• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 RO Veteran: Easy to fixes to big annoyances.

RO Veteran: Easy to fixes to big annoyances.

• Agree

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Disagree

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Not necessary, but wouldn't mind

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Too long; didn't read

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Pettyrelic

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 1, 2013
Hi, I've played Red Orchestra since its first mod incarnation. I had a break there, but now I've played RO2 since the beta. I've watched this game evolve into what it is now, and have played through the "infamous" release to the satisfying and polished product we have today. I'm honor level 86 with several classes in Hero status.

Obviously, I'm not a person who's first in the line to complain about things, instead, I've patiently waited for the issues to be fixed.

Still though, there are a few more or less little things that can't be hard to fix or implement, things that would remedy several problems, general inconveniences and annoyances. I've listed a few in the approximate order of importance.

-OPINION WARNING-

1. Make Commander orders and messages more obvious. Commander's text should be a different and unique colour, like red. Perhaps even slightly bigger font size for increased visibility.

2. Following orders should yield points, even a few. This would tremendously encourage following orders instead of mindless deathmatching.

3. The following is a personal opinion, but I would it find it very convenient should all Heroes wield pistols. Since I personally like to often play as a Rifleman, but I'd also like to take on the marathon that is leveling pistols. If I'm playing as a class that has a pistol natively, I rarely have a reason to use it as I have an automatic weapon as my primary.

4. Rocket Barrage is a complete hit or miss. It has only one salvo and it has the highest spread as well as damage. Still, it it's only worth it very, very rarely, and even as "weak" as it is, it's only available in a handful of maps.

5. Another personal opinion; My favorite weapon is easily the K98 rifle, but I also like to play as Commander. Obviously I can't do both at the same time. Since I have an access to the enemy armory as a Hero Commander, why can't I choose an ordinary rifle from my own?

6. Russians could have an ability similar to the Japanese Banzai charge, to a lesser effect though, to not ruin the balance, but to rather compensate for the technological imbalance. For the motherland!

7. I don't know exactly know how the Hero system works. I assume it lets only a several heroes for each team, or class, but should there be more heroes than the limit allows, it shouldn't work on first-come-first-take basis, but rather who has the greatest amount of points towards that class. It'd make playing classes even after maxing them feel less wasteful.

-

That's all for now. I can imagine most of these can be easily implemented.

Of course, none of these are bugs or anything of dramatic importance, but rather just general annoyances and inconveniences that have been bothering me through these two years. Obviously if any of these changes take place, the community is bound to cry about realism or whatever they may come up with, but please, consider my ideas. Also apologizing in advance for typos/bad English.

-

Here's my Steam ID if anyone's up for a game.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/fox_hound

I'm FoxHound in-game. I usually lurk around the RAW Recruits server.
:IS2:

Last edited:
You can change the size and colour of the commander's text messages by editing the ROUI.ini file.

Yessss for more points for following orders. :p

The Russians already have a specific benefit for charging together in large numbers, they are less easily suppressed and suppress the Germans a lot!

Rockets are very situation oriented, but that's why I like them.

As for the rest, not fussed really.

Upvote 0
I don't know how you can compare the discrepancy between the tech of Russians vs Germans and Japanese vs Americans.

The only weapons that have any sort of behavioral difference (and here it's not that big) are the PPSh and MP40, and the DP-28 and MG34. In both examples the weapons are completely interchangeable, whereas having a bolt-action rifle gives you a decent disadvantage in certain situations.

Everything else I agree with completely. According the the TO/E for the RKKA the primary weapon for squad leaders is the rifle (although they were often issued the company's SMG by default).

I don't mind the idea that the 1-2 hero rifles a team has, if any, will have found pistols, so go right ahead. It actually offends me less than the personal stat boosts they get.

Oh, and rocket barrages are useless, please do something about that.

Upvote 0
agree... and one addition:

pls give the Axis the FG_42

RHEINMETALL%20GERMANY%20FG42%20SECOND%20MODEL.%20SN%2004371.%20Cal.%207.92mm.%2020in%20bbl.jpg

Upvote 0
They should make the sides more different, e.g russians get more assault players, as they were many SMG's used by them. The germans should get 1 or 2 more MG's as they concentrated on LMG's a lot, or at least they should give way more assault class slots than what is available now, sometimes there is 3 elite assaults but not one normal assault!

Upvote 0
My opinions in Yellow

-OPINION WARNING-

1. Make Commander orders and messages more obvious. Commander's text should be a different and unique colour, like red. Perhaps even slightly bigger font size for increased visibility.

Not a bad suggestion

2. Following orders should yield points, even a few. This would tremendously encourage following orders instead of mindless deathmatching.

You must be playing on too many random or the wrong servers, have not seen mindless deathmatching. I think the points are fine.

3. The following is a personal opinion, but I would it find it very convenient should all Heroes wield pistols. Since I personally like to often play as a Rifleman, but I'd also like to take on the marathon that is leveling pistols. If I'm playing as a class that has a pistol natively, I rarely have a reason to use it as I have an automatic weapon as my primary.

I'd rather loadouts be map dependent (per the situation). Doesn't matter if I am a hero or not.

4. Rocket Barrage is a complete hit or miss. It has only one salvo and it has the highest spread as well as damage. Still, it it's only worth it very, very rarely, and even as "weak" as it is, it's only available in a handful of maps.

Available artillery, including rockets, should be totally map dependent based on the situation.

5. Another personal opinion; My favorite weapon is easily the K98 rifle, but I also like to play as Commander. Obviously I can't do both at the same time. Since I have an access to the enemy armory as a Hero Commander, why can't I choose an ordinary rifle from my own?

Again, map dependent, but is this even possible with Classic settings? I mostly agree with this one.

TWI really botched this one up. There was way more flexibility for mappers to assign different weapons and ammo counts to player classes in ROOST, but I guess they felt they had to limit things so they could work in that horrible progression system.

6. Russians could have an ability similar to the Japanese Banzai charge, to a lesser effect though, to not ruin the balance, but to rather compensate for the technological imbalance. For the motherland!

I don't personally feel this is necessary.

7. I don't know exactly know how the Hero system works. I assume it lets only a several heroes for each team, or class, but should there be more heroes than the limit allows, it shouldn't work on first-come-first-take basis, but rather who has the greatest amount of points towards that class. It'd make playing classes even after maxing them feel less wasteful.

I'd really rather only a couple of Heroes at best running around, and in general, first come first serve. I'd hate to see players 'bumped' from a position because a late comer with a few more points joins halfway thru a map round.

Again, those are just my opinions.

Upvote 0
I agree with everything except the Russian banzai charge. I think the Russians are not so fearsome in their УРАА, За СТАЛИНА! yell. When the Japs charge with banzai I think OH **** RETREAT! while when then Russians attack I think Nice! Free kills! : D

That's because a melee charging Russian is just as killable as a regular Russian. A banzaiing Jap receives a health buff from his ancestors and can only be dropped with a critical hit.

Upvote 0

I agree with everything but this part. It just sounds stupid. Also the russians are already advantaged in both weaponry and map design, so that would be only an extra unnecessary help

Upvote 0
I agree with everything but this part. It just sounds stupid. Also the russians are already advantaged in both weaponry and map design, so that would be only an extra unnecessary help

Russian allready have something similar right now.

You need 5+ Russian player and sprint forward, that you hear the "Urr

Last edited:
Upvote 0