• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Debrecen beta2

Debrecen is one of the largest cities in Hungary. The first time I played this map I was totally disappointed, I expected a cool urban fight like Stalingrad, Odessa or Warsaw2, and I got a big field with large metal boxes with giant guns attached to them (what's that all about).

Where is Debrecen in this map?? Call it Debrecen-Outskirts or something please.

Upvote 0
Keystone, you got a great layout for the tank battle. Since its been tested for balance, playability, and performance why not add some historical details to compliment the map. A city in the distance would be cool. Making the terrain a little muddier would be nice too. Opening up the village and farm for infantry and adding more details might be nice. Just little creative touches I think would go along way, without sacrificing performance too much. Just my opinion, but its your map.

Upvote 0
I like the fact that we have another tank only map, glad you removed the clown car and half track. The addition of moving the spawn forward was a nice addition as well. I do wish you would remove the satchels tho as I had to ban another joker (read that as dimwit who did not read the advert that says We log the game name, ip and global id for spawn killers who think logging off real quick works lol) who decided to satchel their own teams tank. Other than that I love the long distance shots and the layout, good job.

Upvote 0
Debrecen is one of the largest cities in Hungary. The first time I played this map I was totally disappointed, I expected a cool urban fight like Stalingrad, Odessa or Warsaw2, and I got a big field with large metal boxes with giant guns attached to them (what's that all about).

Not that Keystone needs any help but for the record on 20 September 1944, Soviet troops captured the Hungarian border town of Arad. The armored clashes for Debrecen (this is a armor only map after all) took place shortly there after near the Hungarian city, not actually in Debrecen proper. The city of Debrecen did eventually fall but the largest tank battles occured around Debrecen, began in early October 1944, lasted for three weeks, and did not actually occur in the city but on the Hungarian plains of the approaches.
The terrain where the three weeks fighting would take place was crisscrossed with rivers and streams. Swamps dotted the area, and areas that were normally dry land frequently turned into bogs several kilometers wide when it rained, as it frequently did in the fall. The road network consisted of a few major thoroughfares and several minor roads that would also turn into a muddy morass when the rains hit. For the two mechanized forces waging war in the area, there would be little room for error. A continuous front in such conditions was out of the question, and a wrong turn at a crossroads during bad weather could immobilize a badly needed unit for several days.
Since there was no continuous front line, the Germans relied on hedgehog positions in key villages and important crossroads to slow the Russians down. The armored battles around Debrecen were important because they slowed what would have been a lightning thrust by the Soviets to capture Budapest, thus knocking Hungary out of the war and opening the southern approaches to the Reich. It was also a classic example of what war on the Eastern Front was all about--maneuver, attack, counterattack and encirclement.
Perhaps to add some "historical" content to his map Keystone could add the major highway and rail bed running from Szolnok to Debrecen which was hotly contested and key for armored movement on both sides. Just a suggestion, no more. I'm not a history "zealot" as such but just trying to provide a little backdrop to what I feel is a very nice, fun armor map. And hope I have not over stepped my bounds here Keystone?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Because the name of the battle was the Battle of Debrecen (just as Battke of Kursk=tank battle, Battle of Stalingrad="cool urban fight"). And I'm very happy that it isn't again a "cool urban fight". Not that I don't like them, but 99% of WW2 was fought in the open country instead in the "cool urban". We have enough urban fights at the moment.

Upvote 0
Above all I appeal to play this map with AB. There is nothing better than realistic tank battles like it was in real. I always wanted to finally play some real tank battle. Just like it's in Combat Mission, IMO the onliest game with some realism but this is a strategy game.
But until now the main problem with playing AB was that there were only big maps in 1943 which was very unbalanced for soviets. I was just sick of this and that's why I decided to make new map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...for which many tankers are gratefull!
I noticed, that your new map is getting added to more and more servers..even the FK#3-server has it now (alongside Orel and BlackDayJuly).:)
I usually play this map on the German Gentlemen's server.

About satchels and teamkillers: right now, there are still guestpasses being handed out, which may have some influence on the amount of teamkilling in ROOst.
I would wait untill after the summer-holidays, to see what can be done to create a "final" version, and stick to beta's for now. After the holiday-season, there will also be more players available again.

In the meantime, have you considered adding muddy terrain (read OneShot's post)?
And how about a larger viewing-distance?

Upvote 0
As for the forward spawns: I noticed, playing as German, that upon losing one of the three capzones required to obtain it, the empty tanks that had spawned there behave rather erratically. Sometimes all of the tanks disappeared when we lost a capzone, sometimes it was only the Stugs, sometimes all of the tanks remained - at least for the time I could see. I think you'd have to take a look on it and see what you can sort out.

Upvote 0

oh!, you should have said earlier, that you were looking for the yes-another-boring-ratbox-infantry-only-linear-fight-snoozefest map development sub-forum. it's on the other page, silly!

(Keystone, sweet map!).

Upvote 0
i have a book on late war tank battles and this is what Happend :) October 1944: The great Soviet drive of the summer crested in Hungary where desparate German units, far closer to their supply depots, finally slowed the Soviet spearheads in eastern Hungary. In late October, near the town of Debrecen two German Korps sought to cut off and destroy a Soviet Mechanized group that had outran its infantry support. Supporting the attacks of the 23 Panzer Division was sPz Abt. 503, equipped with King Tiger tanks. Divided up into kampfgruppes and parceled out to the support the grenadiers, the group claimed a total of 1500(!) tanks and 120 anti-tank guns destroyed in that period. At the same time, three Soviet Corps in and around Debrecen were surrounded and destroyed. it was a big tank battle:p

Upvote 0