight to multipalyer. If you are still feeling uneasy about jumping into a full multiplayer game, you can host a private game with bots using the "steam workshop" tab.
If you are looking for the realistic mode, look for Realism or Classic. Action mode has toned down weapon damage to make it more accessible to new players.

In the singleplayer mode, if you play on easy or normal I believe it defaults to Action mode, so weapons do less damage, if you bump up the difficulty it should change to realism.

But as we said before, go straight to the multipalyer. The Singleplayer is just all the original maps from the multipalyer (not including updated content) but with bots. Multiplayer is a better experience. And as I said before, you can still run the MP maps with bots on your own computer, and this includes the new maps that have been added.

Hope this is a bit more clear than just "GO PLAY MP"

Upvote 0
In RO, single player is good only for training and learning the game mechanics. It never will replace the multi-player experience. Once you get the functions and keys down, play multi-player. Its impossible to compare the two. Apples and oranges.....

Not even that, you can do that by just playing the training scenarios in the multiplayer client, which are the training courses ripped out of the SP campaign, so the SP campaign is worthless in every aspect.

Upvote 0
I'd forget the sp all together and go mp like the others have said. When looking for mp servers either go realism or classic, stay away from action mode since you are wanting realistic health damage. Pay attention to your ping in the servers as well becasue as your ping increases so will your need to lead your shots. One more thing to keep in mind, some servers use client side hit detection while others use server side, this also changes what i just metioned earlier.

I play Planetside 2 as well, it uses Client side hit detect and it seems to really, really suck. Been times I come around a corner and hit a guy with 30 rounds in that game and they kill me or run off...

Generally in that game, under normal situation you need about 10-15 rounds, not 30 like it sometimes takes.

Upvote 0