• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics RO:Tactics - Strategic team planning tool (download)

Hi Rubberneck, sorry for the delay and the problems you were seeing.
I agree, DMZ should definitely have worked. Do you have any firewall software that might have been getting in the way?

When you were trying to host, did you see "Host Ready" written in green, in the box below the User list?

I will try and do some testing here, but if you find anything else please feel free to email me directly.
[email protected]

Upvote 0
Ive been wanting to use this to talk through a map with someone. However if I host and he joins he gets the Please wait for indefinite time. It just doesn't connect. If he hosts, I can't join in and get the same Please wait forever. For both of us it does say "Host ready". I can join in on other servers, he can't. What is he doing wrong? Or how could he fix it?

Upvote 0
When hosting, the program needs to have access to two ports in order to allow users to connect to you. Depending on how your network is set up (ie: router/firewall) you may need to manually forward these ports.
The ports are:

TCP 49300
TCP 49278**

(** This second port is specified by the host when they start the session, but this is the default port. Unless they specifically change this number, it will be 49278.)

http://www.portforward.com

Upvote 0
HI,
Could you explain the installation process. I would like to use it but dont know how to install it properly to make it work. I always play on the RTR's servers, do they use this tool?

Thanks.

RTR use a lot also Core and I think the 13th and Iron Crescendo,

here is VR6rs directions:

To update, follow the below instructions for whichever version you currently have installed.
Version 2.xxx
All you need to do is go to the following folder in your start menu:
Start > Programs > Red Orchestra Tactics, and click ROTactics Launcher
That's it!
If there is an update, it will download it for you automatically and start the program. If there is no update, it will just start ROTactics straight away without downloading anything.
Using "ROTactics Launcher" to start the program as described here will ensure that you are always using the most recent version.
Version 1.0.5_RTR (old)
There are just a few more steps needed to update from the old version.
1. Uninstall the old version (1.0.5) through your Add/Remove Programs control panel.
2. Download this zip file.
3. Extract/unzip the file and you will find "ROTactics_Setup.msi"
4. Run the .msi file to install the new version (you should just be able to click "Next" through all the install prompts)
5. To start the new version, go to Start > Programs > Red Orchestra Tactics, and run "ROTactics Launcher"

Also, a quick note on hosting sessions and port forwarding.
(if you will not be hosting, and just want to be able to join other people's sessions, you can ignore the following)
When hosting, the program needs to have access to two ports in order to allow users to connect to you. Depending on how your network is set up (ie: router/firewall) you may need to manually forward these ports.
The ports are:

TCP 49300
TCP 49278**

(** This second port is specified by the host when they start the session, but this is the default port. Unless they specifically change this number, it will be 49278.)
ROTactics? What's that???
If you don't have any version of ROTactics currently installed, just follow steps 2 - 5 above and you should be all set.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay guys, I just got back from vacation last night.
Thanks Death and Teapot for helping out! :D

Ive been wanting to use this to talk through a map with someone. However if I host and he joins he gets the Please wait for indefinite time. It just doesn't connect. If he hosts, I can't join in and get the same Please wait forever. For both of us it does say "Host ready". I can join in on other servers, he can't. What is he doing wrong? Or how could he fix it?
Thats what I figured yeah, he's on a wireless router. But I tried hosting on another port, for example a basic internet port, but that doesn't work either.
Thats what I figured yeah, he's on a wireless router. But I tried hosting on another port, for example a basic internet port, but that doesn't work either.

Like Death and Teapot mentioned this is most likely a router/firewall issue. He could also be entering an incorrect IP address when trying to join (read below paragraph for more). The link that Death gave is an excellent resource if he needs help configuring his router or learning more about forwarding ports. If he is using any sort of software firewall, he will need to make sure it is not blocking ROTactics also.

Quick question, are other people - aside from this particular friend - able to join you when you are hosting? If not, then you will most likely need to go the router/firewall route as well. If other people ARE able to connect to you, then your friend may just be entering the incorrect IP address when trying to join your session. When you host, the program attempts to display your external IP address, but if there is a problem with retrieving that, it will just show your local IP. To confirm, try going to http://www.whatismyip.com to make sure you have the correct IP to give to your friend.

If you have Xfire and need someone else to test with, hit me up anytime... my xfire id = VR6R

Mad Trooper said:
HI,
Could you explain the installation process. I would like to use it but dont know how to install it properly to make it work. I always play on the RTR's servers, do they use this tool?

Thanks.

Death pretty much summed it up, but if you need any more help getting it going reply here, or shoot me an e-mail and I'll see what I can do.
:cool:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply VR6R, but still no luck. I'm pretty sure he's not mistyping it. We both have the two ports forwarded in our router but still no luck. When he hosts I can't connect. When I host he can't connect. I'm not sure how good of a help this is, but when I open two sessions of the tool and host on one and try to connect on the other it won't let me. Same goes for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I can't seem to solve this.

And no I don't use XFire but am on MSN or IRC regularly.

EDIT:
After testing with another person, he can't join in on any of our hosts, we can't join in on his.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dev: I'm done with my work-weekend. I will be trying to contact you on msn if you have time to try and test a bit.

Snakedude & Rehakles: lol, yea let me see what I can do - should be pretty easy to make a lock button so that only the Host can draw. If you want it where the host can choose who is able to draw and who isn't, it may take a little more time/testing.

Upvote 0
Dev: I'm done with my work-weekend. I will be trying to contact you on msn if you have time to try and test a bit.

Snakedude & Rehakles: lol, yea let me see what I can do - should be pretty easy to make a lock button so that only the Host can draw. If you want it where the host can choose who is able to draw and who isn't, it may take a little more time/testing.

Oh man, a lock button would be great, since usually only I need to be drawing.

If you put that out, you would be teH Secks:D

Upvote 0
I got a few ideas/suggestions:

1. I would love to see a back and forward options, like in paint so you can undo last painted thing. or even undo like 3-5 last painted things
2. icons for smokenates and artillerie, so you can show your mates were to place it ect.
3. new satchel icon, since i havent recognized the current satchel

i was bored so i made icons myself :eek: and a pic of how the hole thing would look like
satchel

artillerie or

smokenate ( suppose to be a cloud with a small nate in the corner)

and finally the hole thing

Upvote 0
Update: Danzig added.

Sorry for the absence guys... my old house finally sold and I have been moving & trying to get settled in for the last couple weeks. Things aren't so crazy anymore so I should have some time very soon to work on some more things.

First up for the next update is the admin lockout option (I haven't forgotten snakedude :p)

O'Shannon, thanks very much for the input and your work on the additional icons, I hope to work some of them in soon. The undo idea is a very good one that I would like to do, but it would involve restructuring the some of the back end stuff. Doable, but time consuming... we'll see.

Upvote 0